• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Demaian Maia is the best WW in the world right now

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/01/demian...winner-but-macdonald-best-fighter-in-division

“Rory is a great fighter,” Maia told MMAjunkie Radio. “For me, he’s the best fighter in the weight category. Even though he lost to Lawler (in 2013 and 2015), I still think he’s the hardest fighter to beat in the category.” - Maia

Like I said earlier I wouldn't argue against Rory. He got very unlucky against Lawler and did good against Wonderboy despite it being a bad matchup for him

Like I said earlier I wouldn't argue against Rory. He got very unlucky against Lawler and did good against Wonderboy despite it being a bad matchup for him

Sadly I think Mas is going to beat up Maia.

I really hope Maia gets a title though.

Maia is a beast, and I'd probably agree that overall he is the best in the division.

But he has some distinct holes in his game, and those holes make Woodley a pretty bad match-up for him

If he can't get Tyron down, which is a distinct possibility, he can't win.

well maybe he doesnt need to take tyron down.. maybe he can go for legs locks from weird angles and positions

He's in the discussion.

I'm not prepared to say anything more, or less than that. And there is certainly ZERO way, to empirically prove the thing.

I can't get the image out of my head of Shields dominating hm on the ground. I don't think he'll be able to take Woodley down.

Shields certainly earned that win... but he didn't "dominate" Maia on the ground. It was a close fight. Another close fight? The one in which Jake beat Tyron.

Maia v Woodley is a great match-up.

Ultimately, though, I agree with you that it all comes down to whether or not Maia can get it to the ground... and that's not a sure thing by a long shot.

Signed.

Maia has a greater chance to beat Woodley then anyone not named GSP.

i think Maia chokes Woodley out and makes it look easy. Its a fight i think Woodley has to finish Maia to win cause first time Maia gets it to the ground the end will be near and there is very little Woodley will be able to do about it

There is no best WW in the world right now, imo. Maia is one of the guys at the top though.

Or
By Majority Decision.
umm brutal KO

tumblr_ob6q2iYrA11up8ga8o1_540.gif

tyron-woodley-ufc-167-knockout.gif

When he's fighting a more technical striker yes, not against a blanket like Maia...

Round 1
Shields opens up with low kicks in the opening minute, keeping Woodley on the outside and moving him toward the fence.

Round 2
Shields gets inside on Woodley and they resume work on the fence

Round 3
Woodley changes levels and puts Shields on the fence to begin the final round

The first line of each round's pbp.

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...ake-shields-tyron-woodley#QvsCMKBh5jKF8Owu.99

If Woodley takes Maia down or thinks he hurts him with punches and follows him to the ground Maia could quickly get a reversal and finish Woodley.
I think Maia would win the wrestling against Woodley pretty easily. Hes such an advanced grappler. Not only has he worked extremely hard to improve his wrestling but he has a whole other element in his Bjj and judo that make his wrestling just really really good and extremely smart/efficient. Bjj guys have this weird way of kinda just finessing takedowns that is pretty foreign to wrestlers. Its very effective. On top of that, Maia has been trained in wrestling by some of the world's best.

Round 1
Shields opens up with low kicks in the opening minute, keeping Woodley on the outside and moving him toward the fence.

Round 2
Shields gets inside on Woodley and they resume work on the fence

Round 3
Woodley changes levels and puts Shields on the fence to begin the final round

The first line of each round's pbp.

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...ake-shields-tyron-woodley#QvsCMKBh5jKF8Owu.99
Try actually watching the fight instead of reading stupid updates, he was 5 feet away from the fence and was only there for like 10 seconds. Still better striker than Maia anyways.

Try actually watching the fight instead of reading stupid updates, he was 5 feet away from the fence and was only there for like 10 seconds.

Tyron was loving the cage. Woodley and Shields was using it as a tool to defend takedowns.

images

images

Here is Woodley taking the fight to the cage, after landing:

Shields has a double-leg stuffed and eats a right from Woodley, who pressures Shields against the fence with 20 seconds left.

A spinning backfist from Woodley puts Shields on rubbery legs momentarily, but Shields stays standing and Woodley holds him on the cage again.

Tyron was loving the cage. Woodley and Shields was using it as a tool to defend takedowns.

images

images

Here is Woodley taking the fight to the cage, after landing:

Shields has a double-leg stuffed and eats a right from Woodley, who pressures Shields against the fence with 20 seconds left.

A spinning backfist from Woodley puts Shields on rubbery legs momentarily, but Shields stays standing and Woodley holds him on the cage again.
Woodley was pushed against the cage by shields attempting a takedown or held shields against the cage in a clinch that isn't backing into it.

Woodley was pushed against the cage by shields attempting a takedown or held shields against the cage in a clinch that isn't backing into it.

Or maybe he's really good at defending the TD with the assistance of the cage.

Who cares. Bump this when Woodley fights Maia in the middle of the cage.

Or maybe he's really good at defending the TD with the assistance of the cage.

Who cares. Bump this when Woodley fights Maia in the middle of the cage.
Everyone defends TD's against the Cage, I was just saying that woodley likely wouldn't do the same thing against Maia as he did against Wonderboy-circling with his back against the cage the whole fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back