deadlift 1x5 or 5x5?

I'm on injured reserve (gay) but my lifting partner has been making great gains on both squats and DLs by using 6x3 (6 triples) for his working sets.

Heavy deadlifts are good, but sub-maximal deadlifts in volume also work well too. The Finns have produced the greatest deadlifters in the world and the foundation of their program was the Finnish Deadlift Routine (Actually there is a FDL 1 and FDL 2) Most of the program is sub-maximal volume and you really only pile on the maximal weight in the later stages. I used it several times and it was as good as anything I have ever done for the deadlift. I remember looking at the percentages-some of them were like Bent Leg Deadlift 4x10 with 29% of max and I am thinking "there is no way I can make gains on that--I will lose strength" I made incredible strength gains and the muscles on my upper back became my predominant developmental feature after 3 months. I am currently writing an article entitled "The Case for High Repetition Deadlifts" and hope to have it done very soon ( I know, I have promised this earlier, have been busy) but I have seen high reps work--its quite different from high rep squats where you just about kill yourself to get the reps in--much, much different--anyway, I will have the article done my May 31st ( my 44th birthday and though I plan on submitting it for publication, it will makes it's debut here on S-Dog)

keith

*marks calendar*

Singles. Lots of singles.

Do some of them with straps to keep your upper back balanced.

Or learn to hook grip like diesel JPC.

How does this work though?

Imagine you DL 525, you warm up with lets say 225, do you jump to 400, then 500 for singles?

Im confused

also, how does singles work? you do one rep per set? lik 5x1

It's quite hard to call it a set if it is a single rep.

so when you do singles, you use a weight close to your one rep max, and do one, rest, another one, rest, and repeat?

I'm on injured reserve (gay) but my lifting partner has been making great gains on both squats and DLs by using 6x3 (6 triples) for his working sets.

I did 2*5 & 4*3 in my deadlift wkout yesterday. feelin quite good 2day, mite stick to the super low reps for a while and see how it goes.

How long rest periods is he having when doing his 6*3?

thanks

so when you do singles, you use a weight close to your one rep max, and do one, rest, another one, rest, and repeat?

The Doug Hepburn method suggests that you choose a weight that you can easily get 3 reps with (I would suggest around 85%) and perform 5X1 (5 sets of 1 rep) with 2-3 minutes rest in between sets. I would personally take the full 3 minutes.

Each session you add one set until you are doing 8X1. Once you have reached that you would increase the weight by 5-10 lbs and drop back to 5X1 and start over. I posted a link to the method in the T-Nation article thread that fatty started.

If you follow West Side at all, that protocol suggests that you perform around 5-7 reps in the 90% range during the ME session (for the main movement). So, 5-7 done as triples or singles in the 90% range.

Louie Simmons did alot of research to come up with the protocol and referred to Prilepin's table for reference.

PRILEPIN'S TABLE

Percent..............Reps per Set.......Optimal.......Total Range

70 and below ............3-6 ................24 .................18-30
70-80 .......................3-6 ................18 .................12-24
80-89 .......................2-4 ................15 .................10-20
90+ ..........................1-2 .................7 ..................4-10

The Doug Hepburn method suggests that you choose a weight that you can easily get 3 reps with (I would suggest around 85%) and perform 5X1 (5 sets of 1 rep) with 2-3 minutes rest in between sets. I would personally take the full 3 minutes.

Each session you add one set until you are doing 8X1. Once you have reached that you would increase the weight by 5-10 lbs and drop back to 5X1 and start over. I posted a link to the method in the T-Nation article thread that fatty started.

If you follow West Side at all, that protocol suggests that you perform around 5-7 reps in the 90% range during the ME session (for the main movement). So, 5-7 done as triples or singles in the 90% range.

Louie Simmons did alot of research to come up with the protocol and referred to Prilepin's table for reference.

PRILEPIN'S TABLE

Percent..............Reps per Set.......Optimal.......Total Range

70 and below ............3-6 ................24 .................18-30
70-80 .......................3-6 ................18 .................12-24
80-89 .......................2-4 ................15 .................10-20
90+ ..........................1-2 .................7 ..................4-10

Awesome, thanks guy, whats ME btw?

Singles.

On a side note, can a mod please fix the thing where it prevents people from making new threads? I've had a question for a while and can't post it. It's only this forum...

Can you do squats the same way? In singles like you would DL's?

That Hepburn program is not for the DL only, it is a method that can be applied to any lift.

I do 5X5 for deadlifts with less than maximal effort/weight. I add weight as I go through the sets and add 5lbs to the max for the next session. I don't have nearly enough weight is I would like in my home gym so until I get more I go with less weight and more reps.

For deadlifts, I have 2 different training days per 10 days. Both deadlift days are done after squatting.

One day is a light set of squats (like 8x3 or something for speed) and then pulling for max from the floor or out of the rack with bands. Here I warm up with sets of 3, and then once it gets heavy, do singles.

The second day is heavy squats with deads for speed. Deads for speed I'll use chains, warm up with sets of 3 and then pull the bar from the floor with chains. Have about 65% of your max on the bar in weights, and then make up the rest of the weight that you grow to with chains. After warming up, 8 sets of singles.

With this, I've seen *drastic* improvements in my pulling, and if feels like you're doing just enough not to completely wreck yourself for the rest of your training. Enjoy.

You all know that my T3 (Timed Total Tonnage, 5x10, 5x5, 5x3 over a two week period) is and has been my bread and butter routine for most of my lifting life (30 years this fall) but let me tell you the Hepburn programs mentioned in the link, esp. the B one are very, very good and you can not go wrong in doing them--takes some patience, but you have to think long term on these things. I would set up the rotation slightly different, but that is just a personal preference. I did not find that the Hepburn B plan worked for me on the barbell rows, which is a staple move, but the A did, probably because the BBR is more of an exercise than a lift, and therefore works better with volume than singles.

Good Stuff

keith

You all know that my T3 (Timed Total Tonnage, 5x10, 5x5, 5x3 over a two week period) is and has been my bread and butter routine for most of my lifting life (30 years this fall) but let me tell you the Hepburn programs mentioned in the link, esp. the B one are very, very good and you can not go wrong in doing them--takes some patience, but you have to think long term on these things. I would set up the rotation slightly different, but that is just a personal preference. I did not find that the Hepburn B plan worked for me on the barbell rows, which is a staple move, but the A did, probably because the BBR is more of an exercise than a lift, and therefore works better with volume than singles.

Good Stuff

keith

Have you done a write up for the T3 program?

What does the schedule look like?

Sets across with the same weight?

Thanks for the heads up on the BBR.

EDIT: Like this maybe?

Week 1
Monday: Lower
Squat 5X10

Wednesday: Upper

Friday: Lower
Squat 5X5

Week 2
Monday: Upper