Current Training of Zhang Weili and Rose Namajunas

Who is training better for this fight?

• Total voters
A couple differences between the two is that what was going on with Rose was clearly identifiable not only prior to the fight, but easily a fair to say a contributor to why she would have lost to Andrade. Weili has come up with a myriad of excuses, but it was literally a 90 second fight where she was expertly feinted into making a common defense that she does that is one of her weaknesses.

Also, you shouldn't say losses for Rose. The other loss to which she has talked about having an excuse for was when Pat Berry was going through a whole bunch of drug & alcohol issues, causing enough problems for them in their personal life that he was not in her corner for her fight. She was simply distracted and didn't fight the way that she usually does. Other than those two losses, she hasn't lost since she was 22.

Ok, I shouldn't say 'losses' because she made excuses for two fights..

two is plural..
<JagsKiddingMe>

<YeahOKJen>

Weili has given Rose props for the win, and simply was honest about how certain things affected her emotional state in the lead up to the fight.. Rose has done the exact some thing..

Yeah,
but if she has "dynamite pop" ...
then Weili has "sonic-atomic boom" ... !
My opinion is that Weili is way to strong ,
for her category and in general ... !
Joanna on Weili: "Her punches are not that hard. (...) I've fought with stronger fighters. I didn"t feel that much power of the punches."

Joanna on Weili: "Her punches are not that hard. (...) I've fought with stronger fighters. I didn"t feel that much power of the punches."

giphy.gif

( out of likes )

With your AV, I expect pure, objective impartiality.
I'm not impartial, and have never claimed to be.

But, as it turns out, I've been a fan of Rose since her Invicta days, rooted for her to win TUF 20, and rooted for her to beat Joanna both times (even though I had long used a Joanna avatar pic here on Sherdog).

Rose was the first fighter that I ever rooted against Joanna for, and Weili is the first fighter I ever rooted against Rose for.

I think there are more posts I've put in this thread about Weili's training than about Rose's training, but that is more about what I'm able to find. Rose never posts about her training any more it seems, but Pat has posted a little bit about it. Weili has cut way way back on posts about her training (such posts used to be abundant), but an Instagram fan page for her has fortunately been posting a little. I don't know where that page gets it from.

Most of this chit is a complete waste of time and just an excuse to say "im too busy training" to work a real job...

Run, heavy bag & spar is all they need to do.

Chit, most fights are either sloppy kickboxing matches or staring contests anyway.

Boxers make enough money to train full time, mma fighters are delusional.

Get off my lawn!

Most of this chit is a complete waste of time and just an excuse to say "im too busy training" to work a real job...

Run, heavy bag & spar is all they need to do.

Chit, most fights are either sloppy kickboxing matches or staring contests anyway.

Boxers make enough money to train full time, mma fighters are delusional.

Get off my lawn!

<{hughesimpress}>

Both are good fighters, but I am expecting a far more focused Zhang this time around and will likely finish Rose. Could be wrong though...Rose is a sneaky striker.

I saw some clip of Cejudo coaching Weli while they were watching tape. He is inspirational but he is a dude that does too much mushrooms. He was telling Weili he never pivots when throwing a cross. It's boxing basics and he has amateur boxing experience in terms of putting in a few hundred rounds before his MMA debut. I have to rewatch that clip since I was listening while cooking. I was like wtf that just makes your reach even shorter.

I saw some clip of Cejudo coaching Weli while they were watching tape. He is inspirational but he is a dude that does too much mushrooms. He was telling Weili he never pivots when throwing a cross. It's boxing basics and he has amateur boxing experience in terms of putting in a few hundred rounds before his MMA debut. I have to rewatch that clip since I was listening while cooking. I was like wtf that just makes your reach even shorter.
Please keep us updated about any insights you get on the rewatch.

Working with someone bigger and stronger and just having them maul and frustrate you on the ground seems like actually useful training. So many fighters just don't deal with having a bigger person ride them very well. Hopefully it's not just receiving, but countering, but, still, adding that physical frustration is certainly a good training plan.

Back