deadlift 1x5 or 5x5?

dugforeva

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just switched from my own designed 2 day split routine to the stronglifts 5x5 routine, mainly to focus on the big lifts and to stick to a tried and true method.

I was a little puzzled by the deadlift routine though. Why only 1 set of 5 as opposed to 5x5?

Is doing a 5x5 deadlift a problem if squatting 3 times a week?

Should I stick to the routine and do a 1x5 or just continue doing a 5x5 on deadlifts which I had been doing prior?

I think it's probably 5 singles, not 1 set of 5 reps.

I think the idea is you are supposed to warm up and then do one heavy ass set of 5, trying to push up that 5rm every week. Doing only one set lets you pour all your efforts into it. The only good deadlift is a heavy fucking deadlift.

I'm in week 8 of the stronglifts 5x5.. 1x5 deadlifts is plenty, i couldn't do 5x5 of it.

(i am also a weakling)

Heavy 5RM deads are so tough that it may be enough for most lifters as opposed to squats and presses which you may want to work sets across. Personally, my form turns to shit once I get up in multiple sets of deads so I try to hit my 5RM and increase the weight the next workout.

Heavy deadlifts are good, but sub-maximal deadlifts in volume also work well too. The Finns have produced the greatest deadlifters in the world and the foundation of their program was the Finnish Deadlift Routine (Actually there is a FDL 1 and FDL 2) Most of the program is sub-maximal volume and you really only pile on the maximal weight in the later stages. I used it several times and it was as good as anything I have ever done for the deadlift. I remember looking at the percentages-some of them were like Bent Leg Deadlift 4x10 with 29% of max and I am thinking "there is no way I can make gains on that--I will lose strength" I made incredible strength gains and the muscles on my upper back became my predominant developmental feature after 3 months. I am currently writing an article entitled "The Case for High Repetition Deadlifts" and hope to have it done very soon ( I know, I have promised this earlier, have been busy) but I have seen high reps work--its quite different from high rep squats where you just about kill yourself to get the reps in--much, much different--anyway, I will have the article done my May 31st ( my 44th birthday and though I plan on submitting it for publication, it will makes it's debut here on S-Dog)

keith

Heavy deadlifts are good, but sub-maximal deadlifts in volume also work well too. The Finns have produced the greatest deadlifters in the world and the foundation of their program was the Finnish Deadlift Routine (Actually there is a FDL 1 and FDL 2) Most of the program is sub-maximal volume and you really only pile on the maximal weight in the later stages. I used it several times and it was as good as anything I have ever done for the deadlift. I remember looking at the percentages-some of them were like Bent Leg Deadlift 4x10 with 29% of max and I am thinking "there is no way I can make gains on that--I will lose strength" I made incredible strength gains and the muscles on my upper back became my predominant developmental feature after 3 months. I am currently writing an article entitled "The Case for High Repetition Deadlifts" and hope to have it done very soon ( I know, I have promised this earlier, have been busy) but I have seen high reps work--its quite different from high rep squats where you just about kill yourself to get the reps in--much, much different--anyway, I will have the article done my May 31st ( my 44th birthday and though I plan on submitting it for publication, it will makes it's debut here on S-Dog)

keith

Denture Dog is pleased.

Smilingdog21.jpg

thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll probably just stick to the routine exactly for now.

I'll look forward to reading that article keith, you write good stuff.

keith

Does this imply that you could Deadlift more than once a week since you're lifting far less than 90% of your 1RM?

keith

Makes me proud to be a Finn

thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll probably just stick to the routine exactly for now.

I'll look forward to reading that article keith, you write good stuff.

Seriously that should be good stuff and just in time for some new summer program action.

I know Mark Rippetoe only advise one TRUE deadlift set per session...so take from that what you will.

And nice post, Keith.

Does this imply that you could Deadlift more than once a week since you're lifting far less than 90% of your 1RM?

The Finnish programs have a light and heavy day every week, if I recall.

I'm looking forward to that Keith. I love the DL.

It's also because the stronglifts 5x5 is based off SS novice program. Rip has deadlifts for only 1x5's because he also prescribes squatting 3 times a week, which is an exercise that hits similar muscles as the deadlift.

keith

Reminds me of the BP Workman Deadlift routine mentioned in The RKC book. Basically he dl's 3 times a week using 26-32% of his max and threw in one heavy session per month.

Like bluethree said, the idea behind deadlifting for 1 top set is because you are squatting 3 times a week and on that program, the squat is the most important exercise. Doing 5 sets across on deadlifts would more than likely tax people too much and the squats suffer on that program.

In my own routine I do 5x5 sets across on everything, including deadlifts, but with much lower frequency on back squats, and deadlifts are still the exercise that takes the most out of me.

Singles. Lots of singles.

Do some of them with straps to keep your upper back balanced.

Or learn to hook grip like diesel JPC.

Back