News Dana claims Poirier didn't want to fight, Poirier responds

Dana dont give a fuck about anybody to throw dustin under the bus like that after all his bangers

Do shorter 3 fight contracts and attempt to increase after each contract, or get your 5 fight contract where you’re happy until/unless you become champion then change the contract, per negotiating the contract you’re planning to sign.

asking for more money after you sign is diva stuff and not really how it works. Especially during a worldwide pandemic.

maybe I’m wrong

thumb_dana-king-matchmaker-danawhite-donking-conormcgregor-floydmayweather-photoshopsteve-ufc-mma-26429021.png
Looks like the fat guy from Jurassic Park that fucked everything up and then got eaten

Nothing of that matters. The Point is, when Jones called for more payment 90% of fans were shitting on him even though he had a stronger leg to stand on. Now when Poirier does the same thing everyone gets behind him and calls Dana a liar.
But Dana wasn't a liar when he said Jones wanted "Deontay Wilder Money" to fight Ngannou even though thats obviously bullshit?
Bruh you gotta learn to comprehend I literally said the aame thing and agreed with you.

I guess it all comes down to if you think dustin is in a good bargaining position or not, and was it about money. The goof is right in saying that a fighter can just continually negotiate without any real intention of fighting, as a cover.

It makes too much sense for these two to fight, i hope they reconsider it.

Dustin deserves a good payday...he always brings on the heat....plus he has great fights...
DrearyDependentAustralianfurseal-max-1mb.gif

Dana is fucking hilarious.... yeah I'm sure we should just believe he was unreasonable and you weren't because you said so. I doubt he was asking for anything insane and even if he wasn't, Dana would probably lie and say he was like he did with Fedor and several other guys. Fedor fully admitted Dana refused to pay him what he wanted and when you saw his payouts in SF it was pretty apparent he was being paid fairly and not asking for anything ridiculous maybe outside of the stadium in Russia. Not even sure if I believe that story either but something about it seems possible, like Fedors team thought he should be held in such a high regard without ever setting foot in the UFC. Fedor denied it was true and honestly, I believe him more than Dana.

Don't forget about Dana flying out to some unknown island to negotiate with Fedor's team.

<36>

Dana's quick to throw anyone under the bus who doesnt bow to him. Even his own fighters.

You know what, if Tony vs Poirier happens at UFC 254 then it will only be 3 rounds because obviously the main event is Khabib vs Gaethje. 3 rounds for Tony/Poirier fight is absurd and not right, we don't want 3 rounds.. it will be over before it begun and we will be screaming for another 2 rounds.

Tony vs Poirier HAS to be a 5 round fight, this is the type of fight that needs to be 5 rounds. So maybe its a blessing in disguise, if they re-book this fight at a later date and make it the main event of a Fight Night card.. it needs to be 5 rounds. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise

Wants more than what is initially offered = Negotiated his way out of a fight

Dana is a POS. Fuck him. He is cancer for this sport. As long as he remains, the sport will not get better.

Disagree. There’s probably no one person more responsible for the sport being what it is today than Dana. He has his quirks but almost everyone who puts his own dent in the universe does.

You know what, if Tony vs Poirier happens at UFC 254 then it will only be 3 rounds because obviously the main event is Khabib vs Gaethje. 3 rounds for Tony/Poirier fight is absurd and not right, we don't want 3 rounds.. it will be over before it begun and we will be screaming for another 2 rounds.

Tony vs Poirier HAS to be a 5 round fight, this is the type of fight that needs to be 5 rounds. So maybe its a blessing in disguise, if they re-book this fight at a later date and make it the main event of a Fight Night card.. it needs to be 5 rounds. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise

They should just book it as a 5 round co-main event. Is there any reason they couldn’t do that that I’m missing?

Dana is a cunt as you say. Got you. Now explain how he is obligated to give more money to a non-title holder because he demands it out of the blue or refuses to take a fight? How is that Dana being a cunt. There would be no UFC if everyone pulled this

Dustin isn’t some no name, he’s earned his place. I won’t explain how he is obligated and I don’t care, I watch for the fighters not to applaud a businessman.

They should just book it as a 5 round co-main event. Is there any reason they couldn’t do that that I’m missing?
I agree they should, but they only do 5 rounds co-main if its a fight for the belt, otherwise its always 3 rounds, which is stupid and I don't know why.

Dana's minds games are so obvious and lazy. He said the same shit about Frankie Edgar, Cyborg, and GSP. All proven warriors. He's mad that Dusting knows his worth and want's to get paid.

Dana white offers peanuts, fighter wants more money. dana instantly slanders fighter what's new

This is a business. Salaries will always be the subject of a game of tug of war between fighters and ownership. Fighters often go public when this happens, knowing that most people tend to have resentful, anti-management sentiments and will be on their side. Management goes public with tactics of their own. As Colin would say, it’s only business.

My prediction is that this fight will get made. Dana did not want to just sit there with negotiations stalled and everyone from Ferguson to the media saying it’s cheap Dana preventing us from seeing our fight. So he put a little needle into Dustin. Now, when the UFC comes back with an improved offer DP will have an additional piece of motivation to take it.

How do you know Dana didn't make a fair offer? I'd say both him and Tony should make about the same money to fight each other. The UFC is making less money now remember. No live gates. Gotta go with the flow.

To most people all business owners are Scrooge McDuck swimming in a room of gold coins, and none of what you said about boring things like revenues and budgets means anything. Run the headline, “employee asks for a thing, manager says no,” and you’ll get these responses.

That being said, I’m not going to criticize Dustin either. He’s testing the boundaries to find out what he can get.

This is how all prices are determined. Who is to say what the “fair” price of a loaf of bread is? People bake bread, they put it up for sale, customers buy it or don’t buy it, and the price gets worked out over time. Bakers would like to sell it for more, customers would like to buy it for less, but the price lands at a place wherever both sides will be willing to engage in the transaction. Same thing for salaries.

i don't like the idea of fighters pricing themselves out either but if there is one guy that deserves that pay hike its Dustin, the guy is active, puts on bangers, reliable and doesn't go out of his way to bash the company

Cheap headline but if you read or heard the entire quote, Dana isn't wrong. Before the match was announced, Dustin Poirier stated to Helwani and Okamoto that "Dana knows my number" when it came to making the match. So it's clear Poirier wants more than what Dana is willing to pay therefore Dana's quote of saying "Listen, there’s a lot of different ways to turn down a fight. Negotiating yourself out of one is one of the ways you can do it" is correct as well.

With that said, none of us know the exact numbers (rumor is $300K flat) but I don't blame either Dana or Dustin. Dustin always comes through giving us all entertaining fights but there's no live ticket sales, no merch, no food/beverage sales etc so I understand Dana's stance as well. In the end, I don't blame either and I definitely think Dustin should stand up for what he's worth but also know full well when you ask for more than what you are worth or what the boss thinks you are worth, you won't get it.

PS, Poirier is on a 150K/150K (show win) contract. That's isn't bad if you win but if you lose, you only get about $55-70K after taxes and paying everyone on your team etc as well as where the event is held. Poirier has put in work but allegedly wants $300K show, no win bonus. Just a flat fight pay

Last edited:
Back