Dana White restates disdain for other promotions

Yeah, I don't exactly agree with it either. I don't think anyone really does.

Exactly. It's just wasting away the prime years of quality fighters. It doesn't allow the fighter the opportunity to make more money & increase their value as fighters. It also robs them of the opportunity to build their resume & legacy. & with the recent patterns in combat sports, who's to say that none of the Champs being put on the shelf for so long don't end up getting hurt in preparation for their ONE FIGHT PER YEAR & end up missing THAT fight as well? It clearly has overwhelmingly more benefits to Bellator than their contracted fighters....& that's total bullsh*t....

No I think Zuffa is very shady take fighters who are on the fence doing well but not entertaining enough. In Zuffa's contract they can hold you for up to something like 18 months between fights. So even though your still under contract they can make you sit out for over a year per fight. Many fighters talk about the problems with inactivity do to waiting for an event. Many successful or entertaining fighters could fight up to 3 times in a year others could wait for a year or more between fights. This may sound like not a big deal but many of these fighters are making 3 to 6K per fight months between fights can suck. One thing that Zuffa is good at is if you have a 3 or 5 fight contract you could have 2 quick events then make you wait a year then negotiate a deal for 3 fights ahead of your last fight on your first contract.

Yeah that happens in Bellator much more often yet they keep signing guys matching offers when so many guys who don't make that much and don't get fights. Even their champs. So are you as pissed about that. At least any UFC guy on the sidelines has his training inures covered, and will get more sponsorship money when they do fight.

Dd you follow Bellators Tyson Nam debacle? They didn't give him one single fight during his contract for a year(not the only guy that happens to there). They release him, he KO's their champ in another org and as soon as other orgs want to sign him and give him fights Bellator wants to tie him up in legal tape again and make him sit out another year and a half. They screwed DAve Hermann over and sat on his contract for along time because he lost a fight in another org that they agreed he could take(Because he was inactive in Bellator)

LOL literally everything in your oh so righteous tirade agaisnt UFC fighters inactivity and low pay is worse and more openly shady and dismissive in Bellator. With the added bonus of less sponsor money, less notoriety and no Zuffa insurance. So your moral stand must make you really angry at Bellator huh...

Dana summed it up in the following tweet on twitter:
"Hypocrites at Bellator are fucking their fighters. It these type of peep that UFC never worked w other Orgs. #NOCoPROMO"

Looks like Dana's at it on twitter again and this time for good reason as Bellator has been making negotiations for Eddie Alvarez a living hell.

Through a series of tweets last night and this morning Dana has laid out how Bellator is clearly not for what the fighter wants and how UFC has always been pro fighter. Eddie clearly wants out, but Bellator's shady contract wont let him and Alvarez isnt even a champ

What if a UFC fighter wanted out, so they could take a lucrative fight in Japan or elsewhere?

I own you cuz you signed on the dotted line. U mad? Fuck you.

MW on up is definitely some light, subpar comp. Viacom probably paid Cole Konrad off to leave the show so this out of shape lay n prayer wouldn't stalemate their HW division with boring decisions for the next 5 years.

It's pretty hard to watch this company with the boring fights. Maybe UFC could take some of these boring fighters (below the Heavyweight division) and make us care about them but Bellator just sucks at promoting it. It's like if I was going to watch Dream and then watch some smaller Japanese organization where there's no Sakurai, Kawajiri, etc. or people I recognize on the cards. Aside from Eddie Alvarez and now Michael Chandler they have nothing. Nobody cared about Cole "snoozefezt" Conrad or anybody else.

Funny thing is that Alvarez would probably make more in Bellator in the long run anyway. If he goes to the UFC and drops a fight (or two) then its possible that the UFC would try to cut his pay (ask Werdum).

If the UFC cuts him then he's damaged goods. Bellator would rather build its own stars rather than take on UFC rejects. So it'd be harder for him to get back in Bellator.

Look at Jake Shields. Imagine if Zuffa didn't own Strikeforce. Would Shields be as valuable to Strikeforce now that he's lost a couple in the UFC, won a couple in unimpressive fashion and failed a drug test? That verses being a guy on 14 fight win streak, ranked as a top 5 MW, and having this mystique of being a fighter who "always finds a way to win" after overcoming the odds and beating Dan Henderson?

The UFC can easily break these fighters coming from competing organizations. Completely destroy their hype and once the hype is gone..the UFC can offer whatever they like (or not offer anything and have them fighting in Bush leagues for the rest of their career)

i dont see the tweets?
i dont see any media stories about this either
dont see anything about this on other forums?

Bellaotor's take on UFC and Bellator contracts:

Rebney, though, claimed that the UFC has, in fact, utilized the same process.

"There is a perception that we somehow release fighters and look to retain our matching rights and the UFC does not," he told MMAjunkie.com. "Dana's comments were very hypocritical. We follow the exact same process that Zuffa followed with us with 'King Mo' Lawal. Zuffa released King Mo on March 27, 2012. They went public with that release on their own website on UFC.com. Dana confirmed that they had released Mo free and clear the same day with the media.

"Three weeks later, in April, when we went to try to sign King Mo, we were informed that the UFC had matching rights, we had to take the offer and the contract for Mo (and) we had to submit it to the UFC. We had to send a certified letter, including the contract, to the UFC's attorneys. We had to then wait 14 business days, which is really over 20 days because of weekends, before we had any legal right to talk to King Mo, and when the UFC didn't match that offer, decided not to match our offer

^ ive read the entire feed back to mid Dec; its not there

Bellaotor's take on UFC and Bellator contracts:

Rebney, though, claimed that the UFC has, in fact, utilized the same process.

"There is a perception that we somehow release fighters and look to retain our matching rights and the UFC does not," he told MMAjunkie.com. "Dana's comments were very hypocritical. We follow the exact same process that Zuffa followed with us with 'King Mo' Lawal. Zuffa released King Mo on March 27, 2012. They went public with that release on their own website on UFC.com. Dana confirmed that they had released Mo free and clear the same day with the media.

"Three weeks later, in April, when we went to try to sign King Mo, we were informed that the UFC had matching rights, we had to take the offer and the contract for Mo (and) we had to submit it to the UFC. We had to send a certified letter, including the contract, to the UFC's attorneys. We had to then wait 14 business days, which is really over 20 days because of weekends, before we had any legal right to talk to King Mo, and when the UFC didn't match that offer, decided not to match our offer

Bellator can match any offer from other promotions. UFC made him an offer, Bellator matched it. So Alvarez must decide whether to accept it and stay in Bellator or not accept it and wait out a year for the matching clause to expire.

The only hope for Alvarez is that the UFC makes a crazy offer that Bellator cannot afford to match, like $500 000+ per fight.

he's definitely not worth that much

:eek:

As an attorney let me tell Alvarez what I tell my clients. If you sign a contract be prepared to deal with the consequences. If you don't like something in the contract don't sign it. Its Eddie's fault if he didn't like this matching clause he shouldn't have signed the deal

True but you can't say anything unless you see the contract.

Also, I don't know the details of what happened but unless Bellator has some actual (non-punitive) reason for waiting and waiting before matching, a court might still void that term since its pretty contrary to public interest to allow employers to keep their employees out of work for a year if they ever decide to leave that company. Seems pretty unconscionable to me.

he's definitely not worth that much

:eek:

Rebney had this to say about Lombard:

Rebney said that contract, which according to him paid Lombard a $400,000 signing bonus, a $300,000 starting purse per fight and pay-per-view participation points, was cost-prohibitive from Bellator's standpoint.

Basically what he's saying about Alvarez, too.

if i were bellator i wouldnt want to piss off the ufc. i would want a working relationship.

Back