DC needs to do what Lawler did

Swallow that pride, rewatch the fight, get your ass back in the gym, improve that cardio and beat up contenders. I believe he can beat Jones. There are just small adjustments that need to be made.

Look at chad mendes. Who thought he could go to war with Aldo a few years later?

I dont think this is over. Both Cain and Rockhold lost in brutal fashion and came back better than ever. I suspect we will see the same thing from DC. I say give him the winner of Davis/Bader or the loser of Gus/Johnson.

Jones is the winner for now

Mendes came back because while he lost, he didn't get an opportunity to show what he could do. Cormier was defeated over 5 rounds at virtually every facet of MMA [Including his bread and butter]. Jones didn't need a plan B.

This is MMA and you can never say never. I hope DC bounces back but I never see him beating Jon.

guy needs to lay off the popeyes. if he wants that belt as bad as he says he does, bloody well cut back on the shit food and fuel your body properly. you can;'t be taken seriously when you can't stay in reasonable shape out of competition.

Silly post is silly. Have you not see the pot-bellied Jones when he isn't in training camp?

To be fair, Lawler's win was not that impressive, even without Rogan's commentary.

guy needs to lay off the popeyes. if he wants that belt as bad as he says he does, bloody well cut back on the shit food and fuel your body properly. you can;'t be taken seriously when you can't stay in reasonable shape out of competition.

He won't beat Bones if he lays off the popeyes, but he might just beat Weidman.

Swallow that pride, rewatch the fight, get your ass back in the gym, improve that cardio and beat up contenders. I believe he can beat Jones. There are just small adjustments that need to be made.

Look at chad mendes. Who thought he could go to war with Aldo a few years later?

I dont think this is over. Both Cain and Rockhold lost in brutal fashion and came back better than ever. I suspect we will see the same thing from DC. I say give him the winner of Davis/Bader or the loser of Gus/Johnson.

Jones is the winner for now

images

after watching the 1st fight I don't think DC could ever beat Jones. Cormier advantage was suppose to be his wrestling and it didn't seem to help him at all. Trying to walk down Jones just wouldn't work if you don't take him down and DC will never have the cardio that Cain has.

after watching the 1st fight I don't think DC could ever beat Jones. Cormier advantage was suppose to be his wrestling and it didn't seem to help him at all. Trying to walk down Jones just wouldn't work if you don't take him down and DC will never have the cardio that Cain has.

DC proved that you can in fact beat Jones without taking him down. In second and third round. And dc didnt even feint his takedowns. He relied on superhuman strength, which Jones was ready for. DC however did not expect Jones to be that strong.

Last edited:

I think its simplistic to say the only advantage of Cormiers wrestling was potentially taking Jones down. My feeling was always that a key issue in this fight was the way in which the wrestling would effect the standup.

Jones game has always been to use the threat of the takedown to stop guys pushing forward aggressively on him or move into the clinch if they do and get them defensive looking to avoid The big advantage Cormiers wrestling gave him in this fight is that he didn't fear being caught off balance nearly as much and when the fight hit the clinch it was Jones who was more on the defencive leaving opening for DC to land quite a few strikes.

Honestly I think the key thing that helped Jones to win this fight was that he showed a superior counterstriking game to that which we'd seen previously(hard to say whether it developed greatly or he simply didn't need it). He still showed the same weaknesses in terms of his boxing defence but Cormier had to walk though more punishment than I think he was expecting to.

I would say Cormiers best chance in a rematch is simply having that experience of Jones game. Whilst effective I do think those counters were somewhat limited and predictable, you could see by the second round Cormier was working past them much more effectively. Perhaps if that happens right from the start of the fight the cardio situation would be different or at least Cormier could potentially buildup a lead on the scorecards and then look to hang on late. There is of course also the chance one of those punches land slightly better and really hurt Jones, nobody is invulnerable to being KOed and Jones has been depending on his chin a lot recently.

The fight with Jones went exactly as I predicted but Cormier had his chances, especially with Jones pinned against the wall, to land some big overhand rights and he didn't even try. Maybe he was tired, but trying to wrestlehump a champion in the 5th round WHEN YOU ARE LOSING is simply poor.

I agree with the OP. Hit the gym, make the corrections.

I dont see why not. Him crying is only temporary. Hes not retiring, so what else do you think hes gonna do?

Hes just gotta win big time and speak up. Someone will get injured and there ya go, title shot.

The problem is Jones =/= Hendricks

you're talking about a very good fighter compared to the future goat and undoubtedly the greatest LHW ever.

With some adjustments made, its not unbelievable to think Cormier could take a rematch.

Had that been a 3 round fight, we would have been looking at a highly contested decision. DC seemed to fade, and kind of lose focus in the championship rounds. Jon fought 5 round fights 9 times in a row, while this is DC's second ever. He'll be back, I'm almost positive.

With some adjustments made, its not unbelievable to think Cormier could take a rematch.

Had that been a 3 round fight, we would have been looking at a highly contested decision. DC seemed to fade, and kind of lose focus in the championship rounds. Jon fought 5 round fights 9 times in a row, while this is DC's second ever. He'll be back, I'm almost positive.

Yup his body simply failed him

DC doesn't have boxing like Lawler or Mendes. Cain showed great improvement with his boxing after the JDS fight. Hopefully DC follows suit but everyone was expecting that his wrestling was going to be the factor in this game.

Actually I was impressed that Lawler mitigated Hendrick's power. Lawler used his arm and elbow to block most of Hendrick's looping power punches. It was subtle and Hednricks never adjusted.

Mendes on the other hand had the threat of takedowns to cancel out Aldo's kicking game forcing him to stand and trade. Aldo threw a few kicks in that fight. When Aldo threw that one kick that Mendes caught on the body and then took Aldo down which forced a frantic sprawling session, it stopped Aldo from kicking for awhile. Mendes was doing all right and took the fight to Aldo but let's not forget that he was getting tagged consistently when Aldo was slipping and countering.

Back