Deadlift grip question

I don't use chalk most of the time. Unless I am pulling over 5 plates and even then I don't always do it. It is mostly due to me being OCD about having dirty hands.

Rckvl, that much weight in that time frame was most certainly noob gains. You think experienced lifters can add 15-20 lbs a month to their max?

This comment just brought it home for me. I'm a noob to deadlifts and the 5x5 has me going up 10 lbs a week which I have had no problems with. I know in the back of my mind that I'll eventually stall but another part of me knew that I was just going to keep going up 450 lbs. a year until I became some sort of superhuman freak, went on a rampage, and had to be brought down by the national guard. Thanks for fucking up my dreams cratos.

Oh and to be somewhat thread related I'm going to use DOH until a finger comes off then I guess I'll reluctantly switch.

Wait if my left hand if supinated and my right is overhand, which one is taking more 'strain'? however little it is.

The fact that mixed grip is superior to DOH indicates that the supinated hand is taking on more strain.

The fact that mixed grip is superior to DOH indicates that the supinated hand is taking on more strain.

What makes you say that?

Mixed grip is superior to DOH because it stops the bar from trying to roll out of your hands.

I'm not really sure what he means by "strain", but I feel that the hand that is over gets the most work.

What makes you say that?

Mixed grip is superior to DOH because it stops the bar from trying to roll out of your hands.

When you pull mixed, the weak link moves from your grip to your back. That is why I said the supinated side is "taking on more strain" because it is what allows you to lift more weight. But then again, perhaps the pronated side is technically "straining more" since it is having to keep up with the stronger side. I guess TS needs to define terms for us because I would say your back is strained more on the supinated side and your grip is strained more on the pronated side.

This is what you said earlier in the thread...

I rarely, if ever switch my grip. My left (supinated hand) spinal erector is noticeably bigger and stronger than my right.

Probably just a coincidence, though, right?

This tells me that your back is working harder on the supinated side (unless you have an equal imbalance in another muscle on your other side that resulted from deadlifting MG).

You pull more mixed grip because you have equal number of fingers on each side of the bar. Double overhand you have 8 against 2 thumbs -> less power. Both sides in the mixed grip are pretty evenly stressed concerning grip imo, but I suppose the supinated one is stressed slightly more - I'm deducting this from the fact that if I were to hold on to a pullup bar as long as I could, I would use the pronated grip, thus supinated is weaker, and if it used to hold the same weight it tries harder, compared to the other arm.

For the guys that pull DOH for their warm-ups, do you add chalk before switching to mixed grip or do you switch to mixed grip and then add chalk? I've always gone DOH -> mixed -> mixed + chalk since my gym frowns upon chalk use so I try to limit it to my heaviest sets.

I've found that my gym does not frown so much about using chalk after they saw me deadlift 400 lbs. I mean, having strong people in your gym is good, no?:icon_chee

I tried to alternate and it felt very uncomfortable. I felt like it took away from the quality of my set, so I don't do it. My grip is not as important as the major muscle groups I should be focusing on. I'm sure your grip gets enough work in a well balanced routine.

I'm not really sure what he means by "strain", but I feel that the hand that is over gets the most work.

Which should be fine, bc in most cases the dominant hand would be the under.

Wait if my left hand if supinated and my right is overhand, which one is taking more 'strain'? however little it is.

Neither.

I don't know of any big deadlifters (800+) that worry about developing "muscle imbalances" from using a mixed grip. It just doesn't happen. The human body is also pretty good at moving assymetrical loads, as these are most common in real life.

Secondly, even if there was some small difference in how the load is distributed throughout the body, it would be easily compensated for by all the other heavy torso work you are (or should be) doing.

There ain't any point in stressing over this kind of shit IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
You pull more mixed grip because you have equal number of fingers on each side of the bar. Double overhand you have 8 against 2 thumbs -> less power. Both sides in the mixed grip are pretty evenly stressed concerning grip imo, but I suppose the supinated one is stressed slightly more - I'm deducting this from the fact that if I were to hold on to a pullup bar as long as I could, I would use the pronated grip, thus supinated is weaker, and if it used to hold the same weight it tries harder, compared to the other arm.
I don't think mixed grip would help for holding on a pullup bar, as the bar doesn't try to roll out of your hand as a barbell does in a deadlift. For trying to hold as long as possible, I would use hook grip actually.

I do DOH for deadlift to develop open hand strength, and hook grip on heavy attempts. This works fine for now, but I'm not against using mixed grip in the future if hook grip can't cut it at some point.

i switch it up. i do DOH on everything under 315 then switch to swith grip alternating betweem sets. i am just as strong with either side up or down.

one say when i become a man i will get used to hook.

Back