• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Demaian Maia is the best WW in the world right now

More like top 3. If he beats Masvidal and Woodley then we can talk about it...

Those fights were years ago, Maia has improved greatly since then (also, it CAN be debated that he beat Jake), Rory and Jake...not so much. Besides, where are those two now? Maia's taken 13 strikes in his last four fights, he's controlling/subbing bitches left and right...he's on fire, also add how Wonderboy and Woodley fought last weekend...

Sorry but this is just ridiculous.

Demian beat Matt Brown, who has lost to literally everyone. Matt has won a single fight in his last SIX outings. Gunnar Nelson is a never-has-been green prospect who matched up easily for Maia. Magny is a nice win at the time.

Maia's claim to fame is beating Condit, coming off a loss, who is now openly discussing retirement. What does Maia have in common with Woodley, Lawler and Hendricks? They all beat Condit.

FAR AND AWAY the two best welterweights Demian fought were Jake Shields and Rory MacDonald. They both beat him. Rory just walked right through him. No, Maia isn't better now. He certainly isn't a better grappler. He doesn't have the gas tank to pull that off against elite competition. Thats what we know.

Since the belt don't mean shit anymore it's safe to say Maia is the uncrowned champion of the division. His wins are more impressive than Woodley and Wonderboy and before I get accused of being a hater I like both of them

Can't wait to see him defend his title against Jorge. WAR Demian Augusto Maia Baptista!

062_Demian_Maia_vs_Dong_Hyun_Kim_gallery_post.0.jpg

I would reserve judgement on Maia until he faces Platinum Mike Perry.
Maia would catch those hands and be put out cold.

Sorry but this is just ridiculous.

Demian beat Matt Brown, who has lost to literally everyone. Matt has won a single fight in his last SIX outings. Gunnar Nelson is a never-has-been green prospect who matched up easily for Maia. Magny is a nice win at the time.

Maia's claim to fame is beating Condit, coming off a loss, who is now openly discussing retirement. What does Maia have in common with Woodley, Lawler and Hendricks? They all beat Condit.

FAR AND AWAY the two best welterweights Demian fought were Jake Shields and Rory MacDonald. They both beat him. Rory just walked right through him. No, Maia isn't better now. He certainly isn't a better grappler. He doesn't have the gas tank to pull that off against elite competition. Thats what we know.

IMO Maia beat Shields and Rory didn't just walked right through him like that. Maia beat the shit out of Rory in the first round and then gassed badly and clearly lost the last two rounds. That fight could easily have been a draw with Maia winning the first 10-8. Plus, had Maia not gassed in such a strange fashion right after the first like that, he would probably win the fight, like he was easily doing in the first round.

Bummed that Cowboy lost his last fight. I think he can still shake things up at the top of the division.

Crazy how he was at the top of the LW division, then moved to WW and zoomed his way up the rankings there as well. Truly a P4P warrior.

"Styles make fights." --Kenny Florini

Woodley stops Maia.

IMO Maia beat Shields and Rory didn't just walked right through him like that. Maia beat the shit out of Rory in the first round and then gassed badly and clearly lost the last two rounds. That fight could easily have been a draw with Maia winning the first 10-8. Plus, had Maia not gassed in such a strange fashion right after the first like that, he would probably win the fight, like he was easily doing in the first round.

I think you heavily under estimate what Rory did in that fight, here is a pretty good breakdown. Rory McDonald is one of the most interesting fighters imo. He adapts very much to his opponent and is always well prepared. His stance, his out put and pace always has reason.

http://www.scifighting.com/2014/02/27/26559/rory-macdonald-deterring-dangerous-grappler/

Maia ended up getting only 2/22 on takedowns, passing Rory only once (1st round). According to this site.
2ca7b60fb342619526d50aae9a4c17e2.gif

rory2.gif

Maia is the 2nd most deserving of a title shot in the UFC right now (behind only Romero).

I think Woodley beats him though so your thread is kind of dumb.

Now if you want to crown an unofficial champion at 185lbs I can get on board with that.

Now I know you're not a long time fan cause if you were then you would know Diaz was the strikeforce 170 champ right before coming here and also that he did beat condit. So your opinion doesn't mean shit because you really don't know much.

Do some digging and you'll find out who Diaz used to be

I've been watching MMA since 1993, and have hardly ever taken a break from it.

Diaz did not beat Condit. He lost. It's a matter of record. So you're wrong on that as well.

Diaz did not beat Condit. He lost. It's a matter of record. So you're wrong on that as well.
What the fuck ever lol!

Nick didnt lose shit.

Top 5 probably. He really hasn't proven much against the top guys yet.

What the fuck ever lol!

Nick didnt lose shit.

If Diaz didn't lose to Condit then why did GSP fight Condit before he fought Diaz ? It was widely understood at the time that the Condit / Diaz fight was for a title shot.

Dumbass.

His easy disposal of Gunnar Nelson and Carlos Condit were certainly impressive.

If Diaz didn't lose to Condit then why did GSP fight Condit before he fought Diaz ? It was widely understood at the time that the Condit / Diaz fight was for a title shot.

Dumbass.
Well that was mean :(

I don't know how can you get that image in your head since it never happened... Shields won the fight, but not the ground. Battle, Maia had the more dominant positions, shields only reversed him 2 times and proceeded to not do jack shit but staying in Maia's guard. He won the fith by throwing awful kicks that didn't do shit, but were enough to give him the fight
I guess it's because Shields had some success on the ground which is something I never saw anyone have with Maia. I'll give you he didn't dominate but did out grapple Maia (as all analysts agreed). By your rational, Maia must have the worst striking ever, being outstruck by Shields.

Did you watch the fight? I don't care what the record says
I thought Diaz won and so did gsp and majority of people on here

Record aside who did you score it for ?

Also out of curiosity how did you score condit lawler

Hyperbolic here.

Rory spent a good amount of time on the bottom in the first round - do you remember how that round ended? Rory put Maia in a shoulder lock to sweep and escape. From that point on Rory casually beat the dogsh*t out of Maia.

Far and away Shields and Rory are the two best welterweights Maia has faced. He lost to both of them - from what we know, he doesn't have the gas tank to dominate elite level opponents.

It is fair to say Maia is one of the best welterweights, but there isn't a remote stretch of an argument to say he's "the best" at any point in his career.

Back