News Dana claims Poirier didn't want to fight, Poirier responds

Dustin isn’t some no name, he’s earned his place. I won’t explain how he is obligated and I don’t care, I watch for the fighters not to applaud a businessman.
Yet he did not publicly in any capacity state his demand before he was presented the Tony fight. So the underlying factor seems to be Tony. Regardless of his name or accolades. Thats called being a fan. Im speaking objectively

Not true at all. Dana White said he won't pay Mighty Mouse anymore money than what was in his contract to fight TJ Dillshaw. Then Dana White said in an interview that MJ had PPV points so he'd get paid that way. The problem is TJ vs Mighty Mouse would've never drawn enough viewership to even earn PPV points.

TJ technically wasn't a contender in that weight class btw because he didn't fight other contenders to become one. TJ vs DJ would've been a super fight aka champion vs champion.
It is true unless Dana blanatanly made up the entire scenario(which could be plausible). You can find the video of Dana saying what I just posted. So saying "not true" falls flat here. Also by your thought process Cejudo should never been a contender to fight for the vacant 135lb belt but look what happened. Being a champ in a higher division made.TJ a contender for the 125lb in most people's eyes.

Last edited:
How the fuck do you bury Dustin? He's southern hospitality personified and he kicks more than his fair share of ass. He's also made the ufc lots of money with his exciting fights. FOH dana.

UFC don’t want to pay their top performing athletes their worth is more like it. Fucking disgusting the rev split, I’m surprised nobody has asked Dana how they could possibly share that much split difference without being embarrassed.

Probably 90% of the time I can justify Uncle Dana and agree with him....but c'mon man. How many times you gonna go back to the well and pull the "doesn't want to fight" negotiation tactic. Especially on Dustin...nobody buying that shit.

Just say you are not seeing eye to eye on pay or be a little more honest. You just look fucking petty and dishonest...clear as day.

Yet he did not publicly in any capacity state his demand before he was presented the Tony fight. So the underlying factor seems to be Tony. Regardless of his name or accolades. Thats called being a fan. Im speaking objectively

I’m not sure I’m following but we’ll agree to disagree. I wouldn’t expect him to publicly announce his intentions in a contract negotiation. All that would be said behind closed doors. I’m not sure what the fan comment was about, I’m no huge fan of either but think they’re both fkin awesome fighters.

clearly, he didn't want the fight and is now hiding behind Dana "being cheap" as his excuse.

Have faith, it’s called negotiation... also Dana would toss a bag of kittens of the bridge into an ice cold river to save a few bucks...
<{danayeah}>

Cheap headline but if you read or heard the entire quote, Dana isn't wrong. Before the match was announced, Dustin Poirier stated to Helwani and Okamoto that "Dana knows my number" when it came to making the match. So it's clear Poirier wants more than what Dana is willing to pay therefore Dana's quote of saying "Listen, there’s a lot of different ways to turn down a fight. Negotiating yourself out of one is one of the ways you can do it" is correct as well.

With that said, none of us know the exact numbers (rumor is $300K flat) but I don't blame either Dana or Dustin. Dustin always comes through giving us all entertaining fights but there's no live ticket sales, no merch, no food/beverage sales etc so I understand Dana's stance as well. In the end, I don't blame either and I definitely think Dustin should stand up for what he's worth but also know full well when you ask for more than what you are worth or what the boss thinks you are worth, you won't get it.

PS, Poirier is on a 150K/150K (show win) contract. That's isn't bad if you win but if you lose, you only get about $55-70K after taxes and paying everyone on your team etc as well as where the event is held. Poirier has put in work but allegedly wants $300K show, no win bonus. Just a flat fight pay
Poirier is a fantastic fighter, that man deserves 450k or 500k to show every time. He is in top 3 of best in the world, and UFC should pay him BETTER. If someone like Overeem gets 800k to show each time, then FFS Dustin Poirier should get at LEAST 500k. Remember this is before taxes, before training and travel costs and expenses, and most fighters fight maybe twice per year.

Poirier is a legit top-few-in-the-world and he deserves at least as much as people like Ngannou or Adesanya, or Silva, or Masvidal or Nate-frigging-Diaz. Everyone wants to see Ferguson vs Poirier.

Last edited:
Cheap headline but if you read or heard the entire quote, Dana isn't wrong. Before the match was announced, Dustin Poirier stated to Helwani and Okamoto that "Dana knows my number" when it came to making the match. So it's clear Poirier wants more than what Dana is willing to pay therefore Dana's quote of saying "Listen, there’s a lot of different ways to turn down a fight. Negotiating yourself out of one is one of the ways you can do it" is correct as well.

With that said, none of us know the exact numbers (rumor is $300K flat) but I don't blame either Dana or Dustin. Dustin always comes through giving us all entertaining fights but there's no live ticket sales, no merch, no food/beverage sales etc so I understand Dana's stance as well. In the end, I don't blame either and I definitely think Dustin should stand up for what he's worth but also know full well when you ask for more than what you are worth or what the boss thinks you are worth, you won't get it.

PS, Poirier is on a 150K/150K (show win) contract. That's isn't bad if you win but if you lose, you only get about $55-70K after taxes and paying everyone on your team etc as well as where the event is held. Poirier has put in work but allegedly wants $300K show, no win bonus. Just a flat fight pay

Let me help you out.

150k guaranteed to headline a UFC card is a bad joke.

That is atrocious pay and its getting pennies on the dollar in exchange for brain damage. Poirer is a ranked former title challenger, veteran of a dozen UFC fights and puts on bangers. To say both sides are to blame is ridiculous. Multi-hundred-millionaires who brag about getting nearly a billion in revenue are paying themselves by guys like Dustin getting table scraps.

This bullshit has got to end. Pay the fighters.

Let me help you out.

150k guaranteed to headline a UFC card is a bad joke.

That is atrocious pay and its getting pennies on the dollar in exchange for brain damage. Poirer is a ranked former title challenger, veteran of a dozen UFC fights and puts on bangers. To say both sides are to blame is ridiculous. Multi-hundred-millionaires who brag about getting nearly a billion in revenue are paying themselves by guys like Dustin getting table scraps.

This bullshit has got to end. Pay the fighters.
abso-fucking-lutely.

/thread

FIGHTING A MOTIVATED TONY FERGUSON WHO JUST LOSSED TO A GUY THAT FIGHTS SIMILIAR TO DP--YEAH UNDERSTANDABLE THAT DP WANTS MORE MONEY TO ENTER THE TONY SHOW

I am a big Dana White fan overall. I think he has done something tremendous with the UFC. He has given non-woke and conservative people a sport that is not only raw and pure (as well as strategically and emotionally deep) but free of the petty hypocrisy of big-league pro sports. He is a great promoter, and I support him even more than I support other management in their beefs with labor.

However, on this one, his tired tactic of accusing fighters who want more pay of lacking courage is pathetic and transparent. It is a simple formula: "if you want money, you really are just saying you are a pussy." But Poirier, who fought Khabib IN A MUSLIM COUNTRY, fought Gaethje, Alvarez, and a variety of other violently dangerous fighters cannot remotely be said to be a coward.

Furthermore, Ferguson is now 36 and just got badly stopped by Gaethje several months prior. If I recall, Poirier campaigned for this fight as well.

Now, could Poirier be asking too much? Yes. He is a top contender, but having already lost a fight for the belt and fighting as a co-main, he cannot expect challenger, must less champion, money. His fight against Khabib was also one where he was Interim Champion, and likely garnered a larger payday. His last fight against Hooker was also a main event (though of a free card).

In short, I actually have no problem with Dana saying that Dustin overpriced himself. But the cowardice accusation is a pathetic and unnecessary aspersion on Dustin's character and heart. Just say that you don't want to pay champion dollars for a co-main!

Contracts get renegotiated all the time. Most people would like to see fighters paid what they're worth and fight the best. Then theres guys like you.

Please don't start with the "he shouldn't have signed a contract then'' bullshit.

Again, that’s fine, but if you want to renegotiate, sign shorter contracts. When you sign to fight x amount of fights for y amount of money, that means you fight x amount of fights for y amount of money. It’s not fucking rocket science.

Again, that’s fine, but if you want to renegotiate, sign shorter contracts. When you sign to fight x amount of fights for y amount of money, that means you fight x amount of fights for y amount of money. It’s not fucking rocket science.
Except it's not always the case that contracts are honoured until the end. Also, theres quite a few reasons why a fighter would be reluctant to sign short contracts. You want it to be simple but it's not.

Dustin getting paid 150k show and win at this stage in his career with the fights he has put on is nothing short of pathetic. That's a bad deal 10 years ago, nevermind now.

The ironic part of you being a smart-ass is that you don't understand the difference between a promotional contract and a bout agreement.

What you're talking about is a fighters promotional contract with the UFC. Thanks to Eddie Alverez's past lawsuit you can read one of these and I suggest you do so and educate yourself. What Dustin is negotiating is the bout agreement. Each time you fight you must sign a bout agreement that outlines things like what the weight limit is for the bout, date/time/location and even....wait for it......ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION AND EXPENSES.

Except it's not always the case that contracts are honoured until the end. Also, theres quite a few reasons why a fighter would be reluctant to sign short contracts. You want it to be simple but it's not.

Dustin getting paid 150k show and win at this stage in his career with the fights he has put on is nothing short of pathetic. That's a bad deal 10 years ago, nevermind now.

It is simple though. Fighters sign longer contracts because they want job security. They’re choosing job security over the ability to renegotiate more frequently. They also choose longer contracts because they aren’t confident in their value, so locking in for 5-7 fights at their current value is the safer option. Then they win a couple of fights after signing a long contract and try to renegotiate. You can’t have it both ways.

The ironic part of you being a smart-ass is that you don't understand the difference between a promotional contract and a bout agreement.

What you're talking about is a fighters promotional contract with the UFC. Thanks to Eddie Alverez's past lawsuit you can read one of these and I suggest you do so and educate yourself. What Dustin is negotiating is the bout agreement. Each time you fight you must sign a bout agreement that outlines things like what the weight limit is for the bout, date/time/location and even....wait for it......ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION AND EXPENSES.

“Additional compensation and expenses” is not their salary. Their salary is locked in. Try again.

Back