'DC' Willing To Fight Alexander Gustafsson If Jon Jones Stalls

Kind of odd that he's saying he will fight Gus while at the same time he's saying he is injured and requires lcl surgery and possibly acl surgery as well.

Why on earth would it detail what may or may not be in a future deal that doesn't exist yet?

When the UFC gets a guy like Jon to sign a new deal, it effectively kills the previous/existing deal and engages an agreement with the new terms. I would literally bet everything I own a new deal with each standing champion includes a new champion clause with specific terms to keep them there for X fights or days from signing the new agreement.

So your point about Jon being a champion for 8 fights was entirely moot (read: goofy and not applicable in any imaginable sense) since he would have a new agreement with new terms any time they did a new deal - which most certainly includes a champions clause.

This is conceptually the most basic thing to understand about a contract in general so I feel like I am wasting my time. You are either playing dumb or you understand whats going on but prefer to deflect.

You missed the point of my post entirely. If the ufc did include that in the last contract jones signed and they believe it enforceable, then they would be pushing for a new deal in the extension term not in the term. So the idea that jones isnt at the end of his contract doesnt make sense. As they would only push for an extension if there was a risk of losing him or losing negotiating leverage.

Which leads to 1 of 2 conclusions, either:

1. The UFC believes that the championship clause is enforceable and his current contract is in the extension term.

2. The UFC does not believe the championship clause is enforceable and he is still in his current term, and the extension term is not worth discussing until the contract hits the courts.

In either scenario, the UFC is legitimately concerned about the possibility of losing leverage in negotiations or to a much less extent the possiblity of losing their champion to another promotion.

There is no other reason for them to withhold offering jones the fight until he signs a new contract.

Last edited:
That would be a great fucking fight. I don't think Jones will stall for that long though.

this whole scenario with Jones' new contract is based on 2 things: his stiffer competition and his status. As a 7-time defending champ, he thinks he has leeway to stall in negotiations and demand more money, possibly choose his opponent, like he did with Glover.

The UFC doesn't like loss in control. They won't bulge about matchmaking, rather give more money. If Jones doesn't agree to those terms and won't defend, he'll be either stripped of the belt or an interim title fight sets up a title unification bout for big bucks. If he leaves, they have a clause that prevents that. If he wants to retire to go fight elsewhere, he'll get sued.

The best thing he can hope for is more money, but he won't get crazy numbers, maybe a 1% bump at max for PPV buys. UFC has done this before, they'll always win.

Hilarious to see people say that Jones' plan is working when DC says that if he fights Gus it would have to be for an interim title. There will of course not be an interim title while Jones is able to compete. If Jones refuses to fight, which he of course won't, the only course of action is to strip him of the title.

This is just DC saying something to make Jones look bad.

100% this.

Jones didn't duck out of anything. He is negotiating a new contract. If it wasn't time for a new contract, he would have signed the bout agreement already.

You are all missing the bigger picture.

Jones isn't afraid or ducking anyone. That's what Dana is insinuating in order to try to make Jones sign a less favorable deal than he can get by waiting and properly negotiating terms. Gus will still be fighting when these negotiations are over. The last time Dana tried using fans and media to pressure Jones was ufc 151. Jones didn't bend over then, and he is not going to bend over now.

All you guys complain about fighter pay and you want Jones to sign a new contract as soon as possible even if he doesn't like the terms. It makes no sense.

If Jones has finished the fights on his contract, he and his manager should be fielding offers from other promotions for the ufc to match.

If he hasn't, then why is the ufc trying to make a new deal before the Gus fight? What if Jones wants to finish his current contract BEFORE signing a new one? The open market would end up making Jones a lot more money just because the ufc would match any offer made to him.

Think of the position Jones is in:

1. Approaching free agency
2. P4P #1
3. Number 1 in his division
4. Has beaten 5 ufc champs
5. Arguably undefeated except for one bs technicality

Does this look familiar? Remind you of a situation from a few years back where a fighter was offered 6 million dollars a fight? Now imagine that fighter was only 26 years old. Jones has more leverage than arguably any fighter in ufc history. He won't be bullied through fans and the media into a deal that he doesn't like.

What's it you guys always say? If you don't like the contract, don't sign it.

Jones is going to take that advice. Its time to find out how much one fighter can really be worth to the ufc.

I'm all for ripping on Jones, but logic forces me to accept that this makes perfect sense.

Because Jones want them to fight each other so it eliminates one contender?

And hes hoping DC lands a haymaker so he doesnt have to go thrue a mauling again. That he doesnt want to fight Alex is pretty obvious. Who can blame him?!

What's wrong with him, why can't he fight? If Jones doesn't fight, he retires, forfeits his belt?

Here is the simple concept

DC made a meaningless gesture because it is not possible for a fight with Gus to be for an interim belt. Are you really so stupid that you think DC doesn't know there can't be an interim belt and a valid championship belt at the same time?

So the conditions he gave that he would fight Gus under means there is no way that fight could take place. He just clearly knows how stupid some fans are and they will give him props for offering to do something that can't really happen.

And physically impossible? Wtf?? Do you even know what you are saying? It isn't a physical limitation. It is a rule. An interim belt is when there isn't a valid championship belt already being held. You forgot to breath again didn't you? I can almost hear your brain cells dying from lack of oxygen. Just jam your head back in your ass and tell yourself whatever fantasy you want. But in the real world, DC can't fight Gus for an interim belt unless Jones has been stripped of his.

You should make more posts about how stupid people are. Maybe the next one can be about people who think the Earth is round?

He is saying if Jones does some crazy thing like randy. He isnt saying now . When gsp was out with injury his belt was still legit, It has happened many times. Only Cruz got stripped bc he was out for like 10 years

??

An interim belt is awarded to someone, normally when the two top contenders fight, because the actual belt has been vacated or stripped

DC said he would fight Gus if Jones continues to stall but it should be for an interim belt. He can't fight Gus in a fight to determine an interim champ if there is still a recognized current champ

Therefore his offer to fight Gus for an interim belt was meaningless as that isn't a possibility so long as Jones still has the title. And if somehow he was stripped of his belt or vacated it (something I don't ever see happening) DC would be fighting Gus anyway in a fight for an interim championship belt.

So either way, his offer means nothing. He either can't have the fight under the conditions he listed or if conditions changed would have to fight Gus whether he wanted to or not. Although obviously he would. But that is why the offer the fight Gus now for an interim belt is meaningless

No that is silly, if the belt was stripped then they would fight for a normal belt, there would be no interim belt. The poster before you was right. Interim belts are for the exact reason DC was talking about, injury or stalling/legal issues

gus will tko dc within 2 rnds.

Jones is meant to sign a new contract with the UFC (the meeting of his manager and Lorenzo & Dana is chronicled in last weeks vlogs)

As the story goes, something has stalled out and Jones has not signed his new deal.

Cormier is saying - hypothetically,
for whatever reason - if Jones
decides not to re-sign he would fight Gus, expecting it be an interim title. Seeing as how this would only be drawn up in the case that Jones refuses to sign a contract that would be reasonable.

If jones refuses, the title is vacated. No interim belt

An interim belt is awarded to someone, normally when the two top contenders fight, because the actual belt has been vacated or stripped

if the belt is stripped or vacated they don't need to create an interim one.

If jones refuses, the title is vacated. No interim belt

I find it wildly, wildly unlikely they strip him of the belt over protracted contract negotiations. It would have to go on for months & months to get to that point, and who knows how many fights he has left on his current contract.

cormier would beat eyepoke man jones and gus, the beater of innocent people in streets, in one round

Back