DAZN CEO admits not happy yet with subscribers

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With DAZN bleeding millions, he is counting on return on investments. Too early to tell, but Eddie Hearn said he will not go the way of PBC

Based on what Skipper stated during a press conference March 11 to announce Golovkin’s addition to DAZN, they’re counting on Alvarez-Jacobs and comparable fights to significantly increase subscriptions at a rapid rate.

“I will be at a 10, but I don’t know when exactly,” Skipper said in reference to how satisfied he was with subscriptions, on a scale of 1 to 10. “But I will be at a 10. We have had good success and one landmark event, and that’s the Canelo fight [against Rocky Fielding on December 15].

“I expect to have four to five landmark events this year and to move from my current three or four [level of satisfaction]. Which means I’m satisfied with where I need to be towards knowing what we need to accomplish in the long run, and that’s when I’ll be at a 10.”
https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-...-138622?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pretty common for new companies to take time before becoming profitable. He said he's satisfied with where they're going.

Is DAZN bleeding money or did they spend so much money for content and infrastructure? Even Disney was expecting to take billion dollar losses in the short term with the acquisition of Hulu in that Fox deal.

Hell, I believe Amazon actually didn’t turn a profit until after 14 years of being a company

Is DAZN bleeding money or did they spend so much money for content and infrastructure? Even Disney was expecting to take billion dollar losses in the short term with the acquisition of Hulu in that Fox deal.

Hell, I believe Amazon actually didn’t turn a profit until after 14 years of being a company

It's easy to forget now but for years people were wondering how Twitter was even going to make money - let alone when they'd become profitable.

Just subscribed today, disappointed not to see all the MLB games included.

It's easy to forget now but for years people were wondering how Twitter was even going to make money - let alone when they'd become profitable.
Difference is Twitter wasn't hemorrhaging money from day one. A $350 million dollar acquisition for a fighter??? TBH, the business plan doesn't look good. Professional sports and a niche sport at that? It doesn't look good, stronger businesses fold for much less. Twitter was cheap to maintain, (servers and bullshit), advertisers that wanted exposure were a plenty by the time Twitter had 1 million users, they went public and sold pieces of the company to many other corporations. Not a good example to compare Twitter. Great idea DAZN but unless they have UFC type money they dove in a little early. And their marketing to get subscribers is shit.....That's why they're going to go out of business.

Difference is Twitter wasn't hemorrhaging money from day one. A $350 million dollar acquisition for a fighter??? TBH, the business plan doesn't look good. Professional sports and a niche sport at that? It doesn't look good, stronger businesses fold for much less. Twitter was cheap to maintain, (servers and bullshit), advertisers that wanted exposure were a plenty by the time Twitter had 1 million users, they went public and sold pieces of the company to many other corporations. Not a good example to compare Twitter. Great idea DAZN but unless they have UFC type money they dove in a little early. And their marketing to get subscribers is shit.....That's why they're going to go out of business.

They were in the red for hundreds of millions per quarter. Really not a bad comparison.

I would love to know how many subscribers do they have.....over 30 mil per fight for Canelo.....I think they have overpaid for matchroom, golden boy and Bellator.....I don't know the fees for road, combate and the wbss

I have DAZN & Showtime but no ESPN+. I'm satisfied with the variety of content I get with boxing and MMA to the point that I will probably never order another UFC PPV in my house. If I really want to see it I'll head to a sports bar.

dazn has yet to produce a big fight. sure they have big names for boxing but those fighters have been in mismatches since signing. bellator has only had 2 big events on there and they were both major flops imo. im guessing this wkend they will get a big bump in subscribers for an actual interesting fight but not enough good content overall

gonna be hard to make that money back, especially with already a price increase, and now fights that you have to buy on PPV on DAZN too. They have spent a lot of money hoping it will work. I'm curious how it plays out or how expensive it will get... My issue with these services (well my experience is only fight pass), but its limited to 720p, and no 5.1

I have DAZN & Showtime but no ESPN+. I'm satisfied with the variety of content I get with boxing and MMA to the point that I will probably never order another UFC PPV in my house. If I really want to see it I'll head to a sports bar.
How would you do for tonights ufc card?

I have DAZN and ESPN + but no showtime. ESPN+ is a bit of a disappointment for me.

Just subscribed today, disappointed not to see all the MLB games included.
They have a couple games on there I believe, as does ESPN+. I believe DAZN in Canada provides all the mlb games. But MLB also has its own MLB.TV which has every MLB game (not subject to blackouts) but a lot has to do with MLB being a legalized monopoly and it’s regional television exclusive rights bullshit and such

They were in the red for hundreds of millions per quarter. Really not a bad comparison.
Moviepass may be a more apt comparison but it didn’t quite have the money behind it that DAZN has I believe

Back