Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

Canelo grunts a lot throwing power punches at the bag, almost nak muay level, but I never noticed him doing it at his fights

AIBA World Boxing Championship 2019 in Russian Federation

Day 1 ring A

Day 1 ring B

Day 2 ring A

Day 2 ring B

Day 3 ring A

Day 3 ring B

Day 4 ring A

Day 4 ring B

Day 5 ring A

Day 5 ring B

Day 6 ring A

Day 6 ring B

Day 7 ring A

Day 7 ring B

Day 8 ring A

Day 8 ring B

Day 9 ring A

Day 9 ring B

Day 10 ring A

Day 10 ring B

Last edited:
For us uninitiated, does Luis Ortiz exemplify Cuban Boxing?

I am well aware there are almost as many styles of boxing as there are boxers so I don't take it for granted just because he's Cuban.

For us uninitiated, does Luis Ortiz exemplify Cuban Boxing?

I am well aware there are almost as many styles of boxing as there are boxers so I don't take it for granted just because he's Cuban.

Well, he’s 362-343-19 as an ammy, but very little experience in international bouts. He’s good but not top guy like Savon or Stevenson.

Most of that stuff is whack. Sorry.

You're not wrong about the motions, but that kinda crap is designed to look inventive, but it's mostly fluff.

Bungee chords and beach balls.
It's only fluff if you don't know what you're talking about - Nick and his approach are tried and true.

And it's not innovative - just not well known or understood.

It's only fluff if you don't know what you're talking about - Nick and his approach are tried and true.

And it's not innovative - just not well known or trued

Yeah, usually my being frank tends to lead people to argue my being ignorant despite the evidence to the contrary that's not only easily accessible, but right in front of their face.

The notion of training stabilizer and flexor muscle systems dynamically is not innovative, as you said, but it's also not unknown or misunderstood in this context. Mackie Shilstone and Marv Marinovich have been doing these things for decades for other Sports, Mackie with experience with World Class fighters. However, they were piggy-backing off of quite a bit of earlier research and methods used to hone athletes of the Olympic Sports. So they were only kind of innovating in their relative fields.

I could list all of the things I don't agree with and why, but if you're already espoused to the validity of everything you linked to the degree that you would assume anyone with my credentials was merely ignorant, then theres not really a point. I'll just say this:

I dont disagree with some of the stuff they're doing. Because some of it is rooted in the basic logic of trying to improve a thing the athlete needs to do better. But theres a lot of wasted motions, and movement done with an object that doesnt actually challenge the system being hit. Some of those exercises would be better done with adherence to correct form as opposed to tying something to yourself and throwing something. And if you are going to tie stuff to yourself, or throw stuff, it should be for a very specific (not generalized) reason.

Sorry man, but that stuff just comes off as one day they went to a department store and bought bungee chords, beach balls, and jump boxes from the "fitness" area and then had to come up with reasons to use them. Crossfit for fighters.

Peter McGrail for GB is fighting three time World champion Lazaro Alvarez from Cuba today.

Soviet school [straight punches for newbies]:

Yeah, usually my being frank tends to lead people to argue my being ignorant despite the evidence to the contrary that's not only easily accessible, but right in front of their face.

The notion of training stabilizer and flexor muscle systems dynamically is not innovative, as you said, but it's also not unknown or misunderstood in this context. Mackie Shilstone and Marv Marinovich have been doing these things for decades for other Sports, Mackie with experience with World Class fighters. However, they were piggy-backing off of quite a bit of earlier research and methods used to hone athletes of the Olympic Sports. So they were only kind of innovating in their relative fields.

I could list all of the things I don't agree with and why, but if you're already espoused to the validity of everything you linked to the degree that you would assume anyone with my credentials was merely ignorant, then theres not really a point. I'll just say this:

I dont disagree with some of the stuff they're doing. Because some of it is rooted in the basic logic of trying to improve a thing the athlete needs to do better. But theres a lot of wasted motions, and movement done with an object that doesnt actually challenge the system being hit. Some of those exercises would be better done with adherence to correct form as opposed to tying something to yourself and throwing something. And if you are going to tie stuff to yourself, or throw stuff, it should be for a very specific (not generalized) reason.

Sorry man, but that stuff just comes off as one day they went to a department store and bought bungee chords, beach balls, and jump boxes from the "fitness" area and then had to come up with reasons to use them. Crossfit for fighters.
Couldn't agree more. Gimmick exercises brought into boxing by pt's trying to justify themselves, are just that, gimmicks. Great fluff for the boxercise/cross shit crowd.

Take it with a grain of salt - there are some questionable moments ;-).

Soviet school [hooks & uppercuts]:

Soviet school series with two masters of sport:

1st:

Some variations on soviet boxing school from one of Isaev's students:

Punching basics

Footwork, shoulders, stance

Some variations on soviet boxing school from one of Isaev's students:

Punching basics

Footwork, shoulders, stance

i never liked the european style of punching doesnt seem to flow as well as the western way like we do in the states where we are more out of a hunch than standing tall

Back