DAMAGE is now the main criteria for 10-8 rounds

Bend NvR Break

Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.
@Steel
Reaction score
I listened to the Sheehan show (see Sherdog FP). He was explaining that damage is now the main criteria in judging to get a 10-8 round. He said before that control or striking volume COULD get you a 10-8 but now those really won't be factors.

So of you take a guy down and control him for an entire round but don't damage your opponent you're getting a 10-9.

For the pillow fisted pitter patters that touch their opponents way 70 times in a round and their opponents don't do much to them they are getting a 10-9 (a Colby vs Robbie situation imo).

Damage AKA hurting your opponent is the main criteria.

I agree. I like it. The point is to hurt your opponent so much they can't continue and the fight doesn't go to the judges.

How does everyone else feel?

I like it, although it does incentivise the fighters to be more brutal / reckless..

I think it's not really fair considering how low they're paid, more CTE, same shitty money..

Some fighters are naturally going to find it hard to win fights because they have no power.. they'll have to go balls to the wall to win fights and get KO'd for 20k show money..

I like the damage criteria, but at the same time, I didn't really have a problem with the scoring criteria, judging was the issue..

I like it, although it does incentivise the fighters to be more brutal / reckless..

I think it's not really fair considering how low they're paid, more CTE, same shitty money..

Some fighters are naturally going to find it hard to win fights because they have no power.. they'll have to go balls to the wall to win fights and get KO'd for 20k show money..

I like the damage criteria, but at the same time, I didn't really have a problem with the scoring criteria, judging was the issue..
9F36199C-5C4A-4D10-8CBB-3C2AE709384F.jpeg

Those guys just aren't going to get 10-8 rounds. They are going to win rounds with 10-9s.

I don't think it necessarily takes anything away but it does reward power guys and guys that go for the kill.

I agree. I like it. The point is to hurt your opponent so much they can't continue and the fight doesn't go to the judges.

How does everyone else feel?

I mean the point is to win the match? Be that be by KO/Sub or Dec. But im also in favor of this. A problem i can see is fighters that bleed easy like GSP did and the Diaz bros.

I can't find a source of any actual change.

I tried watching.. scrolling through.. He had a conversation with Florida's AC director and said "what he thinks 10-8s should look like in Florida".

"I think, a lot people, kind of, behind the scenes, in commisions.. maybe though, and Andy didn't say this.. but I think some people were thinking 10-8s were getting out of hand, and maybe 10-8s were given when the damage doesn't exist, so I THINK, there has been a plan or a talk, from some people in ACs with influence to adjust for damage to be the deciding factor ... and there is a rules meeting every year, and from what I understand, they are going adjust the criteria"

I googled. Can't find any source that suggest a real rule change has been made, in any state or at all recently.

If anyone has a source, or can bear through this entire podcast, post some more info plz

But takedowns should still be important. Like if you take someone down 3 times that should be an easy 10-8

Back