Dana confirms UFC 190 is highest selling PPV of the year

Nah, the promotional tour focused on McGregor/Aldo, but it was promoting the UFC and its brand. 190 benefitted from its placement after 189 while the UFC brand was still fresh in the minds of casuals who tend toward Rousey regardless.

That tour pays dividends well beyond 189.

lol

Complete casuals weren't watching the tour. It was to rile up the newbie casuals who suddenly decided they like being Irish. Or so the other guys in the group would know what their buddies were talking about. Any dividends it pays will be long-term by gaining new fans over time. Casuals who have become Conor fans didn't decide to shell out $60 to watch WMMA in Brazil the very next PPV.

And your own post contradicts itself on top of it. It "was still fresh in the mind of the casuals who tend towards Rousey REGARDLESS". What kind of insane, insecure vicarious life do you lead that you have to make up delusional nonsense because Conor only got the 2nd highest PPV? Fucking A, I'm done even trying to play nice with 90% of his fan-base. You guys make it just way too hard.

Last edited:
Ufbr5ej.gif

Why did Ronda became so popular overnight? It wasn't that long ago that her fight vs Mcmann did under 400k

damn, if thats true I believe 189 did about 950k so thats quite the jump from her last fights. Also thats the best back to back showing the ufc has had in years, maybe ever. The UFC went through a rough patch after Brock then GSP retired and Anderson fell, but it looks like business is booming again.

War Honda & McGregoat.

Why did Ronda became so popular overnight? It wasn't that long ago that her fight vs Mcmann did under 400k

She became really popular after the Zingano fight and being in Furious 7 probably helped with the celebrities.

It's even more surprising or impressive because PPV cards outside of North America usually don't do so well.

Didn't think a TUF finale could pull those sort of numbers

It was far from an overnight thing. Her popularity has been trending upward rapidly for the last 2 years.

Prior to the Davis fight her twitter followers were only around 600K. After the Zingano fight it blasted from 800k to over 1M. And in the lead up to UFC 190 her followers climbed to over 1.2M.

Now she has over 1.5M twitter followers, 4.4M instagram followers and 6.6M facebook likes.

4 spectacular fight results (66s, 16s, 14s and 34s) combined with relentless self-promotion (7 city book tour, 2 movie launches, Wrestlemania 31, SXSW, appearances on mainstream media outlets and talk shows including GMA, The View, the Tonight Show, Fallon, Conan) has taken Rousey deep into the main stream. And let's not forget her Sports Illustrated cover, Wall Street Journal video cafe, ESPN video profile, CNBC interviews, CNN appearances, Cosmo, Vogue, Time Magazine, etc, etc, etc.

Rousey has literally been EVERYWHERE when it comes to promoting herself and her fights.

People think it's all the UFC hype machine when a more accurate assessment is that it's the Rousey and Co. promotion machine. They have her doing appearances and interviews for media outlets that wouldn't give Conor, Anderson or even Brock the time of day.

Good for the UFC and for the sport as a whole to have a crossover star like Rousey. It might even encourage girls to take up MMA and in like 5/10 years we might have new emerging talent encouraged by Rousey. A large part of Rousey's appeal is the fact that she undefeated this allows people to speculate whether or not she will be able to beat men up etc. However, if she loses (personally I think she retires undefeated in 2/3 years) that appeal will quickly diminish.

People forget that aldo pulled out. That obviously made it lose some buys. And also Ronda has a belt around her. Casual people are more interested in someone that is some sort of champ. Conor brought all those buys without a belt and without his original opponent. To me that is still more impressive.

anyone who thinks Conor is a bigger star than Ronda is delusional, LOL

being 2nd to Ronda is pretty damn impressive though...especially considering Conor isn't even a (real) champ yet. He has obviously done EXTREMELY well for himself thus far.

It makes me a little sad that casuals would rather buy a card headlined by a squash match than buy a stacked card, simply because it's Ronda. Like the same people that bought Mayweather-Pacquiao, but didn't watch any other fights than the main event. Those aren't fight fans, those are name-cred fans.

It was far from an overnight thing. Her popularity has been trending upward rapidly for the last 2 years.

Prior to the Davis fight her twitter followers were only around 600K. After the Zingano fight it blasted from 800k to over 1M. And in the lead up to UFC 190 her followers climbed to over 1.2M.

Now she has over 1.5M twitter followers, 4.4M instagram followers and 6.6M facebook likes.

4 spectacular fight results (66s, 16s, 14s and 34s) combined with relentless self-promotion (7 city book tour, 2 movie launches, Wrestlemania 31, SXSW, appearances on mainstream media outlets and talk shows including GMA, The View, the Tonight Show, Fallon, Conan) has taken Rousey deep into the main stream. And let's not forget her Sports Illustrated cover, Wall Street Journal video cafe, ESPN video profile, CNBC interviews, CNN appearances, Cosmo, Vogue, Time Magazine, etc, etc, etc.

Rousey has literally been EVERYWHERE when it comes to promoting herself and her fights.

People think it's all the UFC hype machine when a more accurate assessment is that it's the Rousey and Co. promotion machine. They have her doing appearances and interviews for media outlets that wouldn't give Conor, Anderson or even Brock the time of day.
Exactly. How is this even surprising?

1) She is a great self-promoter
2) She is a former Olympian, has Judo skills that are fun to watch and unbelievably talented and has been doing a Tyson-esque beating of her opponents
3) She attracts the women fans
4) Her fan base isn't half in high-school or unemployed and actually pay for PPV
5) She has the whole overcoming adversity, father suicide thing
6) She is polarizing, which brings in haters and fans
7) Celebs love being down with whatever the next 'big thing; is
8) And Bethe did a great job with beating 2 of the horsewoman and that whole TMZ angle
9) Ronda's fans and PPV numbers have been growing despite the cards getting worse

Brock can come in and simply on his WWE fame do a million buys but Ronda outselling Conor in PPV to Conor fans is beyond comprehension.

I wouldn't quite call that "confirmation", I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC put that "#1 PPV" stat on a picture of McGregor to promote something else next month.

My sister who doesn't even watch MMA and lives in New Zealand messaged me on Facebook about the fight and how Ronda's a beast, and she had to watch it.

It makes perfect sense.

Back