• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC: "There's no way Zhang should be above Shevchenko"

Valentina is number 1 p4p, look at the size difference with Nunes and she still gave her a close fight that many people thought she won, Weili hasn't proven herself yet, I thought Joanna beat her, and would have definitely smashed in her prime, I would put her below Joanna as well

DC absolutely on point with his comment. Valentina >>>> Zhang

BUT the UFC is trying to get some of that China money, so they have to promote their meal ticket to the market.

<31>

Nunes
Shevchenko
Wheili

I would have shevchenko #1, but Nunes beat Ronda and cyborg. The 2 best females in wmma history, so that's a huge Trump card.

And I believe shevchenko beat Nunes in their fights.
There is zero argument for schevchenko winning the first fight

It was 3 rounds and Amanda easily won the first 2, and got a 10-8 from 2 of the judges for the 2nd round. Theres no way you can score the first fight for schevchenko

You can argue what would of happened if it was a 5 rounder, but Amanda clearly won

In terms of P4P, I don't just go off of wins but how you perform. Even in losing to Nunes at UFC 215, Valentina's stock did not go down IMO. I do think Nunes clearly/easily won the 1st fight, but I truly believe Valentina won the rematch (scored rd 2-4 for Valentina, 1 & 5 for Nunes). Valentina is truly at about the same level as Nunes, whereas I think Zhang is great but still needs more fights for me to proclaim her as being on the same level as Nunes & Valentina.

Beating Jessica Eye, Katlyn Chookagian and Priscila Cachoeira shouldn't really get you a higher ranking
No, but beating Joana (who Val beat as well - via unanimous decision, mind you - not a split one) as the only title defence should. Right?

I had Shev winning 2nd fight. And pound for pound, clearly higher than Nunes

Nunes
Shevchenko
Wheili

I would have shevchenko #1, but Nunes beat Ronda and cyborg. The 2 best females in wmma history, so that's a huge Trump card.

And I believe shevchenko beat Nunes in their fights.

Valentina fights are boring. Thus I put somewhere between 2 and 10.

There is zero argument for schevchenko winning the first fight

It was 3 rounds and Amanda easily won the first 2, and got a 10-8 from 2 of the judges for the 2nd round. Theres no way you can score the first fight for schevchenko

You can argue what would of happened if it was a 5 rounder, but Amanda clearly won

Haven't seen that fight in a while, so you're probably right. Was just remembering it being very close. But the 2nd fight, I clearly scored it for shevchenko.

I had Shev winning 2nd fight. And pound for pound, clearly higher than Nunes

Yeah, on a p4p basis, I think she's also the better fighter, but just hasn't had the same opportunity to fight the opponents Nunes has, so gotta put Nunes higher by default.

Haven't seen that fight in a while, so you're probably right. Was just remembering it being very close. But the 2nd fight, I clearly scored it for shevchenko.

The first fight wasn't close, the argument was what would of happened in a 5 rounder. Nunes was definitely fading hard in the 3rd round, but the fight was easy to score

Even if you want to completely discard Valentina's best wins, they have a common opponent (Joanna).

Weili struggled and got a very close win.
Valentina handled her with complete ease.

No, MMA math isn't perfect, but it's also not nothing, especially when the "winner" of said math has a much more extensive record of recent success and also looks *at least* as good to the eye test (if not better...I think she looks better).
Beating someone at their natural weight class is more impressive than beating someone in a weight class above

The first fight wasn't close, the argument was what would of happened in a 5 rounder. Nunes was definitely fading hard in the 3rd round, but the fight was easy to score

Yeah, that's probably why I recall it being close.

It's because of Chinese market. On fights alone it's not close. A fighter's rank shouldn't drop because it's good for business, but that's how they operate.

Sorry Cormier, but strength of competition will always matter to me. Keep towing that company line, though.
1. The phrase is "toe the line"

2. Cormier is the one disagreeing with the rankings.

3. How would strength of competition be an argument for Weili over Valenitina? Valentina beat Joanna, Holly, Pena, fought the wmma goat twice with the last one being a split decision. Weili has a split decision over Joanna and beat Andrade who has 7 losses, with the rest of her record being cans.

Back