Critique my bagwork

Tring to add movement to my routine but it feels very awkward as i feel like i don't have the slightest clue on how to practice slips/weaves/rolls on the bag

Here's some advice , watch some fights.
Not highlight videos but actual fights ( not just Tyson vs Random Bum )

Slipping , weaving , rolling are all rhythm and it's hard to generate that rhythm from scratch , having never watched it.

You'd be surprised at how many ppl overlook such a basic thing and how many ppl show up at a gym , say they wanna learn boxing but have never even watched a fight !

It's like basketball. Sure you can learn how to play but if you want to learn it good........can u imagine never even sitting through a game on tv ?

I'd advise against trying to roll/slip/weave on the bag. For now just focus on getting the punching form right with simple 3 or 4 hits combinations, while also be able to move around the bag in both directions according to how the bag swing. Trying to put movements that you dont know yet is going to be really bad.

^Well if u havent been taught the correct way of slipping and weaving your only getting bad habits copying from fight videos

^Well if u havent been taught the correct way of slipping and weaving your only getting bad habits copying from fight videos

It's not a matter of being taught or self learning.

Exclusively relying on one or the other is not optimal.

My point is without even watching / having seen it , it's harder for an instructor to teach you or show you the how and whys.
You have to have a frame of reference or see it in your mind's eye .

When your instructor is telling you something , it helps to know what something looks like* performed by a competent athlete ( in an active and dynamic environment ) rather than trying to generate your own idea of what it should like.

* even if you can't perform it yet.

Case in point : teacher trying to teach the switch step lead kick : guys , I want to you to draw your lead back but not too much , spring off that foot the moment it lands and kick while.....

Student A (doesn't watch K1 / MT . Experience is limited to class) : but why , Sensei ? Why not just lift the leg ? How do u do this ? Why am I doing this ? When should I do this ? Is this how.....(does the Running Man but mixed in with Elaine's Kicks)

Student B (stoked from watching Buakaw putting a hurting on Masato) : yeah ....I seen Bukaw doing this numerous times . So thats how u do this ? ( does a reasonable facsimile )

Or put it this way , who would you find it easier to teach basketball to , a guy who's never even seen the game played but says " ive heard of ths game . Now teach me " or another guy who ,whilst never playing the game , enjoys watching the playoffs or his home team and is now ready to take the next step ?

Last edited:
Tring to add movement to my routine but it feels very awkward as i feel like i don't have the slightest clue on how to practice slips/weaves/rolls on the bag

Lol , you're right . It does look painful.

You don't need to hop around on your feet to be moving around.
If you're don't what you're doing or why , it does more harm than good.

Just try walking around the bag.
Not a mile a minute . Just a few steps , sit and punch and then move again.
Think gliding rather than hopping . Like you're trying to paint the canvas ( or floor ) wih your feet.
Nice , smooth , broad strokes.

I'll try n post a video if I can figure out how.

I get your point kounter, but he clearly states his coaches have pretty much left him on his own... So self teaching without the assistance of a coach that will correct ur faults will just create bad habits

Altho I agree on doing your homework and watching videos to improve, but without proper guidance you will start believing you can do some of the stuff on the videos when in reality you dont know what or why is it being done

Like if he started watching mayweather videos and suddenly thinks he can shoulder roll like floyd and gets KTFO for it

That's what sparring is for. So u can see if you're doing it right or not.
I doubt he jumps into a fight without doing that.
:)

It's simple , if you're consistently getting hit , you're doing it wrong.
On the other hand , if you're consistently making it work.........even if it's "wrong" .......you're doing it right.

Of course , 95% ppl never even spar consistently , let alone without their "training wheels" off , so they never even realize that dictum.

Plus , I'd rather learn something , even imperfectly , and fix and tinker with it along the way rather than just limit myself to ignoring said technique(s).
IMO too many ppl believe in " omg ! Don't do this or that because later on .....bad habits......etc etc "
If that was the case then every housewife , beginner in every class would show perfect technique in whatever it is they have learned.

For eg I bet you've been taught how to jab perfectly but if u put up a video of you sparring , I could find a dozen flaws.
Bad habits happen but it's on you to identify and fix them rather than willfully ignoring new things , in hope of perfection and / or fobbing off all responsibility to some poor trainer.

yrmv

Last edited:
Lol you really think you can discover techniques just by trial and error

Sparring is for learning how to apply techniques previously drilled, how do you know what works if no one ever tells you?? Its impossible

Sparring like that may develop fighting instincts like not flinching but not techniques, homie

Well " homie " , there's a difference between "discovering techniques" and "perfecting them".

Which did I say and which is it that you think I said ?

As for the rest , that's just your opinion.
Like I said in my last post , yrmv.

Ps - the differences in our opinions seem to primarily rely on your comprehension ( or lack thereof ) of my post.
I suggest another reading and a more thorough application of your mental faculties to the task.

Last edited:
Well it would be easier to comprehend your posts if you didnt write like karatestylists brother...

How is he going to perfect something he doesnt even kno the basic mechanics off ( example slipping)

Tell your average joe to watch some videos of pernell and go learn how to slip sparring, if you havent showed him the movement of the legs hes just gonna try to move his head erratically

If thats learning to you, homeboy, well I dunno what else to tell ya...

Or put it this way , who would you find it easier to teach basketball to , a guy who's never even seen the game played but says " ive heard of ths game . Now teach me " or another guy who ,whilst never playing the game , enjoys watching the playoffs or his home team and is now ready to take the next step ?

Id rather take the guy who hasn't watched basketball. You take a guy who loves watching Jordan, and try to teach him the fundamentals and what's he gonna do? He's gonna try to Jump from the freethrow line with his toungue out for a dunk. And then he's gonna get crippled. Now you have a lawsuit on your hands.

Or you try to teach MMA fundamentals to a beginner, but he loves watching Rashad fight. So instead of trying to learn, he starts doing this shit:

TheRashadDance.jpg

Good luck trying to teach him then buddy

^ You're making the mistake of assuming that everybody in that scenario is retarded.

Tell your average joe to watch some videos of pernell and go learn how to slip sparring, if you havent showed him the movement of the legs hes just gonna try to move his head erratically

If thats learning to you, homeboy, well I dunno what else to tell ya...

If I had to teach somebody how to drive ,online, I wouldn't start by showing him Michael Schumacher .
More like Morgan Freeman in 'Driving Miss Daisy'

Capiche ?

If I had to teach somebody how to drive ,online, I wouldn't start by showing him Michael Schumacher .
More like Morgan Freeman in 'Driving Miss Daisy'

Capiche ?

It wouldnt matter if you showed him the speed racer, if he doesnt kno how to drive a stick what the fuck is he gonna do with the car

Lol you really think you can discover techniques just by trial and error

Sparring is for learning how to apply techniques previously drilled, how do you know what works if no one ever tells you?? Its impossible

Sparring like that may develop fighting instincts like not flinching but not techniques, homie

well, technically, you could discover techniques that way but you may as well be inventing boxing from the beginning again.

more efficient to get instruction from a quality instructor.

well, technically, you could discover techniques that way but you may as well be inventing boxing from the beginning again.

more efficient to get instruction from a quality instructor.

But kounter punch rather invent his own moves watching youtube

Who needs coaches anyways??

Back