Deadlift grip question

Baconator69**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today I started using an over/under grip. Should I rotate which hand is over/under each set?

Thanks.

Yes.

Alternate either every session or every set.

It's not critical that you do, but I think most people would say it's a good idea.

I use double over hand grip with wrist straps so I can lift heavier.

I used to alternate every set. Then I hurt my wrist and couldn't rotate it into the position to put it under for several months. I actually started to notice a lot of strength imbalances and my right hand grip (which is my non-dominant hand) became much more secure than my left hand grip.

Problem is since corrected. FWIW I like hook grip too, not everyone is serious enough to do it though and if you don't plan on doing olympic lifts it might not be as worth-while to learn to use hook grip.

Lol. I've been using the same grip all the time. I better start alternating.

Its probably not that important and there are plenty of strong guys on here that don't alternate (well not anymore, but there were..hahaha)

its just something I noticed about my routine that I didn't really like.

I don't alternate. Right hand down and left hand up just feels more natural to me. It might result in some imbalance, but that's a problem I'll address if I run into it.

I don't alternate. Right hand down and left hand up just feels more natural to me. It might result in some imbalance, but that's a problem I'll address if I run into it.

That's what I do.

Yes, rotate. Not only will it reduce the chances of developing an imbalance but it may come in handy if for some reason you are unable to supinate the hand you usually supinate.

I used to always supinate my right hand for heavy lifts but started to rotate a couple of months back. A couple of weeks ago my right bicep felt slightly strained while deadlifting so I focused on supinating my left hand for the remainder of the session and was able to pull right at my 1RM. Had I not been practicing there is no way I'd have even come close.

If possible it's good to do hook grip because it prevents uneven torque on the back. This isn't always possible (hook grip and rack pulls are not a fun combination), and in that case it's good to alternate/rotate which hand is over/under.

Thanks for the replies, I noticed that I can lift ALOT more weight with the over/under grip, from about 230 max with a regular grip (I guess my grip strength needs work) to 325 1 rep max with over under. Its quite a difference I was surprised actually.

Today I started using an over/under grip. Should I rotate which hand is over/under each set?

Thanks.

It's up to you. If you can without issue, sure. If you can't, I wouldn't worry about it.

It seems there's a massive hook grip fad on here lately. Fuck that. If you are worried about imbalances, then just switch your grip. If you find you pull better with your mixed grip one way, use that way for your heaviest set/reps and use the other way for your warm ups or easier sets/reps

At which % of BW you were forced do do mixed or hook grip, doing dl?

At which % of BW you were forced do do mixed or hook grip, doing dl?

I weigh between 185-190 lbs at 235 dead lift regular weight I felt the weight kinda dropping out of my grip. The over under gave me no stress on my hands really.

Im going to use regular grip for warm ups to try and strengthen my forearm/grip and the over under for my 1x5 set.

I am pretty sure I could deadlift my max with DOH but I don't ever try, I try to keep failed attempts to a minimum. It's easy to just use a mixed grip anytime I go for a PR. I have been doing 10+ rep deadlifts for a while now, and I always use double overhand on all of it. I did 350 for 15 last time, double overhand.

use a mixed grip, there is no reason to double overhand. you arent going to develop imbalances or anything silly like that. hook grip also works but it hurts and the advantage is negligible (just look at 90% of the top pullers all using mixed grip). you also can use the same hand setup every time with no problems, so don't bother alternating

use a mixed grip, there is no reason to double overhand. you arent going to develop imbalances or anything silly like that. hook grip also works but it hurts and the advantage is negligible (just look at 90% of the top pullers all using mixed grip)

This is not true. Double overhand will strengthen your grip more than a mixed grip. That is why it is often recommended to use double overhand whenever possible.

Back