DAMAGE is now the main criteria for 10-8 rounds

Damage should not be the main criteria. Dominating ground work, knockdowns, volume of punches and/or kicks landed, takedowns, and near submissions should be part of the scoring criteria. I don't think there is one criteria to call the main one.

They got it right. That's how it should always have been. Seems like they read sherdog forums because this was brought up recently.

If you guys want more I would like to get paid. Put me in the executives section.

But takedowns should still be important. Like if you take someone down 3 times that should be an easy 10-8
No. Because knockdowns are not 10-8s so takedowns shouldn't be either. The criteria has to be even across the board, it's not boxing rules/judging and it's not wrestling rules/judging - it's mma.

They got it right focusing on damage. This will factor in with people's fight strategies and tactics. If you award wall n stall, lay and pray - more fighters will fight with those strategies to win fights. If you make it damage focused, people will start training and fighting with damage being the focus instead of just control. Control is no different than octagon control, or controlling the center. If there is no damage then there is no advantage in the control. It becomes a stalling strategy and for more exciting fights you don't want stalling type fighting styles or strategies in terms of striking or grappling.

we'll see. it could cause a lot of draws.

Personally I think a half point scoring system would help MMA remain accurate and Object

Can't remember who it was a few months ago, but a guy got robbed with a draw because the retard judges gave a 10-8 for a round where a dude had his back for a while but didn't throw any strikes or attempt any subs. Brutal. Think he was Mexican.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but I am unable to find any evidence this change has been made.

It seems like the podcaster was theorizing.

The amount of people who are accepting this Sherdog thread headline without checking the source or questioning it is.... very fitting for 2021.

Absolutely it should. It's insanely tiring to take people who are also good wrestlers down and maybe less points, that's fine ( not imo but tolerable) , but not even considered anything? That's sounds crazy to me. The new generation of fans that want to change the sport and actually think scoring a td should literally mean nothing is baffling. No disrespect but anyone that thinks that imo is probably new to the sport (or a troll) and certainly never wrestled aka have no appreciation for certain skills because they have no clue what they are looking at. Takedowns shouldn't count? Really lol. Again no disrespect, just my opinion and i'm sure a very high % of others opinions.
I been watching since the early UFC days and Pride days so im not new at all nor am i troll. I never said takedowns shouldnt count, i said they should only be counted if the guy initializing the takedown controlls the opponent for an amount of time. Just taking him down and the guy stands right back up in the matter of 1-2 sec doesnt count as a takedown too me.

It does in wrestling but over the years watching the sport i gotten tired of the lay and pray & chain wrestling guys just taking down guys and doing nothing at all. no damage, not securing any dominant position. just laying there snoozing, and im a big BJJ fan so i dont mind ground game. I just loath non active ground game. The guys defending the takedown should be awarded something for defending the takedown and getting back on their feet instead of just subbmiting to it.

Which is why it should be rewarded if they can get back up after a certain amount of time or the the guy initializing the takedown should be rewarded a takedown if he can stop the guy from getting back up.

I don't know how I feel about it since it's mixed martial arts and not all martial arts involved in Mix martial arts have the main goal of inflicting damage. If a grappler, for instance, like a Demian Maia type fighter, takes an opponent down multiple times in a round, lands light gnp, passes guard like butter, takes your back, puts his hooks in and then fishes for a RNC while landing light gnp from back control for the rest of the round. This is a 10-8 round imo and an example of a dominant round for grappling based fighters, and grappling is a part of MMA.

I kind of think it should be looked at from a competitiveness standpoint rather than a damage standpoint, but I'm not that upset about it either.

Last edited:
Good call …. But damage doesn’t necessarily mean blood or swelling….if a fighter gets dropped or legs buckle is more telling

The problem with this is the same problem we always have: the judges often don't know anything about MMA. There's no certification of MMA judges. Judges in MMA are often boxing judges given a different job that particular night. There is zero requirement that they even know the rules of the sport. These are not positions filled based on merit but rather appointed by the unelected officials of the state athletic commissions.

Bottom line: rules don't matter until the judges have to prove they know the rules.

Didn't Forrest get a 10-8 against Rampage? I wonder if that would still stand with this new criteria. I gotta watch that fight again.

Didn't Forrest get a 10-8 against Rampage? I wonder if that would still stand with this new criteria. I gotta watch that fight again.

Here is the Sherdog pbp, who all gave 10-8 as well.

Round 2
Griffin lands a low kick that hurts Jackson. His knee buckles as he retreats to the fencing. Griffin locks on a guillotine and trips Jackson to the canvas. He gives up the hold but takes top position. The challenger moves to side-control and works for an Americana. He gives up the submission to take the mount. Elbows and left hands land for Griffin. Forrest continues to elbow the head but he is doing little damage. All Griffin in the second frame.

TJ De Santis scores the round 10-9 Griffin
Jordan Breen scores the round 10-8 Griffin
Mike Fridley scores the round 10-8 Griffin

Which is why it should be rewarded if they can get back up after a certain amount of time or the the guy initializing the takedown should be rewarded a takedown if he can stop the guy from getting back up.

So blocking strikes, getting out of submissions and getting back to your feet should be rewarded with the judges? I remember Chael Sonnen going on a big rant about that once, it was hilarious. You can't be rewarded for defending yourself, your reward literally is getting back to your feet, blocking the strike and or getting out of the submission, well unless you're Willie Pep who once won a round without throwing a punch. I see what you're saying, I just don't agree. A td will always count in the eyes of a judges, the rounds are scored as a whole, they can't just forget the guy was getting taken down.

Nik Lentz, in one of the most boring fights in UFC history held Andre Winner against the cage for 15 minutes and did nothing...nothing in an infuriatingly boring fight, but he did control him the entire time, so Nik should have lost or it should have been a draw? I get that you'd be happier if it was a draw but would it feel right in any way? No. It's all part of the game, you get shitty fights too. Maybe your expectations are too high and if you have been watching for so long you should know to always keep your expectations low.

If you are, like you say getting kind of bored with the sport, I suggest during some downtime check out fights, interviews, read up on or whatever about fighters that you don't know on an upcoming card and that should help you feel a little more emotionally invested and probably enjoy the events as a whole more. I think a lot of fans are getting overwhelmed with the sheer amount of mma, especially the older fans, and find it much less interesting when watching fighters you don't know. Just a suggestion, it might breath a little life into the anticipation you might have slowly lost over the years.

It has been that way since the new scoring went into effect years ago. The problem is the judges don't seem to know it or the commentators.

It's pretty simple. The person that does the most damage wins the round. If the damage is equal or there is a stalemate, you then go to grappling. If grappling is equal then you go to aggression. If aggression is equal. Then you go to control.

Based on that, you should be able to easily determine who wins a round. Also, all a 10-8 round means is "clearly winning the round" where as a 10-9 is winning a competitive round.

10-7 exists but is almost non-existent in the new scoring because it means an utter domination and the fight should be stopped.

10-8s should be very common these days but are still treated like 10-7s in the old scoring. Judges and commentators should have a weekend retreat where they are taught the new rules, forced to watch fights and score them. They don't get to leave until everyone scores them exactly the same showing they understand the rules.

Stupid. As usual. Once again, sherdog thinks this is a good idea, but it's not. Judges are already way too dumb and opinionated. Let's just get better judges. WTF, is it that hard?

It has been that way since the new scoring went into effect years ago. The problem is the judges don't seem to know it or the commentators.

It's pretty simple. The person that does the most damage wins the round. If the damage is equal or there is a stalemate, you then go to grappling. If grappling is equal then you go to aggression. If aggression is equal. Then you go to control.

Based on that, you should be able to easily determine who wins a round. Also, all a 10-8 round means is "clearly winning the round" where as a 10-9 is winning a competitive round.

10-7 exists but is almost non-existent in the new scoring because it means an utter domination and the fight should be stopped.

10-8s should be very common these days but are still treated like 10-7s in the old scoring. Judges and commentators should have a weekend retreat where they are taught the new rules, forced to watch fights and score them. They don't get to leave until everyone scores them exactly the same showing they understand the rules.
More 10-8s is NOT a good thing. How anyone can think that is beyond me

Back