• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Demaian Maia is the best WW in the world right now

Woodley stuffs Maia's TD attempts and knocks him out on the feet potentially. I don't see how some fight fans can favor Maia in this fight at all... Woodley has godly TDD.

Jake Shields and Rory MacDonald are far and away the two best welterweights he faced, and they both beat him.

Rory casually beat the brakes off him. If it was a 5 round fight he would have stopped him.

Maia is one of the best, but he doesn't have anywhere near the claim that he's #1.

lol No. Wonderboy and Woodley would both beat Maia.

lol No. Wonderboy and Woodley would both beat Maia.

GSP off roids after a 3 year lay-off probably dominates Maia

Woodley stuffs Maia's TD attempts and knocks him out on the feet potentially. I don't see how some fight fans can favor Maia in this fight at all... Woodley has godly TDD.

Nah. Woodley lives with his back against the cage. That's a bad spot to encounter Maia.

If he beats Masvidal I hope he gets the chance to prove it. He has earned it. However, I think Woodley can stuff enough take downs to tire the 39 year old Maia. KO by Woodley in round 3 and I wish that wasn't the case.

Nah. Woodley lives with his back against the cage. That's a bad spot to encounter Maia.

Usually when he is looking to set up a TD he puts his back to the cage because its a range finder that he can shoot off of if his opponent overcommits.

Against Maia he will look to strike more and hold the center I think. People forget that it was Lawler who had his back to the cage when he got KTFOed and Woodley was in the centerish.

Last edited:
My pupil Flythai is trying to overrate Maia because he's an Anderson Silva fanboy. What a surprise.

Quite possibly true, Maia might be the best WW. I believe his opponents have been taking the wrong approach against him however, such as LaFlare, etc.

For most fighters their best chance against Maia is taking him to the ground.

It may sound wrong but if you don't take him down he'll take you down. They can't stop it. So far no one at WW has looked anything other than helpless in stopping Maia from doing what he wants to do so you might as well try to start in top position where you're much better off.

Jake Shields and Rory MacDonald are far and away the two best welterweights he faced, and they both beat him.

Rory casually beat the brakes off him. If it was a 5 round fight he would have stopped him.

Maia is one of the best, but he doesn't have anywhere near the claim that he's #1.

Those fights were years ago, Maia has improved greatly since then (also, it CAN be debated that he beat Jake), Rory and Jake...not so much. Besides, where are those two now? Maia's taken 13 strikes in his last four fights, he's controlling/subbing bitches left and right...he's on fire, also add how Wonderboy and Woodley fought last weekend...

Since the belt don't mean shit anymore it's safe to say Maia is the uncrowned champion of the division. His wins are more impressive than Woodley and Wonderboy and before I get accused of being a hater I like both of them

Can't wait to see him defend his title against Jorge. WAR Demian Augusto Maia Baptista!

062_Demian_Maia_vs_Dong_Hyun_Kim_gallery_post.0.jpg

I can't say that honestly. I got Woodley until proven different. That said I think Masvidal can easily beat Woodley.

If woodley back pedals or goes against the fence maia will push for takedowns and clinch. I know it sounds retarded but maia has moves that you normally don't see other guys doing , weird leg trips and weight distributions , i can see woodley have some difficulty with it. Woodley need to hold the center of the cage but he can easily overcommit with striking, we have seen it with wonderboy. The punches woodley gave to wonderboy will easily be exploited with takedowns. Maia could be very well going for leg locks from a takedown which woodley can not counter.

Woodley has alot of KO power which is very very difficult to face but maia has so much experience , grappling skill and intellect that he will be a very difficult fight for woodley. Maia also improved his striking compared to what it used to be. Maia also fought at middelweight with pretty hard hitters. Also remember silva ran the fuck away from maia, woodley is not even close to silvas striking and footwork.

What decides the match will be gameplans. Im not sure if woodley knows how to handle maia because he never faced such opponent before. Remember it is 5 rounds maia just needs one takedown or leg trip and it will be over for woodley. Woodley just need one bomb but i don't think he will throw it like that because of overcommiting.

Woodley does not have the ground game of condit and gunnar and probably will get submitted very easily. Woodley is not the tactician that rory is.

Maia is a nightmare for woodley even tho woodley has extremely good takedown defense , maia knows when to engage and when to disengage. When it goes to the ground its over... if woodley lands a bomb and follows maia to the ground maia could still very well submit him. If maia is smart he moves away and along with all the punches that woodley throw and shoulder roll as much as he can to negate those shots.

It will be like the werdum vs cain fight. If woodley will be passive maia will not gass after 3 rounds.

Back