DC: Jones is unbeatable at LHW

I could see Stipe going for a dog fight à la Gus/Jones 1, and since he's bigger and lands harder than Gus, that could be a way to lose for Jones.

I would have loved to see Jones vs Struve (before he took too much head trauma), just curious about how he would have handled that.
I know that freakshows are frowned upon nowadays but one thing I miss bout the old days is having the top fighters having some fun fights once in a while.

We know how Fedor would look beating bigger guy, thanks to the Semmy Schilt, Bigfoot or Tim Sylvia fights, we have the footage.

I'd pay good money to watch a roided Jones against fullt-TRT Bigfoot, it would make no sense rankings wise but that would be cool to watch.
Yeah, but Gus has faster hands and he is much more mobile. And has better boxing. Stipe will maybe hit harder, but he is slow as molasses compared to Jon.

It's interesting fight that vs Struve, until you remember how utterly shit takedown defense Struve had. And he isn't using his reach well at all. The guys is leading with rear uppercuts and knees. LOL My feeling is Jon is gonna just trash him.

I agree about the freakshows it would be nice, but nowadays it's just not possible because of all the "money fights" their top fighters are getting into.

Richard, I don't know if you are considering this a freakshow fight, but Pettis going from 155 to fight welterweight and, in addition, a high class opponent in Wonderboy, to me was kinda freakshow fight. If Pettis and Thompson were comming from a win, it would feel even more like a freakshow fight. But because they were in a bad spot in their careers, people didn't care too much.

There hopefully comes a point in time where we can discuss potential Jones match-ups without screaming at each other...
You can be curious about how Jones would do at HW without being a hater who wants to see him lose.

That has nothing to do with GSP lol, I hadn't even mentionned him because I didn't want to trigger you (originally I had him going up in weight to claim the title at MW in my examples, but removed it before posting). That worked well... <CerseiPlotting>

Seriously, for what it's worth, hadn't Jones got caught roiding several times, I would have him ranked as the UFC GOAT (I have GSP by default for now). I just happen to think it would be fun to watch him fight at HW at least once.
Not against the champ or a top 5 guy, but still a legit fighter with a HW frame and all. Too bad there aren't as many HW kickboxers as there used to be in the K1/Glory days.

You can be curious, but why not be curious about other fighters moving up also? And does your curiousity come from honestly wanting to see how Jones does, or really just because he has a greater chance of losing? If you rank GSP as number 1, why weren't you curious about him moving up to fight Silva, when they were both in their prime, to see how he does?

But I do agree with you about kickboxers at HW, I miss the days of Kongo, Barry, ( the HW kickboxer who died shortly after his UFC run, I forgot his name).

Also I do agree with you that we should be able to discuss things without getting as worked as most people do. I just like to give credit where credit is due. Jones is an amazing fighter, as was GSP before him, and Silva and Fedor. and I'm just happy to be alive in an era where we get to watch these guys fight.

That guy could show up 5 years early. Don't count Reyes out, he could make big trouble for Jones if he fights smart. Jones hasn't dealt with his combination of size, speed, and power. In this fight I think we can say Jones is moving up to cruiserweright, relative to his past opponents. If he handles Reyes with ease, then he has clear sailing in heavyweight and should move up immediately
If he beats Jones, once could be a fluke.

If Jones demolishes his next opponent, then kills Reyes in a rematch, it was a fluke.

If Jones loses and can beats everyone but Reyes, he has been topped in his own time.

If Jones destroys him first time, he is still the best in his time.

Did Conor kill Cerrone or is Cerrone at the end of his time?

Based on past performances Donald is at the end of his time.

That is not to say Conor could not destroy the best Cerrone has ever been, but rather to say it is the end of Cerrone's time so not much was learned, as to who was the more skilled fighter. One was pretty much worn out.

This is why I focus on styles in fights and not fighters. Fighters may be injured, getting past their "best if used by" date and even luck can be involved.

JMHO

If he beats Jones, once could be a fluke.

JMHO
I'm down with that. I'd probably favor Jones in the rematch. He's stopped evolving, if he gets beat, he will have to start again. These younger guys will start zeroing in on him as he moves out of his prime

Juiced Jones maybe. Cormier never faced clean Jones.

Fair enough, considering Jones admits DC would win at HW.

“Right now...it would just make no sense to fight a guy who, I think, technically (is) on your level and to give him a size advantage. I’m not doing it.”​
umm negative

“ I think he would be a tougher fight at heavyweight, but I still believe I would win. I believe I have his number. I know how to beat him.”

giphy.gif
People grasp on to this like the time Lyoto puched Jones

Thiago-Santos-2-2-696x399.png

santos is out, for a year.
Jones is fighting in a couple weeks

Agreed that DC never fought clean Boner. Even the first fight, the NSAC found "highly unusual" results about his piss test. They said they were "going to keep an eye on it", though nothing became of it.

Looking back, that quote is taken out of context, or at least TS' insinuations of it are taking it out of context.

He's saying he would beat Boner at HW and he's probably right about him vs. the current crop of LHW's.

He really needs to go to HW.

This whole thing of lining up MW's for him to fight is dumb af.

Richard, I don't know if you are considering this a freakshow fight, but Pettis going from 155 to fight welterweight and, in addition, a high class opponent in Wonderboy, to me was kinda freakshow fight. If Pettis and Thompson were comming from a win, it would feel even more like a freakshow fight. But because they were in a bad spot in their careers, people didn't care too much.

Oooohhh I loved Wonderboy vs Showtime, great match-up, awesome fight. And Thompson didn't even appear salty afterward, asking Pettis what the hell he hit him with, good vibes all around.
I do consider it a freakshow, so it's not always a word with negative connotations for me... last year in kickboxing, Jérôme Lebanner vs Datsik was a total freakshow but I was extatic watching that bout (I'm a big Geronimo fanboy though).

Pawel Nastula vs Andrej Wronski was a freakshow (Nasty had way more experience than Wronski who was 0-0 in MMA) but since it was the third olympic gold medalist vs gold medalist in MMA ()Judo vs Greco-Roman), after Yoshida vs Gardner & Yoshida vs Ishii; it's hard not to be interested in this one when wrestling is your first love.

Hell, even Floyd/McGregor in boxing was a total freakshow, and I was cheering and screaming with the rest of the pub when it took place.
So, if Khabib wants to box Pacman, please go ahead!

About Struve, yeah, of course my money would be on Jones, but it would still be a good introduction at HW for JJ ^^
Well, now that SS has taken so much punishment to the head, I'm not sure I want to see him compete again
(first time I saw him live was against Denis Stojnic; Denis mauled Struve for a full round before getting triangled in the second, and the crowd was on its feet even though it was only the second fight of the card <{JustBleed}>
I remember that we were all saying that hopefully this fight, as awesome as it was, wouldn't be representative of his whole career, or he could become punch drunk in no time... talk about jinxing the poor guy)

I kinda miss freakshows, but I have also accepted that the sport has been trying to move away from these (even if the UFC still has some disguised as legit fights) to make the sport appear more "pro"... I was super into MMA/kick-boxing/grappling during 2000 to 2012, went to dozens of events, had the luck to meet a lot of my idols and train with some of them, and nowadays I've basically become a casual again.
(I still train, but just to stay in shape and to help out n00b friends who are just getting started now thanks to the McGregor wave)

Most UFC cards, I'd be very lucky if more than 2 fights in a card have my attention... it used to be the reverse, every fight on a card had me pumped except for a couple. So i manage my expectations, and I understand that fighters now have a LOT more to lose than when the fans were more forgiving, and a loss didn't mean that much if you put on an exciting fight.

So... yeah, I understand why freakshows aren't as prevalent as before, even if I don't like it. But I still have that idea, that if the UFC wanted to make some big bucks with Mighty Mouse, and get the casuals to like him, they should have had him fight a bunch of low-level muscle-bounds /MWsLHWs.
"Holy shit that midget in the UFC is going full Super Hluk on big steroid bullies" <{danawhoah}>

You can be curious, but why not be curious about other fighters moving up also? And does your curiousity come from honestly wanting to see how Jones does, or really just because he has a greater chance of losing? If you rank GSP as number 1, why weren't you curious about him moving up to fight Silva, when they were both in their prime, to see how he does?
But I do agree with you about kickboxers at HW, I miss the days of Kongo, Barry, ( the HW kickboxer who died shortly after his UFC run, I forgot his name).

Also I do agree with you that we should be able to discuss things without getting as worked as most people do. I just like to give credit where credit is due. Jones is an amazing fighter, as was GSP before him, and Silva and Fedor. and I'm just happy to be alive in an era where we get to watch these guys fight.

Hey, I'm curious about pleeeenty of things :D and I do give credit to Jones, it took me a while but after the first Daniel Cormier bout, steroids/eye-pokes or not, it was now clear that Jones not only had great stand up & groud game, but also has elite wrestling.
I was 100% sure that Cormier was the guy who was going to ragdoll Jones, and he got beat twice.

He's obviously one of the GOATs, and I would be super excited if he got a HW fight against someone like, let's say Ben Rothwell or Matt Mitrione.
I would have chosen a kick-boxer first, but as we've established, not many pure KBs in the UFC right now (and sadly with the steep decline in popularity of that sport, maybe ever).

About GSP/Silva, I would have been happy to watch it, and GSP was cool with the fight, but after the UFC 112 debacle, Dana starting his smear campaign against Silva, saying that he doesn't deserve to stand in the same ring as a true, proud champion like St-Pierre... I kinda stopped paying attention to that bullshit after that...
One day, while salty about the Maia situation, Dana is saying Silva is ducking GSP, the next, while salty about Georges retiring, it's now GSP who is ducking Silva.
You can't take anything Dana says seriously when he's discussing stuff like that.

Imma stop rambling for now, long days and pleasant nights to you gentlemen, and let's hope for some cool fights for 2020.

Last edited:
Fair enough, considering Jones admits DC would win at HW.

“Right now...it would just make no sense to fight a guy who, I think, technically (is) on your level and to give him a size advantage. I’m not doing it.”​

You have some serious reading comprehension buddy

Jones vs SF DC at HW would be great. DC has looked like he is fighting in three feet of mud since his return to HW though. LHW forced DC to stay in shape. He looked so much faster and more crisp at LHW in the UFC than he has at HW lately

But as a Jones fan, aren't you curious about how he would handle a fight in which he doesn't have a massive weight/height/reach advantage?
Gus and Santos are close, but I'd like to see JJ deal with a bigger guy.
Like how Wanderlei Silva in his prime fought HW Mark Hunt and Fujita, Anderson Silva fought Forrest Griffin, Randy Couture had Tim Sylvia, BJ Penn fought Machida, Crocop had Aleksander, Big Nog submitted Bob Sapp, etc...

We've seen Jones beat smaller guys (very skilled smaller guys, but still) so many times, it would be interesting to watch him deal with a big, big guy.
Not because I'm obsessed with watching him lose, I'm not even talking about feeding Jones to 100% Ubereem or Miocic, but someone who is a legit HW, maybe in the lower top 10 rank, to see how he would deal with this.

Someone like Travis Browne would have been perfect IMHO: massive natural HW (so, not simply a bloated up LHW) with a decent set of skills, but not a world beater either.
Let's be honest, Jones isn't a HW, he might be tall and with good reach but he is slim. He could compete with the HWs but would struggle because they would have the size and strenght advantage, we all know it plays a big part in combat sports.

Also at the top HW division is basically "I sleep you this time, you sleep me next time" and so on. Way too much luck involved to risk it all.

You have some serious reading comprehension buddy

Jones vs SF DC at HW would be great. DC has looked like he is fighting in three feet of mud since his return to HW though. LHW forced DC to stay in shape. He looked so much faster and more crisp at LHW in the UFC than he has at HW lately
umm negative

“ I think he would be a tougher fight at heavyweight, but I still believe I would win. I believe I have his number. I know how to beat him.”
I thoroughly expected to get shit for my snark....

...but I did not expect it to take over a day for it to arrive! LOL

DC sounds fake humble.
Its not like Jones isn't the greatest LHW ever, but the guy is beatable and the guy has lost.
Gus and Mareta already beat him.
Ngannou can probably kill him with one punch.
Blades dominates him and Stipe probably dominates him too.

Back