Deadlift grip question

This is not true. Double overhand will strengthen your grip more than a mixed grip. That is why it is often recommended to use double overhand whenever possible.

most guys will never reach the point where grip is a serious problem in the deadlift. if you are having grip problems i would hazard its because you are killing your hands pulling double overhand on your warm up sets, or because you don't use chalk

most guys will never reach the point where grip is a serious problem in the deadlift. if you are having grip problems i would hazard its because you are killing your hands pulling double overhand on your warm up sets, or because you don't use chalk

No, I don't have grip problems because I do so much pulling with a double overhand grip.

No, I don't have grip problems because I do so much pulling with a double overhand grip.

i never deadlift with a double overhand grip, and would guess that I am solid for 200+ lbs over my max grip-wise

Everyone is against it, but I'm gonna start using straps from now on.

I think I have a terrible "build" for mixed grip, the arm that's suppinated sticks out a lot for me, so deadlifting with a mixed grip is extremely strange to me - if I want to make enough space so that the elbow of the suppinated arm doesn't get in the way of my knee, I have to move it like 2 or 3 inches further out than the other arm, so I don't think it's very safe for me. I've been trying the hook grip and my thumbs are cracking all the time, going numb, and it really hurts, the pain on the thumb joint is just really bad, I sometimes have to jump up and down like a girl, after finishing a set of rows. I'm probably not gonna bother with getting used to it anymore and use straps instead.

So I'll be using straps and spend extra time doing static double overhand holds.
If I was to compete once though, I guess I would have to get a bit more used to the hook grip, but so far I just don't find it worth it, I'm really afraid about doing something to my thumbs.

I think I have a terrible "build" for mixed grip, the arm that's suppinated sticks out a lot for me, so deadlifting with a mixed grip is extremely strange to me - if I want to make enough space so that the elbow of the suppinated arm doesn't get in the way of my knee, I have to move it like 2 or 3 inches further out than the other arm, so I don't think it's very safe for me. I've been trying the hook grip and my thumbs are cracking all the time, going numb, and it really hurts, the pain on the thumb joint is just really bad, I sometimes have to jump up and down like a girl, after finishing a set of rows. I'm probably not gonna bother with getting used to it anymore and use straps instead.

So I'll be using straps and spend extra time doing static double overhand holds.
If I was to compete once though, I guess I would have to get a bit more used to the hook grip, but so far I just don't find it worth it, I'm really afraid about doing something to my thumbs.

You should just start out hook grip with your warmups and gradually use it more and more. This is what I have been doing and while I still can't pull near my max deadlift with hook grip, I notice no issues with my thumbs using it for cleans. I'm good til about 315 for reps and I've pulled 405 for a single w/ hook but I'm sure I could get more if I attempted it.

Stop being a bitch and just pull hook grip.

Your saying that going double overhand is not a good idea right?

i never deadlift with a double overhand grip, and would guess that I am solid for 200+ lbs over my max grip-wise

if you could deadlift 455 double overhand I would be very impressed.. is this a typo?

use a mixed grip, there is no reason to double overhand. you arent going to develop imbalances or anything silly like that.

I rarely, if ever switch my grip. My left (supinated hand) spinal erector is noticeably bigger and stronger than my right.

Probably just a coincidence, though, right?

I rarely, if ever switch my grip. My left (supinated hand) spinal erector is noticeably bigger and stronger than my right.

Probably just a coincidence, though, right?

its probably just your imagination dude. i never switch my grip and my erectors are doing fine

if you could deadlift 455 double overhand I would be very impressed.. is this a typo?

i think you misunderstood my post. i am good for 200lbs over my max deadlift with a mixed grip. imaybe even more, who knows. i never do double overhands so i have no idea what my "max" is with them. what is the point of deadlifting with a grip that has the bar rolling out of your hands, especially when your grip is already solid?

its probably just your imagination dude. i never switch my grip and my erectors are doing fine

You're right. Fuck I could swear it feels bigger. My sense of touch and ability to judge the size of things must be fucked.

People who have noticed similar things and attributed lower back injuries to the fact they never switch their grip and have one erector stronger and more developed than the other must also be imagining things.

Use DoH for as long as possible because it feels better. Pretty simple.

i think you misunderstood my post. i am good for 200lbs over my max deadlift with a mixed grip. imaybe even more, who knows. i never do double overhands so i have no idea what my "max" is with them. what is the point of deadlifting with a grip that has the bar rolling out of your hands, especially when your grip is already solid?

Gotcha.

So what about for people that are grip limited? Personally, I never do double overhand and my grip is solid (765 rack pull w/ just chalk). Regardless, I highly advocate double overhand for anyone that does have grip problems. Which I imagine most people on here do.

edit: FWIW I didn't always have good grip, either. When I was in the high 300s-low 400s range of deadlift I would lose my grip from time to time and I feel using double overhand for my warmups + holds for time on my last rep of my last set helped that dramatically.

Gotcha.

So what about for people that are grip limited? Personally, I never do double overhand and my grip is solid (765 rack pull w/ just chalk). Regardless, I highly advocate double overhand for anyone that does have grip problems. Which I imagine most people on here do.

edit: FWIW I didn't always have good grip, either. When I was in the high 300s-low 400s range of deadlift I would lose my grip from time to time and I feel using double overhand for my warmups + holds for time on my last rep of my last set helped that dramatically.

Are the people who are "grip limited" really having that problem, or are they just beginners who are not using chalk and like doing a lot of reps?

If your grip is solid for 765 (which I assume is hundreds of pounds over your PR from the floor) I see no reason to do extra grip work.

I'm not even convinced that pulling double overhand does anything significant for grip. The bar doesn't roll with a mixed grip. Sure it tears up your hands and hurts, but does it carry over to the mixed grip as well as simply pulling with a mixed grip? Rack pulls provide plenty of grip work by themselves.

Are the people who are "grip limited" really having that problem, or are they just beginners who are not using chalk and like doing a lot of reps?
Yes. As mentioned, I was one of them. I thought it basically went without saying that people aren't doing high rep deadlifts. To be honest, only jackasses do that. You are probably somewhat right about the chalk part, people probably don't realize how huge of a difference it makes.
If your grip is solid for 765 (which I assume is hundreds of pounds over your PR from the floor) I see no reason to do extra grip work.
It is about 200 pounds more than I can pull from the floor, and no, I don't do any grip work. Though as mentioned in my previous post, I did at one point and attribute my strong grip now in part to doing it.
I'm not even convinced that pulling double overhand does anything significant for grip. The bar doesn't roll with a mixed grip. Sure it tears up your hands and hurts, but does it carry over to the mixed grip as well as simply pulling with a mixed grip? Rack pulls provide plenty of grip work by themselves.
You are probably right that rack pulls would be better for working grip than double overhand.

If I'm 145 and grip starts to open at 250 is that weak grip?

I switch every few lifts, but not every lift. I just don't think you should do the same grip EVERY time.

Back