Dana confirms UFC 190 is highest selling PPV of the year

That leads me to think 2015 is a pretty good year for the UFC so far

McGregor fanboys will cry themselves to sleep.

IDK if i'd call myself a fanboy, but his card still beat anything Anderson Silva or GSP ever did in terms of Gate and PPV sales, pretty impressive for a new comer and a last minute replacement opponent

It makes me a little sad that casuals would rather buy a card headlined by a squash match than buy a stacked card, simply because it's Ronda. Like the same people that bought Mayweather-Pacquiao, but didn't watch any other fights than the main event. Those aren't fight fans, those are name-cred fans.

That is why people call them 'casuals'

First PPV I've ever paid for. Don't regret it. Have rewatched the main event several times already.

You would need to re watch it at least 42 more times to get a full 5 round fights worth out of it.

Keep at it fella, you'll get there!

People forget that aldo pulled out. That obviously made it lose some buys. And also Ronda has a belt around her. Casual people are more interested in someone that is some sort of champ. Conor brought all those buys without a belt and without his original opponent. To me that is still more impressive.

Are you really going to compare going from Aldo (never been a PPV draw) to Mendes (top contender) in Las Vegas for the Interim title with Rory MacDonald vs Lawler (title fight) as your co-main to fighting Bethe Correia in Rio (minimal access to US media)?

Seriously, Conor is a draw. We all agree on that.

However, there is NO comparison between the money and time the UFC put into the Conor fight or the level of opponent (Mendes), or his co-main (title fight) or the location (Las Vegas) and fighting Bethe freaking Correia in Rio with 2 Nogs, Shogun and Struve.

There is nothing wrong with coming in 2nd to Rousey. There's no need to look for reasons to prop Conor up, especially when they are a serious stretch.

That leads me to think 2015 is a pretty good year for the UFC so far

IDK if i'd call myself a fanboy, but his card still beat anything Anderson Silva or GSP ever did in terms of Gate and PPV sales, pretty impressive for a new comer and a last minute replacement opponent

WAT?

GSP mained a card that had 55k people in attendance, (which is the largest gate revenue for the UFC...ever) and was co main of the 1.6 mil buys of UFC 100. He walked away the champ, and has the freedom now to tell Dana where to shove it without zero fucks given. His main event against Diaz alone did 1.1 million buys....which is more likely larger than Honda's 190 buys.

Let's not compare a kid to a man.

Silva Sonnen 2 did 1 mil buys which seems to still be larger than Honda and defiantly larger than McCartoon.

Last edited:
unlike McGregor, or Anderson Silva, or Jon Jones, or any of the UFC's major stars before and around her, Rousey doesn't really need much MMA fan support to be successful

That is spot on. I am pretty sure that is the major reason for the hatred shown towards Ronda here. The women hating neckbeards here can't stand the fact that they aren't needed.

People forget that aldo pulled out. That obviously made it lose some buys. And also Ronda has a belt around her. Casual people are more interested in someone that is some sort of champ. Conor brought all those buys without a belt and without his original opponent. To me that is still more impressive.

Oh please, the excuses you offer up are just ... sad.

The UFC spent millions hyping UFC 189, and if you were a casual, you would have thought it was the Conor McGregor show all along. His opponent didn't matter to casuals, since it appeared Conor was the champ anyway. And it was still a title fight (I'm surprised the UFC didn't strip Aldo tbh) that headlined a card with a second title fight FFS.

Ronda's accomplishment is FAR more impressive. Totally weak ass card and a fight everyone knew she was going to win anyway.

Maybe Conor copies the Ronda playbook, stars in some movies, does the morning and evening talk show circuit and blows up even more with casuals. However, part of Ronda's appeal is that she's destroying her opposition (we can agree that she's dominating a shallow talent pool at WMMA 135 and Conor is facing much tougher competition) but Conor isn't going to run through Edgar or Aldo in under a minute. Domination like that sells to casuals.

Personally, I think Conor's sham belt is a joke. He was getting beaten by Mendes until Mendes gassed - and a guy like Edgar would absolutely own Conor. Couple that with the fact that Conor is having more difficulty with the weight cut, and he'll have to move up sooner rather than later, and I predict his run at the top will be short. Very short. He's not winning the belt at 155.

Dont understand why 190 did so well the card sucked

UFC 157 Rousey/Carmouche (First female fight in UFC): 450,000
UFC 168 Weidman Silva II/Rousey/Tate: 1,025,000
UFC 170 Rousey/McMann: 340,000
UFC 175 Weidman/Machida/Rousey/Davis: 545,000
UFC 184 Rousey/Zingano: 590,000
UFC 190 Rousey/Correia: 900,000 (MMAPayout)

McGregor has headlined one PPV and it was with a late replacement.

UFC 189 McGregor/Mendes: 800,000 - 850,000 (Meltzer)

McGregor/Aldo and Rousey/Tate III should be huge.

Either way, Ronda and Conor are bringing in some serious money for the UFC, remember the 'UFC is dying' threads? It's had two cards that have 800k+ PPV buys within a month.

With UFC 182, 183, 184, 189 and 190 this might be their best year in terms of PPV buys.

2009/2010 was probably better.

You have to wonder if that would still be the case if Aldo didn't have to pull out. 189 was very successful even though the heavily advertised fight didn't happen, and the replacement came only what, 10 days in advance or something like that? I guess it doesn't really matter; the fact is, Ronda and Conor are big time moneymakers for the UFC. Imagine if McGregor/Aldo and Rousey/Tate III were the headliners for that proposed Cowboys' Stadium card? If the casuals are buying into Rousey and McGregor as much as it seems, that could be a 2M PPV, especially if they built a decent enough card around it.

You have to wonder if that would still be the case if Aldo didn't have to pull out. 189 was very successful even though the heavily advertised fight didn't happen, and the replacement came only what, 10 days in advance or something like that? I guess it doesn't really matter; the fact is, Ronda and Conor are big time moneymakers for the UFC. Imagine if McGregor/Aldo and Rousey/Tate III were the headliners for that proposed Cowboys' Stadium card? If the casuals are buying into Rousey and McGregor as much as it seems, that could be a 2M PPV, especially if they built a decent enough card around it.

I think there's a real chance that Conor + Rousey on the same card could pull 2M+. No guarantee as you never know how PPV's will work out since 1+1 can end up being 1.5, 2 or 2.5. If it is viewed as an "event" vs a fight, then you could absolutely see absurd numbers.

Still, it's a big risk for the UFC to make that kind of super card when you're basically guaranteed to get 1.6-2M+ views if you put them on separate cards.

Also, Cowboy stadium is a real risk. Even if you're talking a 2M+ PPV event, you still have to fill 70k-100K seats. That's a really tough bar to clear since it's not like flying to Dallas is on a lot of people's bucket lists.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that the UFC's Vegas partners like MGM would be really, really ticked off if the UFC held the biggest event of the past several years in Dallas.

How the fuck did it jump so much from the last time she headlined? She "only" got 590k for 184.

And Weidman/Belfort did less than 500k? That's brutal.

Ronda's by far the most famous MMA fighter on the planet and will only become more and more famous the more she appears in movies which are seen by millions.

Inside the MMA bubble the likes of Conor and GSP are big deals. Ronda is has blown right through that bubble. She's in another league.

How the fuck did it jump so much from the last time she headlined? She "only" got 590k for 184.

And Weidman/Belfort did less than 500k? That's brutal.

Between 184 and 190 she appeared in a film that made 1.5 billion at the box office.

A LOT of people know who Ronda is who didn't before Furious 7. The Cinema world is orders of magnitude bigger than the MMA world.

And yeah, Cormier/Johnson/Weidman/Belfort did 500k. None of those guys are even close to Conor/Ronda level.

If they're on the same card, how can you seriously put her as the co-main event at this point? But how can you put McGregor/Aldo as the co-main after all the build-up? Either they can't be on the same card, or they'll have to do it as a double main event.

Back