'DC' Willing To Fight Alexander Gustafsson If Jon Jones Stalls

Exactly what Jon wants but not UFC since they miss on a big money rematch.

No he isn't

It was said with the qualifier that it should be for an interim title. That could only happen if Jones was stripped of his belt.

Huh? That makes no sense. If the champion is stripped there is no interim belt. The entire point of an interim belt to be enacted is ... wait for it ... the interim. As in, while the standing champion is unable to defend the belt.

DC might as well have said "I will fight Gus if Jones won't just so long as the winner becomes president of the United States."

Adding a qualifier that is never gonna happen doesn't mean much. And if somehow, someway it did happen it wouldn't matter what DC said, him and Gus would be set up to fight for an interim title anyway. But does anybody think Jones, the same guy who didn't fight Chael the first time because even if the event can't go forward he isn't giving anyone even a slightly better shot at his belt if he doesn't have to, is just gonna forfeit the money and the belt?

Jones is working himself a better deal. DC is trying to speed things up by putting pressure on Jon and hoping nobody really considers that in actuality he didn't really offer to do anything

I just realized, perhaps you don't know what an interim belt is, and how/why/when it is used in the UFC.

Yes, that's fair.

Still works out for Jones, he has been keen to not to face both of them, this is a great way to get out of that.

He would still have to fight whichever is better.

Imagine DC annihilates Gus, Jones would be crapping his Nike shorts.

I doubt it, Jones seems to think he is the best in the world. I do think DC would wreck Gus though.

Gus was already promised his rematch. Wait in line DC.

You keep literally holding onto the term interim. You're really fucking dense.

If he beat Gus he would be guaranteed a title shot and could wait until Jones accepted it or got stripped of his belt.
I'm holding onto the term because that is the condition in which he said he would fight Gus now under

Kind of makes it important.

If he says he will fight Gus without it being for a title belt that can't exist when there is still a legitimate champion, then it would be totally different. But he didn't say that.

He basically is putting the idea out there that Jones should be stripped for stalling. Except that also can't happen unless he is in breach of contract. Again, a meaningless offer only meant to put pressure on Jones because he knows the fight against Gus can't take place under the conditions he said he would do it under

Yet not only you are giving him props for a meaningless gesture, you think pointing it out is some Jones nuthugger excuse. No its just the facts. I want to see Jones fight Gus. I'm sure that will be what happens. I have no vested interest either way if Jones gets what he is negotiating for. I'm just not gonna swing on DCs nuts for a P.R. stunt. Or at minimum, I'm not going to credit him for offering to take a fight he knows can't happen under the conditions he said he would take it under

Last edited:
That wont stop Jones from having title defenses. He still has to fight someone.

This. Who wants Jones to keep padding up his defense record with Chaels coming off losses or Vitors who have zero fucking business fighting for any title, while legit contenders in his division get sidelined continually.

We (the fans) don't need any more bullshit title fights that should never have been sanctioned.

Jones vs. Gus. Hope Gus beats him into a living death and throws the currently shallow division wide open, but that won't happen since Jones will probably get an instant rematch due to the 'long reigning champion gets free title defenses no matter how bad they lost' shit.

I doubt it, Jones seems to think he is the best in the world. I do think DC would wreck Gus though.

I honestly think he thought that until the Gus fight. Now, I am not so sure. But yeah, I agree, DC takes Gus out. And honestly, I rarely do this, but I think DC takes the belt as well.

Edit: And by rarely, I mean really think that such an established great fighter is going to lose.

I honestly think he thought that until the Gus fight. Now, I am not so sure. But yeah, I agree, DC takes Gus out. And honestly, I rarely do this, but I think DC takes the belt as well.

"no way bro cuz cuz cuz"

its coming.

This. Who wants Jones to keep padding up his defense record with Chaels coming off losses or Vitors who have zero fucking business fighting for any title, while legit contenders in his division get sidelined continually.

We (the fans) don't need any more bullshit title fights that should never have been sanctioned.

Jones vs. Gus. Hope Gus beats him into a living death and throws the division wide open, but that won't happen since Jones will probably get an instant rematch due to the 'long reigning champion gets free title defenses no matter how bad they lost' shit.

Vitor has plenty of business fighting for titles. He wrecked Hendo just like DC did, and has a plethora of wins at middleweight.

I like new contenders more than reamtches though. Id like to see Gus fight Jones again after DC does. Gus can most likely handle a top 10 guy while DC fights jones.

If Jones doesnt sign a contract soon, DCs suggestion of fighting GUS would make plently of sense for an interim title.

Huh? That makes no sense. If the champion is stripped there is no interim belt. The entire point of an interim belt to be enacted is ... wait for it ... the interim. As in, while the standing champion is unable to defend the belt.

I just realized, perhaps you don't know what an interim belt is, and how/why/when it is used in the UFC.
??

An interim belt is awarded to someone, normally when the two top contenders fight, because the actual belt has been vacated or stripped

DC said he would fight Gus if Jones continues to stall but it should be for an interim belt. He can't fight Gus in a fight to determine an interim champ if there is still a recognized current champ

Therefore his offer to fight Gus for an interim belt was meaningless as that isn't a possibility so long as Jones still has the title. And if somehow he was stripped of his belt or vacated it (something I don't ever see happening) DC would be fighting Gus anyway in a fight for an interim championship belt.

So either way, his offer means nothing. He either can't have the fight under the conditions he listed or if conditions changed would have to fight Gus whether he wanted to or not. Although obviously he would. But that is why the offer the fight Gus now for an interim belt is meaningless

Dc is talking total non sense... lol Jones has every right to negotiate his contract and seek the highest possible pay. He's been one of the most active champs in recent times and is 1 month removed from a fight. Calm down, and relax

Edit: And by rarely, I mean really think that such an established great fighter is going to lose.

I disagree about jones thinking he will lose, but either side is pretty speculative. I think DC can take Jones too.

This better not happen.

1. Gus vs. Jones

Then

2. DC vs. Champion

Any other way ruins the epic rematch that everybody wants to see.

Dc is talking total non sense... lol Jones has every right to negotiate his contract and seek the highest possible pay. He's been one of the most active champs in recent times and is 1 month removed from a fight. Calm down, and relax
Thank you!

Another person who gets it

They aren't gonna strip Jones for "stalling" when he just had a title defense a month ago. Depending on the contract its probably 11 months before that could be a possibility. DC knows there is no way he could fight Gus for an interim belt anytime soon

NO FUCK THIS SHIT

my fucking god jj is a huge pussy

everyone who denies it is just blind

That has nothing to do with this - Eddie Alvarez had his UFC contract made public because of his lawsuit with Bellator. This is where many people on here started in with the '3 fight' championship clause, almost as though they didn't bother reading the rest of the details. You probably parroted that without reading any of it because you don't even know the source apparently.

Do you honestly believe that Jon Jones is still bound by his championship clause when he won the belt 7 fights ago? Im pretty sure that he has satisfied this part of his contract, so this whole line of argument is moot.

That is not what I said - my point is that you suggest he's a free agent if he doesn't sign, but you have no idea if he has any fights left on his current term. He may be required to fight Gus (or any other suitor) as part of his existing contract. The UFC generally sign new contracts while there are still at least one fight left on them so they don't get out leveraged.

If Jones doesn't sign a new contract he is bound to his current one. So is the ufc. If they don't offer him a fight within a certain amount of time then his obligation to them is considered fulfilled as they are in breach.

So if Jones doesn't like the new offer, he doesn't sign it. The ufc then has 2 options: honor their end of the contract or breech the contract. Either way, it puts Jones closer to free agency if he is not receiving an offer he considers acceptable.

Nobody said that and you are answering an argument that doesn't exist.

Fair enough. I didn't understand the point you were trying to make.

Why on earth are you operating under the belief that his last contract was signed 8 fights ago? Or that he hasn't signed a new one since, or an extension? Why do you purport to know anything at all about his current terms?

Look, unless the ufc loves fucking themselves out of money it is VERY safe to infer that Jones is close to the end of his deal. Why would the promotion try to push Jones to a new contract while he is on a winning streak? It just means they would have to pay him more money.

Thanks for playing

Likewise.

Back