Media Dana "you've got to take it from the champion!"

THANK YOU !!!!!

Don't care if Reyes "looked tired" in the last two rounds.

Fair enough.

How about we start taking a point from fighters too tired to engage in the last round?

It's the most moronic concept in combat sports. Champions don't get handicaps like it's amateur bowling and the challenger is a better bowler.

It's pretty much only used as a justification of bad decisions.

Damn so once you are champ you basically have fights on easy mode... Cruise to a DEC and you will most likely win.

Promoter covering his ass. That's all that is. Judges can't operate under those perimeters.

As a old schooler I totally agree a championship fight is not your regular 3 rounder more rounds more is expected of you as a contender. Look at it this way you're walking in with a point disadvantage against the champ especially worse if you're walking in against a long standing champ.

Reyes was the one coming in with all they hype and the noize of taking guys out in the 1st rounds big, young, athletic, and ready. Jon was the fading damaged rep fighter who looked a little ordinary in his last fight. It was Dominick's fight to take he had bursts of moments flashes of flare but at no time whatsoever did I say <SelenaWow> no wow you don't get to bow. Jon was the one walking him down the majority of the rounds back peddling and countering while fighting in bursts won't win you a belt only get your fanz talking. Jon does and did what Jon always does neutralize all your weapons makes you fight cautious and gets you tired, why should he lose his belt when he's doing what he always does when you're the one not doing what you've been raved about for doing. You want the belt then take it it's a Championship fight.

As a old schooler I totally agree a championship fight is not your regular 3 rounder more rounds more is expected of you as a contender. Look at it this way you're walking in with a point disadvantage against the champ especially worse if you're walking in against a long standing champ.

Reyes was the one coming in with all they hype and the noize of taking guys out in the 1st rounds big, young, athletic, and ready. Jon was the fading damaged rep fighter who looked a little ordinary in his last fight. It was Dominick's fight to take he had bursts of moments flashes of flare but at no time whatsoever did I say <SelenaWow> no wow you don't get to bow. Jon was the one walking him down the majority of the rounds back peddling and countering while fighting in bursts won't win you a belt only get your fanz talking. Jon does and did what Jon always does neutralize all your weapons makes you fight cautious and gets you tired, why should he lose his belt when he's doing what he always does when you're the one not doing what you've been raved about for doing. You want the belt then take it it's a Championship fight.
Real fucking talk that will hurt feelings

Lol Dana said a lot of guys have the old school mentality of "You've got to take it from the champion!"

In other words if Reyes was champ and Jones as challenger (hypothetically), and both performed exactly the same as they did on Saturday, Reyes would have won.

At least Dana doesnt say that's his personal opinion but by even mentioning it shows some level sympathy for it.

Timestamped

What a joke. Where was this shit when he was trash talking GSP after the Hendricks fight???

Dana has done a lot for the sport, and sometimes I agree with him, but he's a fucking goddamn hypocrite.

Well yeah. Judges know who the guys are and who the favorite is, so if a round is remotely close, there is always a chance they were focusing a little more on a dominant champ than the challenger.

I thought for sure Reyes did enough to win the first 3 rounds, but it's not like he dropped Jones in all those rounds or held him down or maintained dominant position to make it undeniably dominant, so if a judge was watching with just a little more emphasis on Jones' strikes, I could see how they could get it wrong or unintentionally play favorites.

Thanks Dana, Mighty Mouse is probably crying now

Fair enough.

How about we start taking a point from fighters too tired to engage in the last round?

Maybe... But as far as the title fight last week.. Reyes probably had less lateral movement in round 5 than in all previous rounds eh?

That's one of the reasons Jones outstruck him and won the round. The other reason is that Reyes threw fewer strikes. (but that's not a crime)

Only my opinion, but Reyes lost the last round, and there was fighting going on the whole time... Jones landed way too many strikes to say that there could be some sort of "deductible lack of activity" They were fighting. There was engagement or there would not have been strikes landed.

The striking stats said for the 5th Jones landed 26 while Reyes landed 21 that could not be described as inactive by any reasonable measure. Plus Reyes actually threw 46 strikes, he just missed... More than Jones, and certainly not inactive

In other circumstances...… Sure, I wouldn't mind someone getting docked a point for running and not engaging at all.

Back