Dana: "More impressive winner of Hendricks/Brown, Macdonald/Lombard gets next shot"

Diaz needs to actually win some fights before getting another gifted title shot.

Didn't he just say Kelvin can get the shot too with a win over Woodley?

If you ain't sure dude just don't say it, plenty of other ways to hype these fights without saying "this guy gets the shot" then eventually doesn't get it.

The way he said it sounded like Kelvin's time would be later and not likely come off of the Woodley fight in and of itself.

He also said Kelvin could get a shot with an impressive win over Woodley, Also Diaz could get a rematch with Lawler with a win over Silva

So basically what he is saying is nothing at all
He basically is trying to set some bullshit deal where up to 4 fights guys may have to fight reckless not smart if they want a title shot. Especially if the first fight is decided by KO. Then simply beating a really tough opponent isnt good enough even if they win solidly. They may have to risk their win bonus going for a KO and leaving themselves open and it still might not be good enough. This "most impressive performance" is shady enough let alone it involving up to 4 fights

They are really REALLY doing everything they can to avoid a Rory MacDonald championship

He's 8-1 in his last 9, with that one loss being to the current placeholder.

He was all set to be given the title shot but because hendricks/lawler 2 was close they decided they wanted the trilogy, so they give Rory a fight with Lombard (quite possibly the 2nd best, if not the best WW on the planet..I think Rory and he are #1 and #1 respectively)

and then Hendricks decides to fight Brown instead of waiting.... so they could've just restored Rory's title shot but no...

And now they're saying it's whoever is more impressive?

Well here's the problem with that: Rory is at the very least one of the best 4 WW's on the planet, if not #1... and so is Hector Lombard, and so is Johny Hendricks.

Matt Brown is NOT one of the 4 best. I'm not sure he's even one of the 5 or 6 best. I think he's probably behind Woodely, so there's no way he's better than #6 if he's lucky.

My point is this: If the title shot is to be decided based on who looks more impressive, Johny is going to probably look more impressive because he has a WAY EASIER FIGHT.

Put Rory in there vs Matt Brown and give Johny Hector Lombard and see how impressive Johny looks...

#1 and #2 is going to be a hard close fight. But #4 vs #6+ is probably going to be not nearly as close, and thus Johny will look more impressive.

Add to that... Styles Make Fights and Matt Brown is a great style match up for Hendricks. He is a brawler that is not very hard to hit, and he's going up against the guy with the hardest punch in the division... plus Brown's wrestling defense isn't up to par to Hendricks' wrestling offense so frankly we're either looking at a first round knock out or an effortless lay and pray victory for Hendricks, I give Brown almost no chance in this fight unless he can somehow outcardio him, but I don't think he has the skills to do it (and is Hendricks/Brown even the main event? If not, it will only be a 3 round fight, which plays to Hendricks advantage even more)

So in the same way that Lawler was able to pick apart Brown by being a much better striker, Hendricks will be able to do much the same plus he has better wrestling too.

Rory vs Hector on the other hand is impossible to decide. Calculating striking vs Great power. Smart wrestling vs Incredible Strength that makes Lombard's Judo very hard to deal with.

Rory vs Lombard is the best possible fight at 170 right now. With all due love and respect, I think it's even a better match up than GSP vs anyone. Because it's almost like Jones vs Cormier was (where on paper both guys seemed so even, it was almost impossible to pick)

They are really REALLY doing everything they can to avoid a Rory MacDonald championship

He was all set to be given the title shot but because hendricks/lawler 2 was close they decided they wanted the trilogy, so they give Rory a fight with Lombard (quite possibly the 2nd best, if not the best WW on the planet..I think Rory and he are #1 and #1 respectively)

and then Hendricks decides to fight Brown instead of waiting.... so they could've just restored Rory's title shot but no...

Well here's the problem with that: Rory is at the very least one of the best 4 WW's on the planet, if not #1... and so is Hector Lombard, and so is Johny Hendricks.

Matt Brown is NOT one of the 4 best. I'm not sure he's even one of the 5 or 6 best. I think he's probably behind Woodely, so there's no way he's better than #6 if he's lucky.

My point is this: If the title shot is to be decided based on who looks more impressive, Johny is going to probably look more impressive because he has a WAY EASIER FIGHT.

Put Rory in there vs Matt Brown and give Johny Hector Lombard and see how impressive Johny looks...

#1 and #2 is going to be a hard close fight. But #4 vs #6+ is probably going to be not nearly as close, and thus Johny will look more impressive.

Add to that... Styles Make Fights and Matt Brown is a great style match up for Hendricks. He is a brawler that is not very hard to hit, and he's going up against the guy with the hardest punch in the division... plus Brown's wrestling defense isn't up to par to Hendricks' wrestling offense so frankly we're either looking at a first round knock out or an effortless lay and pray victory for Hendricks, I give Brown almost no chance in this fight unless he can somehow outcardio him, but I don't think he has the skills to do it (and is Hendricks/Brown even the main event? If not, it will only be a 3 round fight, which plays to Hendricks advantage even more)

So in the same way that Lawler was able to pick apart Brown by being a much better striker, Hendricks will be able to do much the same plus he has better wrestling too.

Rory vs Hector on the other hand is impossible to decide. Calculating striking vs Great power. Smart wrestling vs Incredible Strength that makes Lombard's Judo very hard to deal with.

Rory vs Lombard is the best possible fight at 170 right now. With all due love and respect, I think it's even a better match up than GSP vs anyone. Because it's almost like Jones vs Cormier was (where on paper both guys seemed so even, it was almost impossible to pick)

Sounds about right.

And Hendrix gets to fight first so if he smothers Brown for a decisive lay and pray victory in-between landing a few good shots and takes an unanimous decision then Rory may essentially need a finish.

funny to think that brown took down robbie with ease in the early rounds while hendricks cant

ugh WW is such a mess, just give the title shot to Lombard FFS, hes the only high ranked guy that hasnt faced Lawler

Also just said Kelvin could get it with a win so , basically anyone could get it ?
What an accurate " ranking system " for sure !

Amen

Having Rory "stripped off" his title shot to make him fight the most feared fighter of the division is just a travesty.

If those two had to fight, it shouldn't have been for anything less than a championship fight.

Rory should have gotten his shot and Hendricks should have fought Lombard

Didn't he just say Kelvin can get the shot too with a win over Woodley?

If you ain't sure dude just don't say it, plenty of other ways to hype these fights without saying "this guy gets the shot" then eventually doesn't get it.

He also said he wants Diaz vs. Lawler 2.

Not a big MacDonald fan or Lombard fan, but I think either of them winning should be considered more impassive than Hendricks beats Brown, even as a snoozefest. Hendricks should beat brown easily, as he's beaten much better guys in the past and has the tools to KO him. On the other hand MacDonald and Lombard both have great takedowns and TKD, MacDonald has the point game while Lombard has the power, neither guy has a significant edge.

Not enough for these guy's to beat eachother. they have to do so more convincingly than a guy in a totally different fight.? that's messed up, Only 1 fight should determine who gets a shot. If i put my all in on beating a guy and barely got a decision because it turns it he was a hell of a fighter i'd be pissed for to be passed over because the other guy Got a better looking win.

Unless the opponents are of the exact same caliber thats BS. and thats next to impossible, so it IS BS

I like it. Of the 4 potential title shotters, 3 have proven time and time again that they'll stall the shit out of a contender/title fight. Brown is the only one who comes to kick ass and chew bubble gum, every time.

Dana promised me the title shot too.

Dana and the Ferttitas seem to run this company like a bunch of kids. I commend them for taking the company this far but imo, they are incapable of taking it any further.
I don't know why "this one" bothers me so much but there is just way too many inconsistencies regarding title shots, and too much favoritism going on where it borderlines on the legitimacy.
How does Brown all of a sudden has as good (or better because of favoritism) a chance as Rory for a title shot? I can just see it now, Brown ko's Hendrick and Rory ko's Lombard and Brown get's the next shot, this is not a joke.
This means, according to the UFC, that beating Maia, Woodley and Saffeidine consecutively means nothing because a quick ko of Hendricks should do it.

"If tough would please the president, you might be handsomely rewarded. As long as he does not change his mind immediately after someone else has pleased him"

Shit like this is turning me off the sport. Just be clear and consistent towards the fighters. All this jerking around is not fair on the people who actually fight.

Imagine having to live with that at your workplace. "Oh you know that bonus you were promised if you met certain goals that you actually reached. I changed my mind, but you will get it if you perform more impressively than these 3 other guys next quarter"

Last edited:
Back