De la Hoya vs Cotto

Oscar is right about one thing, this WOULD be his last fight should he take it.

Cotto would destroy Oscar

No he wouldn't. He could beat Oscar, but not destroy him. Oscar does have a good amount of speed and power also, along with boxing skills that make him far from a walk over for Cotto.

Cotto would break Oscar down and stop him in similar fashion to Hopkins with a brtual body shot, IMO. He is too young, too hungry and too good for oscar at this stage.

Oscar is nowhere near as quick as he used to be and his gas tank is running on empty after the middle rounds. He couldn't handle the sort of pressure Cotto brings at this stage, and would get stopped around the ninth or tenth.

I still can't see how know one can not believe De la hoya could give a competitive fight. He will lose, but he won't get blown out of the water.

Depends what kind of Oscar we see.. hmm.. Cotto by the time they face. Decision.

You guys are all overhyping Cotto quite a bit.
Cotto took a close decision over Mosely. Oscar and Mosely are at about the same level imo. DLH should have been awarded the decision in their second fight. Oscars defense is also extremely under-rated. It would be a close-good fight. I think Cotto is the favorite because of his youth but it would be a great bout.

Also, even at this stage in his career, I still don't see too many stopping him via ko or tko, especially at 147.

I think that Oscar is exactly the right fighter to not only beat Cotto, but knock him out. Oscar boxes Cotto's ears off for about 8 rounds then knocks him out. Cotto's got a much better chance with Margarito than Oscar. He's not slick enough to avoid Oscar and I don't think he'd be able to take a clean hook from Oscar either. Remember, with the exception of the Sturm fight, Oscar's never been dominated and he's been in with much better fighters than Cotto. (Prime Trinidad, Mosley, Quartey, Hopkins) None of those fighters was able to dominate Oscar and I don't think Cotto would be able to either. De La Hoya TKO 8-9.

I think that Oscar is exactly the right fighter to not only beat Cotto, but knock him out. Oscar boxes Cotto's ears off for about 8 rounds then knocks him out. Cotto's got a much better chance with Margarito than Oscar. He's not slick enough to avoid Oscar and I don't think he'd be able to take a clean hook from Oscar either. Remember, with the exception of the Sturm fight, Oscar's never been dominated and he's been in with much better fighters than Cotto. (Prime Trinidad, Mosley, Quartey, Hopkins) None of those fighters was able to dominate Oscar and I don't think Cotto would be able to either. De La Hoya TKO 8-9.

I've been saying same thing. DLH has problems against faster guys..but no one is as technically saavy on the inside like him.

cotto only gets better as time goes on. he'll be entering his prime shortly. prime vs prime, I think Id actually go with DLH. now, especially in a year from now, Cotto by brutal decision or late KO.

^ i don't know if we've seen the best Cotto has to give yet.

cotto is open to left hands

cotto also isn't the biggest puncher oscars faced

this isn't open and shut, but i'd take cotto by dec, after oscar fades in the late rounds.

oscar is probably gonna be the biggest strongest guy cotto has ever faced, and if this fight happens within a year, cotto destroying oscar is far from guaranteed.

i dont think oscar is gonna feel bullied by cotto, and cotto is gonna be going up against the strongest left hands he's ever faced, add that to the fact that oscar uses it as a jab and fights orthodox is gonna fuck with cotto's head.

cotto doesn't destroy oscar if this fight is made within this year.

I tought Oscar was way bigger than Cotto.
Either way, Oscar hasn't looked as sharp lately and it might not be an easy fight for him.

I pick Cotto by preassure. But I wouldn't be surprised if Oscar connects with a big L-hook and wobbles him.

Just curious, but why do some people not give De La Hoya his credit?

I see no reason at all why he wouldn't at least make a hell of a fight out of it. I don't think he'd win, but i don't think he'd get his ass kicked either. He's lost some close decisions and and got KO'd by a body shot from Hopkins (even though he never should have been in that weight class to begin with), along with beating some very good fighters.

Cotto has looked like a monster lately, but some of you guys like a De La Hoya is some over the hill slouch. He's as dangerous as anybody else Cotto has/will fight and has a left hook that can drop anybody at 154 or lower. He's a threat to anybody he fights.

DLH either lost or won undesively in his last few fights. His age and the quality of his opponents have a lot to do with it, but Cotto is a young gun whose momentum is hard to be stopped right now.

Cotto by decision or KO in the late round

Back