'Dana said I need more social media followers to get titleshot'

Do you agree with Dana's position?

• Total voters
he's ranked 3rd. he doesn't warrant a title shot by ranking or popularity. does anyone who is complaining about this actually want him to get the next title shot?
i guess after Cejudo, who shouldn't be fighting TJ, No Love should get a 3rd shot. He's ranked #2.
I don't like that popularity should get you a TS. I understand it, but it should be based on winning fights. Even if boring, winning should be the factor. He should promote himself as all fighters, but they don't need to go out of their way, when you have a promoter.

Well ofc thats stupid by dana, but why would he get titleshot, tj smoked him not long time ago and he would clearly smoke him again, no point in that fight

i guess after Cejudo, who shouldn't be fighting TJ, No Love should get a 3rd shot. He's ranked #2.
I don't like that popularity should get you a TS. I understand it, but it should be based on winning fights. Even if boring, winning should be the factor. He should promote himself as all fighters, but they don't need to go out of their way, when you have a promoter.
Why shouldn’t Cejudo be fighting tj?

Popularity on its own doesn’t get anyone a title shot, and even boring unpopular fighters can work their way to a title shot. But again, in this case, he doesn’t really warrant a title shot yet people are up in arms.

Assuncao is a real nice guy and has worked hard and beaten good fighters but I do agree with Dana to an extent, you have to have a certain "it" factor to generate business and it sucks but this is real life and nice guys finish last sometimes. I hope he gets a shot eventually and I'll root for him vs. Moraes.

It's the Fight Game not the Olympics, guy has earned 300k from his last two fights and has less than 10k IG followers, could certainly do more.

That he loves doing everything he can to lower a fighter's price.
again, it’s part of his job. You’re saying he must love it because he’s doing what his company needs him to do. You’re even assuming he’s negotiating every deal for every fighter on the roster.

I think fighters should be promoting themselves by themselves or by working with a marketing agent. They are contractors for a reason who can potentially get a share of the company’s revenue.

The UFC platform makes it relatively easy to do so. We are not talking about some obscure organization with a well known name.
Or the promoter could just do their job?

It's the Fight Game not the Olympics, guy has earned 300k from his last two fights and has less than 10k IG followers, could certainly do more.
Literally the entire argument against boxing in addition to the multiple title belts they have is that all the fighters aren't under 1 roof and the best hardly ever fight each other. UFC has everyone under 1 roof and they can solve that issue and it's still a popularity contest. Throw him in there against Lineker and guarantee the title shot. Also, it's not like anyone really watches the bantamweights and flyweights anyways, they are consistently some of the lowest watched divisions.

He should find an angle and commit to it a 1000 pct

again, it’s part of his job. You’re saying he must love it because he’s doing what his company needs him to do. You’re even assuming he’s negotiating every deal for every fighter on the roster.
I'm saying he must love it because being a jerk is his thing.

Why shouldn’t Cejudo be fighting tj?

Popularity on its own doesn’t get anyone a title shot, and even boring unpopular fighters can work their way to a title shot. But again, in this case, he doesn’t really warrant a title shot yet people are up in arms.
Cejudo is coming from a lower division, and was gifted a decision. But I guess this day in the UFC, win a title, you get to fight for another one. Even with no defenses. yes, no one to defend against in 125 because no more. But fight a contender first. Assuncao has a streak and Henry hasn't fought at 135. I'm not a fan of Raphael, but I prefer someone to get their shot based winning. But it is popularity. Cody got a rematch after getting KO'd. Because who really knew anyone outside of him and TJ. No one really knew cejudo either except maybe getting lucky beating MM.
Like Fitch, was considered a wet blanket and took a while. So popularity is more than winning alone. Even if boring.
I'll watch TJ against Cejudo, but if Raphael beats Marlon he should get it for sure.

that's a cop out response.
MMA is a sport. Should be treated as such.

in Soccer, Brazil does not play in every final because they play beautifully or because they have a lot of fans.
In the NBA, Lakers did not make playoffs just because Kobe was retiring of they were popular.

Number of followers should NEVER be part of criteria for a title shot. Being top contender is the ONLY criteria.
To be fair, it's common in team sports for players to get paid more when they are fan favorites and help sell tickets. You see a lot of that, like teams signing a fan-favorite linebacker who is over the hill to play out one or two more seasons because the fans want it.

Or the promoter could just do their job?
UFC does their job better than any competitor. But fighters also need to do their part. Otherwise, Dana and the Co will favor others who are more marketable.

Raphael is a very good fighter but he's been crying about this shit for a long time and when considering everything I honestly don't give a fuck he hasn't gotten a shot.His robbery over TJ Dillashaw was just pathetic (20 media scores 30-27 and one 30-28 for TJ zero for Raf) and he clearly lost to Moraes (16-1 media scores for Moraes).Then TJ beat him easily again.

To make it all worse and what bothered me the most was him intentionally sitting out for almost 2 years waiting for a title shot and literally said he was going to just wait for his title shot but at some point had to get in there but pulled out to what I believe was a BS injury just playing the waiting game.Not once has this lucky m'fer deserved a title shot when looking at the big picture and that has nothing to do with how many followers he has.Great fighter,super nice guy but dude,everyone knows you lost the fights you hinge these "title shot deserving" performances off of.He gets zero sympathy from me and crying about it being just because of social media makes it worse and idgaf what he says Dana said.

"I’ll just sit on the couch and wait for the boss to call.” Again,which didn't work out for you last time....he has to know he lost those fights,his entitlement is annoying.

Also did Dana really say that or did he imply something and Raphael just ran with it?I think it's funny fans here are actually acting like it's just the social media thing hahahaha.

Last edited:
Back