Crazily low recommended protein intakes

I cited the source in post #18, but thanks for stopping by. I'd stop questioning my sources anyway. Have you ever checked out any of the FAQs here on Sherdog? Many of them reference one website, that's it. So if you want to question me, start by questioning this site in general.

My case in point is the Beta-Alanine thread.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/beta-alanine-next-creatine-606832/

That whole thread is based off of one testosterone nation article and has over 650 posts from lemmings believing it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm not trying to be a dick but it seems that too many people hide behind the "source?" argument when they disagree or don't want to believe what someone tells them. Asking for a source is fine, but if you are sitting at a computer, LOOK IT UP YOURSELF.

That whole thread is based off of one testosterone nation article and has over 650 posts from lemmings believing it is the best thing since sliced bread.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/beta-alanine-next-creatine-606832/#post16500205

The 14th post lists quite a few other sources. And the thread is mostly people talking about their experience with it with some saying it is great, and some saying they haven't noticed the effects. Don't insult this entire board just because you are disagreeing with a few of its members.

And if you have a problem with the FAQ, let MikeMartial know. If there is anything missing, I'm sure he would be glad to fix it. He and the other members have compiled a great deal of information on a range of diet and supplement subjects from many sources.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/beta-alanine-next-creatine-606832/#post16500205

The 14th post lists quite a few other sources. And the thread is mostly people talking about their experience with it with some saying it is great, and some saying they haven't noticed the effects. Don't insult this entire board just because you are disagreeing with a few of its members.

And if you have a problem with the FAQ, let MikeMartial know. If there is anything missing, I'm sure he would be glad to fix it. He and the other members have compiled a great deal of information on a range of diet and supplement subjects from many sources.

My comment was intended for the guy who said that one Randy Couture article isn't enough. I was a little cheesed that he said I didn't cite it when I did.

I'm certainly not insulting the entire board, so I apologize if it came out that way. If you are not one of the "lemmings" I mentioned then you should take no offense. I do have to argue that the MAJORITY of posters on that thread say something about how they intend on trying it after reading the article. Hell, I intend on trying it, but not based off of one testosterone nation article. Post 14 in that article is snipits of studies, not necessarily sources that I can read in their entirety. Regardless, I think starting a whole thread based on one website's marketing hype is stupid. And it was based on that one article.

I cited the source in post #18, but thanks for stopping by. I'd stop questioning my sources anyway. Have you ever checked out any of the FAQs here on Sherdog? Many of them reference one website, that's it. So if you want to question me, start by questioning this site in general. The whole purpose of my post is not to provide all the information in the world, just what I know.

I never said Ensure and Boost were authorities. I just said that they don't just throw in a random amount of protein. Their drinks are marketed to the AVERAGE GENERAL POPULATION, so I know us athletes need more, but not that much more.

You never stated that

First of all Couture states it so you are foolish to argue. If you disagree check out "The Best of Mixed Martial Arts: The Extreme Handbook on Moves, Techniques, and the Smash-Mouth World of MMA" and read what Randy says for yourself.

was the source of information that I requested. Secondly, that's the same kind of crap source that I was talking about. Does it reference an actual scientific study within the book or is it just one MMA guys opinion? If it list a study... that's what I'm interested in. Not some dudes opinion. You implied and directly stated that if Randy Couture says it then it must be true... nice source. I'm sure Randy does a lot of time researching shit in the lab.

Sorry bro, my wife drinks Boost and I am looking at a bottle right now and there is 0 trans fat. It doesn't say anything about about glucose or maltodextrin, but it only contains 33g of carbs, 16 of which are sugars. That is not too bad if you treat it as a meal replacement.

You're trying to give high level advice on protein intake and you don't even know that you're drink has glucose in it? Let me give you a hint... sugar is 50% glucose.

Asking for a source is fine, but if you are sitting at a computer, LOOK IT UP YOURSELF.

Take your own advice and look it up.

Here's the ingredients for Boost...
Water, corn syrup solids, sugar, milk protein concentrate, vegetable oil (canola, high oleic sunflower, corn oils), calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate, and less than 1%: potassium citrate, artificial flavor, magnesium chloride, magnesium phosphate, salt, sodium ascorbate, beta carotene, biotin, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, potassium iodide, calcium phosphate, soy lecithin, choline chloride, vitamin E acetate, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3, vitamin K1, carrageenan, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, chromic chloride, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, ferrous sulfate.

Here's Ensure...
Water (UD), Corn Syrup, Sugar (sucrose), Corn Maltodextrin, Sodium, Calcium Caseinates, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Canola Oil, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Corn Oil, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Carrageenan, Lutein, Calcium Phosphate Tribasic, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Phosphate Dibasic, Sodium Citrate, Salt (sodium chloride), Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Ferric Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin

I don't see any transfat in the above examples but I believe Dave Barr was speaking generally about products in a similar market. Many of which do contain transfats. But he was dead nuts on the fact that the very two drinks you referenced have a very high percentage of glucose in them.

I'm not trying to be a dick but it seems that too many people hide behind the "source?" argument when they disagree or don't want to believe what someone tells them. Asking for a source is fine, but if you are sitting at a computer, LOOK IT UP YOURSELF.

Try actually reading the fucking thread. There are numerous scientific studies posted in that thread that have jack shit to do with T-Nation.

f it list a study... that's what I'm interested in. Not some dudes opinion. You implied and directly stated that if Randy Couture says it then it must be true... nice source. I'm sure Randy does a lot of time researching shit in the lab.

I already said it is what Randy says, Randy is a source. I already said I trust one of the greatest fighters ever over some fat scientist.

Try actually reading the fucking thread. There are numerous scientific studies posted in that thread that have jack shit to do with T-Nation.

Not whole studies, snipits of studies. T-Nation started the thread, that is my point. You don't have to get so defensive. Do you have stock in Sherdog or something?

Not whole studies, snipits of studies. T-Nation started the thread, that is my point. You don't have to get so defensive. Do you have stock in Sherdog or something?

I guarantee you that every study in that thread has a source listed for the "snipits". You are free to find the original source and read the information. You can't expect people to copy and paste 20 pages of a full study in a forum.

You're trying to give high level advice on protein intake and you don't even know that you're drink has glucose in it? Let me give you a hint... sugar is 50% glucose.

I don't see any transfat in the above examples but I believe Dave Barr was speaking generally about products in a similar market. Many of which do contain transfats. But he was dead nuts on the fact that the very two drinks you referenced have a very high percentage of glucose in them.

Why don't you let Dave speak for himself. Fine, others have trans fats. Are you happy? I just said Boost didn't and since I mentioned Boost and he came back talking about trans fats I thought it was relevant. How much do you charge Dave for your legal services counselor?

As for sugar being 50% glucose, I believe it is a little more complicated than that. Sugar can be glucose, lactose, fructose, dextrose, etc. But nice try....

I guarantee you that every study in that thread has a source listed for the "snipits". You are free to find the original source and read the information. You can't expect people to copy and paste 20 pages of a full study in a forum.

Oh I have your personal guarantee? Well wooptie do. I can sleep well tonight. The all knowing Monger has given his seal of approval. Thanks champ.

Why don't you let Dave speak for himself. Fine, others have trans fats. Are you happy? I just said Boost didn't and since I mentioned Boost and he came back talking about trans fats I thought it was relevant. How much do you charge Dave for your legal services counselor?

As for sugar being 50% glucose, I believe it is a little more complicated than that. Sugar can be glucose, lactose, fructose, dextrose, etc. But nice try....

Ok, another secret... when nutritional labels list "sugar" in the ingredients, it will always be sucrose. Sucrose is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Other forms of sugar will be listed by their actual names such as the examples you mentioned above.

You're the pot calling the kettle black when you speak about being defensive.

I already said it is what Randy says, Randy is a source. I already said I trust one of the greatest fighters ever over some fat scientist.

jbho2.jpg

John Berardi says "Who are YOU calling a fat scientist?"

Those snipits are called abstracts. If you want the full study:

MungoMudd said:
LOOK IT UP YOURSELF.

And Monger, as well as several other good posters like him, have something more important than stock in Sherdog. They invest their time to look at studies and 'snipets of studies' to determine what is ideal for diet and supplementation and present them here for others to discuss.

Ok, another secret... when nutritional labels list "sugar" in the ingredients, it will always be sucrose. Sucrose is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Other forms of sugar will be listed by their actual names such as the examples you mentioned above.

You're the pot calling the kettle black when you speak about being defensive.

Oh I have your personal guarantee? Well wooptie do. I can sleep well tonight. The all knowing Monger has given his seal of approval. Thanks champ.

Fuck it. I'll save my smart ass coments... You're not worth it dude.

You can't expect people to copy and paste 20 pages of a full study in a forum.

I can expect a link to an article however. That is a link to an article other than the Testosterone Nation advertisement.

And Monger, as well as several other good posters like him, have something more important than stock in Sherdog. They invest their time to look at studies and 'snipets of studies' to determine what is ideal for diet and supplementation and present them here for others to discuss.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is why all high level MMA fighters employ posters like Monger to make sure they are eating properly lol.

Fuck it. I'll save my smart ass coments... You're not worth it dude.

Hey man, I apologize for pissing you off. I use this site for a lot of information, but I am certainly not blind to the holes in some of the stuff on this site. I'm not pretending I know everything, but I thought every point I made was valid. I'll abandon this thread and end it. I hope there are no hard feelings.

Sorry bro, my wife drinks Boost and I am looking at a bottle right now and there is 0 trans fat. It doesn't say anything about about glucose or maltodextrin, but it only contains 33g of carbs, 16 of which are sugars. That is not too bad if you treat it as a meal replacement.

the guy didn't say it had transfat.

I'd be careful about using these drinks to represent the paragon of applied nutrition. They also contain glucose/maltodextrin, and other than pure trans fats, I can't think of a worse nutrient in this situation.

read it more carefully. btw, it does have glucose, but then again if you use that definition, you can basically say anything carbohydrate has glucose in it i guess as carbs get broken down to glucose

Vedic, don't speak for Monger and Dave. I am having a discussion, the whole purpose of a discussion board. You are one opinion. If I choose not to listen to you that is my right. Don't insult someone for having a discussion.....

I insult you because you are pretty damn ignorant. If there is truth to it, then taht is something you have to deal with. BTW I don't think you will last long around here. Yes Monger is right about the glucose in your drinks. You quote one guy as your source. I quote Dr. Lee Cordain, Eades, Tipton, and others. Which if you really did know anything at all on this subject, you would know who they are.

Back