Dealing with contradicting, one upper, and needs to be right types of people.

I have a friend that I contradict all of the time, but that's because he makes shit up and acts like it's a fact. It gets worse when he drinks and doesn't think before speaking. His most memorable/laughable statement was "I don't need to drink much water because I have 2 baths a day and the body takes a lot of water in when I do that".
{<doc}

Unless you're like that guy, Edward sounds like a dick.

Just disengage. Why waste your time with someone who is wasting your time? You'll only meet a handful of people in life worth spending time with. Focus on quality people.

I know a guy way worse than that.

Nothing pissed me off more than "we will just have to agree to disagree" about some irrefutable fact. So maybe I am that guy.

My advice play with your phone till you find someone better to talk to.

TS sounds like a guy who is wrong about most things and doesn't like being corrected!!

Haha just kidding. It's hard to tell when someone is being a "topper" or whether or not they're just impulsive and wanting to share stories. Sometimes I can come off that way because I get triggered by a story I hear, then I tell a similar story it made me think of. It's not my fault I got out there is the world and have stories.

But you seem to be talking about a guy who is more sanctimonious, he's not out doing you with stories he's just contradicting everything you say? Sounds super fucking annoying.

The downside of working at home is I won't be able to see my former officemate who seems to be an expert on everything. I was the only one in our group who would call him out on his BS as I am, actually an expert in everything.
Next time you see him, punch him like you did to your other co-worker a couple of years back

{<RR}

I feel sorry for them so I just let them be.

Let them do them. Live and let die.

I stopped hanging out with a guy who was like this. He was one of the most insecure people I've ever met. Had to one-up everybody (other dudes especially) over the most insignificant shit.

If I meet up with him and I'm wearing a sweater, he condescendingly goes, "What kind of sweater is that. Look at the sweater I got. It costs so and so and it's made with this material."

I mentioned that a guy I know who's in an Army Special Ops unit and the dude is incredibly fit and strong and he might hang out with us. Guy's response : "Pfft I'd still knock his ass out."

Some female friends of ours brings out a male friend of theirs. I think the guy is pretty cool but my "friend" is like, "I'm still better looking than him so he's no threat."

Dude sees a jacked guy, "Whatever, I'm taller than him."

It's like this guy sees a threat in everyone has to put them down to make himself feel better. There were other reasons I stopped hanging out with him but the above reason alone really got on my nerves after awhile.

Hi, I’m Edward. Thanks, TS. I was planning on making a thread about my friend who is a moron and wrong about everything, but thanks for saving me the time.

Next time you see him, punch him like you did to your other co-worker a couple of years back

{<RR}
He's annoying. The other one was an asshole who thinks he can run his mouth without consequences.

<Fedor23>

Unfortunately I think I'm "that guy" most of the time. I hate it about myself and wish I could change it. I haven't always been this way though, life sorta made me into the contradicting person.

Unfortunately I think I'm "that guy" most of the time. I hate it about myself and wish I could change it. I haven't always been this way though, life sorta made me into the contradicting person.

By acknowledging that problem you're halfway through it

I know a guy way worse than that.

Nothing pissed me off more than "we will just have to agree to disagree" about some irrefutable fact. So maybe I am that guy.

My advice play with your phone till you find someone better to talk to.
I hate people like that. We will agree to disagree about a known accepted scientific theory or about something that is not just opinion but based on true facts. You show them multiple peer reviewed studies and articles from reputable sources. They say that shit. Then you ask them for some proof and they bring up natural news or some crazy conspiracy theory website. GTFO. It’s infuriating.

I came back from a wedding in San Diego, it was a beautiful location by the beach, and I got see some old friends, as well as meeting new people, everything was perfect, except for one thing...

I shared a condo style hotel with one of my former "best friends" and someone else, well this "former best friend" we are going to call him "Edward'. I used to hang out with Edward all the time, and we became really good friends some 10 years ago, so why not carpool with him and share the hotel as well. Sounds good so far? Well it wasn't

I honestly have forgotten why I stopped hanging out with the guy, but on the drive to San Diego he reminded me quickly as to why.

I've never met ANYONE with such a huge need to be constantly contradicting anything I say; and don't get me wrong, I'm very open minded, I can hear your side and entertain the idea and discuss it, but when you realize that there's nothing you can talk about without having to hear "well actually, it's not that way because" it gets REALLY ANNOYING quick.

Unfortunately that wasn't it, for many of the stories I talked about, he had or knew someone who did that very thing, but way better, in a much more spectacular way, shape, or form. And to make matters worst, I would start dropping subjects because honestly I didn't care to debate after the 30th time I got contradicted on an issue, but he wouldn't drop it, he would INSIST on getting his point across.

The worst part about this is, that he doesn't act that way with other people, in fact, he goes out of his way to make other people like him, he makes them laugh, acts really nicely etc. But with me it's a constant need to be right, and to put down the things I do or say.

I'm glad to be home, and not having to deal with Edward anymore.

Anyone ever deal with people like that? What kind of personality disorder is this?

Are you sure Edward is an ex-friend and not an ex-wife? Because he sounds more like an ex-wife.

Are you sure Edward is an ex-friend and not an ex-wife? Because he sounds more like an ex-wife.

Jeeez my ex girlfriend was like that the last couple of months of our relationship. I could say the sky is blue and she'd contradict me like I was an idiot for saying that...

I came back from a wedding in San Diego, it was a beautiful location by the beach, and I got see some old friends, as well as meeting new people, everything was perfect, except for one thing...

I shared a condo style hotel with one of my former "best friends" and someone else, well this "former best friend" we are going to call him "Edward'. I used to hang out with Edward all the time, and we became really good friends some 10 years ago, so why not carpool with him and share the hotel as well. Sounds good so far? Well it wasn't

I honestly have forgotten why I stopped hanging out with the guy, but on the drive to San Diego he reminded me quickly as to why.

I've never met ANYONE with such a huge need to be constantly contradicting anything I say; and don't get me wrong, I'm very open minded, I can hear your side and entertain the idea and discuss it, but when you realize that there's nothing you can talk about without having to hear "well actually, it's not that way because" it gets REALLY ANNOYING quick.

Unfortunately that wasn't it, for many of the stories I talked about, he had or knew someone who did that very thing, but way better, in a much more spectacular way, shape, or form. And to make matters worst, I would start dropping subjects because honestly I didn't care to debate after the 30th time I got contradicted on an issue, but he wouldn't drop it, he would INSIST on getting his point across.

The worst part about this is, that he doesn't act that way with other people, in fact, he goes out of his way to make other people like him, he makes them laugh, acts really nicely etc. But with me it's a constant need to be right, and to put down the things I do or say.

I'm glad to be home, and not having to deal with Edward anymore.

Anyone ever deal with people like that? What kind of personality disorder is this?

Maybe you’re just wrong about a lot of stuff. Maybe you reminded him of why he doesn’t talk to you much anymore.

Not gonna lie, when it comes to my friends sometimes I contradict them just for the hell of it. Never really cared for 1 upping people though

<This7> That's what I'm talkin' bout.
Jeeez my ex girlfriend was like that the last couple of months of our relationship. I could say the sky is blue and she'd contradict me like I was an idiot for saying that...

So, how long were you and 'Edward' together, @Estemachine ?

Used to work with a guy like that. My co-workers and I referred to him as "Actually", because he started so many of his corrective/one upper statements with that word.

Narcissists generally speaking. People are incapable of empathizing with your experiences and so relate everything back to themselves. They seek out attention so they're superficially charming at first. But after that, they need to be the center of everything.

Or he's insecure and is one of those people who constantly puts other people's experiences down so that his own shortcomings don't seem as glaring. IF your shit isn't as awesome as you think, it's okay that his shit isn't awesome either.

Or he's just tone deaf and doesn't realize he's doing it.

Or you're actually wrong on a lot of stuff you say and he's tired of having to correct you. ;)

But probably the 1st or 2nd one.

Back