'DC' Willing To Fight Alexander Gustafsson If Jon Jones Stalls

DC shouldn't have said that. It will just make Jones want to stall more because he's wanted those two to fight all along, so that he won't have to fight both of them.

weak move imo by jones. fight both if you're really so good

Jones is incredibly cunning.
Truth

Like him or hate him (I have been on both sides) the guy is calculating and a smart businessman. Whatever impasse he and the UFC are at is certainly Jones using his leverage of being the champ and only one month removed from a title defense to work himself a better deal.

The UFC isn't used to not holding all the cards. Tito to some extent tried to set the tone but it really hasn't been until Jones that a champ has flexed his muscle against the UFC. At the end of the day they need each other. But you can believe Jones is going to get everything he can. He knows he no longer has to have the "just grateful to be here" attitude the UFC has leveraged against fighters for so long. He either forces them to breach or he stalls their big card till he gets what he wants. He just fought a month ago. He has plenty of time left to negotiate.

Interim title? WTF.

And no. Jones needs to fight both guys. This ain't boxing yo.

DC shouldn't have said that. It will just make Jones want to stall more because he's wanted those two to fight all along, so that he won't have to fight both of them.

This is dumb.... Who is there at lhw.

He is going to have to fight both of them anyway. The ufc makes whatever matches they want. Remember condit/diaz. Winner fought gsp then loser fought gsp. Same will happen here.

Millions of dollars at stake has a way of minimizing the need to prove how tough he is

He will end up fighting them both most likely. Definitely Gus and then DC if he wins. So with that already being the case, why should he let the UFC continue to take the Lion's share of the money? How often does the UFC show is their bottom line comes first over the fighters? Constantly. But the fighters should ignore the business side and what's best for them? This is a short-term, cut-throat business. He is doing what he has to. I can't really blame him for that. If the UFC is a 3 billion dollar company then pay the 7 time champ and lets get these fights set up. It goes both ways

Truth

Like him or hate him (I have been on both sides) the guy is calculating and a smart businessman. Whatever impasse he and the UFC are at is certainly Jones using his leverage of being the champ and only one month removed from a title defense to work himself a better deal.

The UFC isn't used to not holding all the cards. Tito to some extent tried to set the tone but it really hasn't been until Jones that a champ has flexed his muscle against the UFC. At the end of the day they need each other. But you can believe Jones is going to get everything he can. He knows he no longer has to have the "just grateful to be here" attitude the UFC has leveraged against fighters for so long. He either forces them to breach or he stalls their big card till he gets what he wants. He just fought a month ago. He has plenty of time left to negotiate.

Well said.

NO FUCK THIS SHIT

my fucking god jj is a huge pussy

everyone who denies it is just blind

Everyone who denies one of the best fighters on earth is a "pussy" is just blind? Brilliant.

jones isn't stalling. let's just get that out of the way. the delay in the rematch between jones and gus has to do with jones doing what anyone in his position would do: he's negotiating for the best deal that he can get.

should jones blindly accept the contract extension given to him by lorenzo and uncle dana because he's under some obligation to do so? what jones is doing is shopping for the best deal that he can get and he's earned that right as the champ.

for those that feel jones is stalling, you would do the exact same thing that you are criticizing and condemning jones for doing. it's not stalling when you are shopping for the best deal that you can get. what you are doing is making sure you get paid as much money as you can earn each time you step inside the octagon to fight and entertain the fans.

Jones stopped caring what the UFC thinks after they tried to pin the entirety of the 151 cancellation on him.

Eh, I'd rather see Gus-Bones II while seeing DC fight an actual UFC LHW out of whoever they can get in there with him out of Rashad, Rumble, Phil Davis, Bader? Which ever one of those they can lineup fastest with a preference for the first two to really test him cause I like Cormier's skills a lot, he's just wasted so much time in the UFC already that I want to see him get some relevant fights in.

He would be fighting a guy he may very well be fighting next anyway except in this scenario it wouldn't be for a title

And if he loses, he loses being next for a title shot

And if Gus were to lose and DC beats Jones after then the DC/Gus fight as a DC title defense would no longer be an option and it would be a bigger payday as a title defense because DC would be champ and I'm sure getting larger PPV points

This would make zero sense for DC. Which is exactly why Jones was the one first pushing it. And that's even if it could happen, which it can't because there can't be an interim belt AND a regular belt

It sounded great at first glance but it really was DC just getting overly cute in the media games and now just put pressure on himself not Jones to fight Gus. Watch, people will end up saying screw the interim belt, just fight Gus and then whip Jones like we know you will. His own fans will end up pushing what is actually the agenda of Jones

I really dont see how thats a lose for DC.

DC probably beats Gus.
Gus is no longer on DC's radar, and it cements DC as the unquestioned, solid #1 contender for the belt.

What happens if and after DC gets the belt is all gravy at that point

Eh, I'd rather see Gus-Bones II while seeing DC fight an actual UFC LHW out of whoever they can get in there with him out of Rashad, Rumble, Phil Davis, Bader? Which ever one of those they can lineup fastest with a preference for the first two to really test him cause I like Cormier's skills a lot, he's just wasted so much time in the UFC already that I want to see him get some relevant fights in.

This is true too.
Good point

why is bader given any credence on this forum?

he's a tall ripped white dude but beyond that he's got nothing

why is bader given any credence on this forum?

he's a tall ripped white dude but beyond that he's got nothing

That's why I added the ?. It's largely cause the UFC's LHW division is pretty weak right now. You've got those big 4 with Bones, Gus, DC and Glover who are beasts, yeah Glover may not have been able to do work against bones but he's still a beast. Then you've got Rumble who can be beastly, Phil Davis who you want to think could be beastly and then what? Guys way past their prime like Shogun and Wand? Old MWs fighting up like Sonnen and Hendo? There's 6 legit top 10 LHWs in the UFC and after that Bader is the guy who if you squint hard enough can look like a 7th top 10 caliber guy without you having to let yourself get completely wrapped up in nostalgia.

EDIT:Wow totally forgot Rashad. 7 legit top 10 guys with Bader looking almost liek an 8th, etc. The division just isn't very deep in that second tier of guys who are highly unlikely to win the belt but can beat any of the real contenders on a given day if they don't bring it.

And maybe Manuwa? Has he fought since Gus tooled him up? Still not sure what to make of him.

Last edited:
IMO DC would beat Gus, got better wrestling and grappling and is stronger

how would he be playing into Jones' hands?

Because one of two very strong contenders would be eliminated as an outcome of that fight. Do you not recall Jones calling for a DC-Gus title shot eliminator?

??

An interim belt is awarded to someone, normally when the two top contenders fight, because the actual belt has been vacated or stripped

Categorically incorrect. 100%, by definition, incorrect. You Sir, do not know what you are talking about.

"Negotiating his contract" muahahaha.

Ok, lets say it

Back