Law DC Statehood: Manchin comes out against, says constitutional amendment needed

Should Washington D.C. receive statehood status?

• Total voters
The door is already open for Puerto Rico to become a state. There are two tests before it would go to Congress however. One is a population test (which they check easily on) and the other is a test that the populace of the territory want to become a state. In 2017, PR showed that pretty overwhelmingly with a vote on it despite past polls being more divided. So I'd say they have a possibility of being put to a vote in Congress at this point. I don't know all the technicalities however.

The difference between DC and Puerto Rico is that Puerto Rico could also vote on becoming an independent country

Isn't Washington DC a capital district? Too small to constitute a state ain't it?

The door is already open for Puerto Rico to become a state. There are two tests before it would go to Congress however. One is a population test (which they check easily on) and the other is a test that the populace of the territory want to become a state. In 2017, PR showed that pretty overwhelmingly with a vote on it despite past polls being more divided. So I'd say they have a possibility of being put to a vote in Congress at this point. I don't know all the technicalities however.

last thing we need is a welfare state

It's all nonsense that would require a constitutional amendment. The constitution spells out that the land set aside for the capital is no state.

Also, the liberals always have such stupid, power-mad ideas. It's scary for those who value freedom and the constitution. Right after they're done with this one, OK can become 20 smaller states, each with two senators.
<Fedor23>

last thing we need is a welfare state

There's a lot more issues I see with PR moving over than DC if I had to compare. They are somewhat fucked with their debt situation because of their status but the status itself may have also helped them get to this stage as well. It's messy.

There's a lot more issues I see with PR moving over than DC if I had to compare. They are somewhat fucked with their debt situation because of their status but the status itself may have also helped them get to this stage as well. It's messy.

dc becoming a state is nothing really more than a political move to reassign senate seats like previously mentioned - no real economic or geopolitical impact

pr is an absolute disaster - it would be like adding fuel(and lots of it ) onto the burning us economy

It's 61 square miles of land. Rhode island by comparison dwarfs it at 1,045 miles. Why not just let it be absorbed into Virginia or Maryland? This is a power grab for more seats in the senate.

dc becoming a state is nothing really more than a political move to reassign senate seats like previously mentioned - no real economic or geopolitical impact

pr is an absolute disaster - it would be like adding fuel(and lots of it ) onto the burning us economy

I mean, I don't question the underlying priority/ motivation here does benefit dems and that's why we are seeing a clear line between agreement and opposing it. It is possible though to pull away that piece and reflect if this really makes sense or not to go forward with, thus the thread.

I mean, I don't question the underlying priority/ motivation here does benefit dems and that's why we are seeing a clear line between agreement and opposing it. It is possible though to pull away that piece and reflect if this really makes sense or not to go forward with, thus the thread.

tbh I don’t see this as anything more as an attempt to steal the senate

if we really want to discuss this the timing would be after the elections when there’s no large political
ramifications

tbh I don’t see this as anything more as an attempt to steal the senate

if we really want to discuss this the timing would be after the elections when there’s no large political
ramifications

It will always have large political ramifications. Our senate has been a margin of just a few seats each election so adding two solid blue ones definitely changes the political landscape. House wouldn’t be that big a deal.

Blatant power grab. This election is gonna be very important eh

It will always have large political ramifications. Our senate has been a margin of just a few seats each election so adding two solid blue ones definitely changes the political landscape. House wouldn’t be that big a deal.

Republicans surely will oppose it and shut it down in the senate

If anything it passing the house shows the current shameless state of politics

I'm wondering if Pelosi is able to pause sending it to the Senate after the elections are over. Because that would definitely put more weight on 2020. I don't know if there's a solid consensus among Senate Democrats for this however. It only takes 1-3 stragglers for it to not work and this would be after ignoring the filibuster rule.

It's 61 square miles of land. Rhode island by comparison dwarfs it at 1,045 miles. Why not just let it be absorbed into Virginia or Maryland? This is a power grab for more seats in the senate.

41oD5V9i+ML._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From the article:

I'd have to look at Alaska but maybe the president isn't actually formally involved and that "support of the president" doesn't actually matter. I don't see anything specific on vote counts so I'd assume it's the normal rules unless majority leader overrides the filibuster.

I forget the exact process, but I think it's mainly a congressional issue.

Yep, it's another naked power grab by zealous Democrats. I'm sure everyone recalls all the talk of adding more Supreme Court seats when Republicans established a clear majority. If Democrats can't win back the Senate legitimately they'll find other ways to give themselves more power.

If we really want to make DC a state, we'll need to add Baltimore to it and a good chunk of northern Virginia.

Back