Dana turns down Rebney's offer to let Askren go if he got a title shot

Good, hope he stays out of the UFC. Only reason I would want him to come over is so that he could get beat and stop any hype he might have, and so Douglas Lima can become Bellator Champion.

that's odd.
Didn't Dana say that he was looking for Askren's career?
Then how come now he can't get a title shot?

Because title shots are earned, not given out to random fighters from other promotions.

There are enough contenders at 170 as it is, in fact if Askren has to work his way up like everyone else does he most likely gets stopped by any random top 10 welterweight and thusly didn't deserve the title shot in the first place

If he had taken Bellator's bait he would've given the impression of accepting it as a viable threat. No way that he would've done that to their competitor.

I don't understand how people think beating a couple of bottomfeeders on the feeder leagues should entitle fighters to challenge the greatest welterweight champion in MMA history in their promotional debut

it's weird

Makes Dana look like a punk bitch and scared his best getting by someone in another org.

Makes Dana look like a punk bitch and scared his best getting by someone in another org.

not really.

He's not awarding title shots to the fools in the front row at UFC events challenging his champs to fights either.

I don't know who you are, but my "substance-less shit" may have less to do with me and more to do with your inability to follow a conversation. What does Ben Askren's performance against Jay Hieron have to do with GSP being boring? Are you referring to their fight ten years ago when Rush was exciting and went for the kill? Yea, we all miss that GSP.

You probably don't know who I am because I don't see the need to endlessly spam the forum with one line posts. I can't follow a conversation? You can't understand a fucking comparison. If Askren and GSP's performance against the same fighter doesn't have any validity as a point of comparison then why does Askren's against guys GSP has never fought and who are so far out of a top 20 ranking it hurts?

Dana brought in Jake Shields and Nick Diaz from other orgs specifically to challenge GSP and neither guy has been all that impressive. If Dana felt this was on this was on the up and up and that Askren was that big a deal, he would have gone the lengths to bring him in. But I don't think anyone really cares

Dana brought in Jake Shields and Nick Diaz from other orgs specifically to challenge GSP and neither guy has been all that impressive. If Dana felt this was on this was on the up and up and that Askren was that big a deal, he would have gone the lengths to bring him in. But I don't think anyone really cares

Brings guy that he knows his champ can beat but ducks bringing guy who will beat his champ.

Um, while your boy is the champ in the second best MMA organization on the planet, the FACT is, he has exactly ZERO top ten wins for fuck sake. I get it - you like how he dominates guys outside of the top ten. Cool. That doesn't earn you a title shot against the greatest WW champion in the history of the fucking sport. And for the record, GSP would tool Askren.

How's he going to fight top 10 opponents in an organization without top 10 fighters? It's not Askren's fault that he wasn't signed by the UFC, but ny a lesser org instead. That's normal, btw; you crush guys in smaller orgs, and because of that, the big show takes interest in you and signs you. Of course, when you have a contract with Bellator, it's never that easy.

Askren has been as impressive as is possible outside of the UFC. This nonsense that if you didn't fight in the UFC and beat top opponents you're therefore not UFC-worthy is just that, nonsense. Using that logic, no one would ever be in the UFC since they never had any wins over UFC fighters prior to being signed. How many MMA fighters have their first pro fights in the UFC? Pretty much none. They work their way there, which is what Askren's doing. So let's get him signed and see how he does.

As far as the title shot, that's Rebney being unreasonable. As Roufus mentioned, the UFC wouldn't give him a title shot even if they desperately wanted him because they have no promotional material. He needs at least one fight before going for the title. I wish Dana and Bjorn would stop the dick measuring contest and just work a reasonable deal out.

Why on earth would Askren get an instant title shot? Sure, there are several times when unwarranted title shots have been given out, but that has primarily been due to the UFC having the opportunity to earn big money and that has only been given to UFC fighters. Not Bellator champs. Extremely few hardcore fans would pay to watch that fight and you can't really sell it as the UFC doesn't have the promo material to do so (and even if they owned Bellator, Askren hasn't really delivered highlight material :icon_lol:).

I'd like to see Askren fight GSP just to see him get owned badly and at the same time stop hearing from people how awesome wrasslin Askren has. Just hope for UFC's sake that they don't pay much for him as he's unproven and quite boring.

Brings guy that he knows his champ can beat but ducks bringing guy who will beat his champ.

The guys he brought in were much more proven fighters with wins over top ten fighters, whereas the guy he's saying no to hasn't really done anything to suggest he's a threat

The guys he brought in were much more proven fighters with wins over top ten fighters, whereas the guy he's saying no to hasn't really done anything to suggest he's a threat

Guys in the twilight of their career, versus a guy who is easily top ten in that division and has his whole career ahead of him.

Rebney punked Dana because Dana didnt have the balls.

Back