Dana is promoting Jon Jones as the number 1 P4P fighter

Its pretty counter intuitive if Jones is going to retire after 309. You think he'd promote Islam to be the flagship fighter in the short term

A promoter doing his job promoting a guy who though hasn’t been active recently, has also been there for 15 years and literally never lost.

I hate Jon as the next guy, but it’s hard not to have him in goat category.

I don’t usually agree with a lot of what Dana White says…

But in this case, he’s right.

yeah dana's a douche and a horrible human, but he's also a PROMOTER who's promoting a fight. i'm sure he'll be making up more nonesnse in the future whether be believes it or not.

i do find it curious how quiet dana was about this topic after either jones two fights prior to gane. barely beating thiago santos and reyes. a lot of people feel he lost to reyes. and let's be honest, dana could easily say " fuckin jones fuckin barely scrapes by thiago fuckin santos is isn't even good enough to hold a spot on our fuckin roster! and in his next fuckin fight many people feel he lost to dominick fuckin reyes fuckin, who has won one single fuckin fight out of his last 5! how the fuckin fuck could you consider this guy the p4p fuckin best?"

The thing that gets me is how willing Dana is to throw other people under the bus to hype up Jones. I get why he would do this to Francis but he threw Islam and Aspinall, his own champions under the bus for Jones.
Insane.

Its pretty counter intuitive if Jones is going to retire after 309. You think he'd promote Islam to be the flagship fighter in the short term

No, you want to do the opposite of that. Look at it from a business point of view. You squeeze the last bit of profit out of the product that you have little time left with whenever you can before moving onto the other products that have more life left in them. This is pretty basic for businesses.

Jon and Stipe have one fight left. After this, there's no more money to be made from Jon for the UFC.

Islam/Aspinall are still going to be around for a while.

The UFC will make the last bit of money they can with Jon, and then move on to working the next fighter once he's no longer useful for business.

3avmje4jx6qd1.jpeg

The UFC p4p list is a marketing tool that they manipulate to promote fighters in upcoming fights.

No, you want to do the opposite of that. Look at it from a business point of view. You squeeze the last bit of profit out of the product that you have little time left with whenever you can before moving onto the other products that have more life left in them. This is pretty basic for businesses.

Jon and Stipe have one fight left. After this, there's no more money to be made from Jon for the UFC.

Islam/Aspinall are still going to be around for a while.

The UFC will make the last bit of money they can with Jon, and then move on to working the next fighter once he's no longer useful for business.
Nah.
Potan vs Jon is the biggest fight the UFC can make.
The UFC isn't going to let anyone (except possibly Stipe) from ruining that.

Nah.
Potan vs Jon is the biggest fight the UFC can make.
The UFC isn't going to let anyone (except possibly Stipe) from ruining that.

No, they can't make that fight because Jon is never going to take it lol. They can make the Stipe fight because Jon is willing.

Jon doing a little teasing about him vs Poatan in future is nothing more than that: teasing. He'll be doing this teasing for years after he retires in order to just support his own brand. He'll never actually come back and fight.

No smart business would look at what the UFC is doing and think they're doing it wrong.

No, they can't make that fight because Jon is never going to take it lol. They can make the Stipe fight because Jon is willing.

Jon doing a little teasing about him vs Poatan in future is nothing more than that: teasing. He'll be doing this teasing for years after he retires in order to just support his own brand. He'll never actually come back and fight.

No smart business would look at what the UFC is doing and think they're doing it wrong.
If you think Jon Jones is afraid of fighting anyone you're a dumbass.
Jon wants fights that motivate him. That's why his worst performances always happened against guys that he was supposed to run over and his best performances are against the best competition.
He'd absolutely fight Potan if the UFC offered it with a nice purse.

If you think Jon Jones is afraid of fighting anyone you're a dumbass.
Jon wants fights that motivate him. That's why his worst performances always happened against guys that he was supposed to run over and his best performances are against the best competition.
He'd absolutely fight Potan if the UFC offered it with a nice purse.

I guess I'm not a dumbass then because I never said he was afraid. Not wanting to fight Poatan or Aspinall doesn't mean he's afraid haha. There's more to managing the late stages of an insanely successful fighting career than just fighting everyone you can.

Jon knows where he's at in his career and isn't an idiot. He wants to keep his record intact and go out on top. He's talked about this a lot. He's not going to just hang around and keep fighting younger contenders until he loses. That just hurts his brand post-fighting.

And yeh, I'm sure if they threw enough money at him then he'd fight Alex. Everyone has their price. But it still has to be worth it to both Jon and the UFC. The amount Jon would want to fight Alex after he's already spent so much time wrapping up his story with this Stipe ending wouldn't be worth it to the UFC, especially not for a guy who isn't going to stick around and keep making them money.

I guess I'm not a dumbass then because I never said he was afraid. Not wanting to fight Poatan or Aspinall doesn't mean he's afraid haha. There's more to managing the late stages of an insanely successful fighting career than just fighting everyone you can.

Jon knows where he's at in his career and isn't an idiot. He wants to keep his record intact and go out on top. He's talked about this a lot. He's not going to just hang around and keep fighting younger contenders until he loses. That just hurts his brand post-fighting.

And yeh, I'm sure if they threw enough money at him then he'd fight Alex. Everyone has their price. But it still has to be worth it to both Jon and the UFC. The amount Jon would want to fight Alex after he's already spent so much time wrapping up his story with this Stipe ending wouldn't be worth it to the UFC, especially not for a guy who isn't going to stick around and keep making them money.
We saw Izzy dominate Potan with wrestling. Frickin Izzy. Jon could bend Potan into a pretzel while half asleep.
Why I want to see the fight is to see how Jon does when he enters Potan's striking range while setting up a TD. Can Potan land something significant enough to hurt Jon that changes how the fight will play out? Honestly that why I'm interested in the Stipe fight. If Jon thinks he can just walk down Stipe while staying in boxing range of Stipe then Stipe can absolutely hurt Jon and make him pay.

I'm sorry BTW. On this site some people literally think Jon is scared to fight people.
And Jon and Potan are both 37. Both have had a long career in combat sports. I don't see either Jon or Potan having much left in MMA which is why having them fight makes sense for both.

It's a toss up between Pereria and Islam for #1. There's no way it's a toss up between Pereria and Ilia. That shouldn't even be a comparison, Ilia isn't in the convo right now.
If you honestly believe all that, you have no idea what you're watching lol

Back