Critique my bagwork

Kellogg's

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Did two rounds to warm up before lifting. Will be posting more after getting some pointers. So please comment on not only the technique but what I should be doing more when working the bag.

I'm a beginner, so this may not be wroth a lot, but:

1) The camera angle makes it hard to tell what's going on. Especially in the first video where your back is to the camera for the majority.

2) It looks like, at times, you are getting your feet far too close together, but that could be from the camera angle. Hard to say.

3) It looks like you drop your hands before throwing some of your punches, especially your right hook to the body. IMO, you leave your jaw exposed for far too long.

4) It also looks like your right foot slips a lot when throwing punches from your left side. My coach has trained me not to do that. I'm not sure if that's technically right or wrong, but certainly different from what I've learned.

5) It looks like you are throwing with some good power, but perhaps sacrificing some technique to get it.

From this point forward I would emphasize using more footwork. You have seemingly good body weight transitions when you punch, but you stay in the same spot the entire time. You need to move because your opponent will be moving.

Also, keep your head back when you strike, Especially with the right hand cross your head comes forward.

Too hard .
Not every shot has to cave in the bag.
In fact , not every shot has to even land.

No level changes, no slickness , no tricks , no traps.

Rhythm was too monotonous.

Seem weak* on your legs and with all your strength up top.
Don't know the right term but you seem weak* around the neck. I know you won't respond well to getting hit.
* by weak I don't mean weak in the general sense of the word . I'm sure you can squat a ton. I mean weak as in not settled on (?) too flighty (?) jittery (?)

Right's too short.

Don't seem too defensively alert ......actually you don't seem alert at all.
More like you're just going through the motions.

Don't keep going straight down all the time.

Left hook's gonna rock your world.

The biggest thing is that you move your head with your back instead of with your legs. This is bad posture and can put you off balance, as well as potentially lead to injury.

To get a visual of what I mean, pause the first video 39 seconds in. Notice how your legs stay relatively straight while your back bends and rounds to lower your head. Also take a look at the series of slips right around 42 seconds. The use of mostly your lower back to perform these movements is causing you to lean without balance. Instead of this, it is better to bend your knees and shift your weight to the side you want to move your head to. Moving your legs will naturally move your head.

Hope this helps!

Did two rounds to warm up before lifting. Will be posting more after getting some pointers. So please comment on not only the technique but what I should be doing more when working the bag.

There are several ways to use a heavy bag, and NO, contrary to sherdog belief you don't always have to simulate a fight on the heavy bag. You can work a specific technique using the bag for feedback, you can work inside on uppercuts and hooks and pivot around the bag, you can work outside with your long punches moving around as the bag swings. You can work on bumps and hitting the bag on the way in, you can add in defense to maintain good habit or if you're working only on the offensive technique you don't have to. Working defense is best done with a person anyway.

To be honest, you're just working the bag to me. Typical training session. But if you want a little constructive advice on tech...I'll give you my perspective on a couple things.

Round 1:

The thing that sticks out for me in general here...is that you're a little stiff. I think part of the reason the video gives off this perception is because you stand very tall for just boxing. It also implies that you're not getting power from the ground, which means you're missing out on power that you COULD be using. Sit a little more and move your body a bit. Flow...

In this forum, most of us tend to advocate a rear weight bias unless you're specifically shifting weight forward for a specific type of punch. So of course the recommendation is going to be that.

Jabs in general are done off the rear weight bias, unless you're using more of a power jab where the weight goes to the front foot a bit more. However you have to be careful to not let your head go forward on it because if they catch it they'll be more easily able to counter punch you. You actually tilt your entire centerline forward...which isn't good either IMO. You chicken wing your jabs too...actually both your arms do this. Keep your body upright, chin down. Don't hop on the punch. Keep the elbows tight and relax your traps and shoulders. I can literally see your traps tighten up.

Your ducking and slipping at times goes a little too far beyond the balance point. Keep your lower body under your upper body. Widen the stance a bit. You don't want your head going past your support structure to the point where you're either off balance or easily off-balanced by your opponent.

Round 2:

On the cross, don't lean forward, just rotate. What you're doing is standing tall, and rolling into your cross throwing it downward and leaning over into it. You WILL go off balance if you throw that with heat and miss. So just rotate the hip and sit a bit on it, this way your head stays upright and you still get a powerful cross and don't end up off balance if you miss. The duck afterwards should be just as balanced, with your stance supporting you and giving you the ability to move back out or pivot out to your left, or weave back to the right.

You rise up on your body hooks. Literally, your body rises up. Sit DOWN on your punches, don't rise on your toes, but I like the bobbing you put in between them. Don't forget also to keep your chin down, sir.

Overall...it's not as bad as some folks make it out to be. I've seen far worse. You're at least functional and like anyone else on this board, just have stuff to work on.

Last edited:
Please Get a coach. Coach teaches better than anyone here. Cant afford a coach? Do chores for coach to get free classes, okay thanks.

Last edited:
All of your right hand punches need work (cross, hook)
You are not dropping your hip for the right cross

You are dipping off balance after the right hook

you make no sense, "no shots need to land"? Please dont give no more "advice" here, thanks.

There's a difference between "no shots ......." and "not every shot......"

PS - ever heard of the term "pearls before swine" ?

Trying to implement the weight-on-backfoot jabs and not falling forward with the straights. Having some trouble getting rid of old habits.

Working on dropping lower more for hooks

Tring to add movement to my routine but it feels very awkward as i feel like i don't have the slightest clue on how to practice slips/weaves/rolls on the bag

I'll try to get some sparring vids tomorrow to show that I actually can move a bit with a live opponent. Only hope that there's someone decent to work with.

Your definetly plunging ur weight forward on the cross instead of diagionally downward

Your pushing off that jab instead of snapping

I'd recomend the tile exercise so you can get acustomed to shifting weight back and forth

everything kounterpunch has said is correct. perfect tips kounter.

To echo Bay Area, when you throw hooks your elbows should not be above the line of your wrist. All your momentum/power carries from your elbow and when they are so far out of line with the punch you loose power and risk injuring your wrists.

Where are you training and how often are you training?

I'm training at what has now degenerated into fightclasses. By two different coaches (who are both legit) starting out as either k1 or muay thai. They used to be like even a couple of pro/semi-pro dudes trained but now it's mostly kids/chicks/beginners. Right now I'm lucky if I get a partner who i don't have to baby through the lesson.

But since the classes are included in the gym membership I guess it's better than nothing for keeping active in fighting while getting to lift weights.

Since my back starts hurting from kicking I'm only now focusing on boxing. Once I get my transportation situation sorted I'm going to a boxing school, but right now it's too far out of my way.

Too hard .
Not every shot has to cave in the bag.
In fact , not every shot has to even land.

No level changes, no slickness , no tricks , no traps.

Rhythm was too monotonous.

Seem weak* on your legs and with all your strength up top.
Don't know the right term but you seem weak* around the neck. I know you won't respond well to getting hit.
* by weak I don't mean weak in the general sense of the word . I'm sure you can squat a ton. I mean weak as in not settled on (?) too flighty (?) jittery (?)

Right's too short.

Don't seem too defensively alert ......actually you don't seem alert at all.
More like you're just going through the motions.

Don't keep going straight down all the time.

Left hook's gonna rock your world.

wise advice my man

Back