Crazily low recommended protein intakes

Torka

White Belt
Reaction score
food pyramid, rds's, yeah authority has been getting it wrong since the very beginning.

It would be interesting to see what the daily protein intake is for the average MMA fighter. I weigh 180, and take in about 120-130 grams per day. My overall caloric intake may be too high, though, as my bodyfat % is around 13.

Keep in mind these recommendations are for the average sedentary individual, not an actively training athlete.

Keep in mind these recommendations are for the average sedentary individual, not an actively training athlete.

That was my thought too. That study MUST be based on someone who doesn't do anything more difficult that opening the door to his office.

As most have said, those protein intakes are designed for people who are not atheletes. Obviously protein intake must be much higher for people who are training hard.

Plus Wikipedia isn't the best source of good information. It's good in some cases but it should not be treated as the Gospel.

Keep one thing in mind....As incorrect as wiki is about the amount of protein we need, the exact opposite is also true. I am talking about those people that drink 3 or 4 protein shakes a day containing 60+ grams of whey. I used to be one of these people until I read some articles by Randy Couture. To summarize these articles, protein increases your body acidity and this can hurt a combat athlete more than lack of protein.

Randy couture...amazing fighter...but i would concentrate on getting info from better sources.

Keep one thing in mind....As incorrect as wiki is about the amount of protein we need, the exact opposite is also true. I am talking about those people that drink 3 or 4 protein shakes a day containing 60+ grams of whey. I used to be one of these people until I read some articles by Randy Couture. To summarize these articles, protein increases your body acidity and this can hurt a combat athlete more than lack of protein.

That's why you eat vegetables. It can easily counter that.

That's why you eat vegetables. It can easily counter that.

Agreed.

I analyzed optimal protein intakes for The Anabolic Index books, and it seems as though even most researchers fail to recognize the recovery/strength/growth benefits of protein in general -in particular whey.

It's frustrating as hell that everyone is aware that we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic -which is soon to blow up into a diabetes pandemic- yet these ridiculously low protein recommendations persist. Bad dogma!

Well, David I have The Anabolic Index books, but I haven't got a chance to read them yet. I just want to add to the list of people who are glad to see you posting & contributing here. Thanks man, the more knowledge, the better for us.

Well, David I have The Anabolic Index books, but I haven't got a chance to read them yet. I just want to add to the list of people who are glad to see you posting & contributing here. Thanks man, the more knowledge, the better for us.

Yeh it's great - it's like having an extremely helpful, knowledgable nutritionist right in your backyard :)

Thanks guys, that's always good to hear!
I should have my first article submitted to the forum this week, so stay tuned!

Randy couture...amazing fighter...but i would concentrate on getting info from better sources.

The guy's nearing 50 years old, and in better shape than I am at during my early 20's. Whatever he's doing, and whatever he knows in order to do it, it's something that I'd listen to.

I just wouldn't use him as my only resource. :icon_chee

There is a hell of a lot more to it than simply "that is why you eat vegetables."

First of all Couture states it so you are foolish to argue. If you disagree check out "The Best of Mixed Martial Arts: The Extreme Handbook on Moves, Techniques, and the Smash-Mouth World of MMA" and read what Randy says for yourself. It is a gross misconception how much protein even top level MMA fighters need. Randy advocates greens supplements. Do you have any idea how many vegetables you would have to eat to get the same nutrition as a greens supplement?

Secondly, if you are consuming protein shakes with 60+ grams per shake multiple times a day, you (A) are wasting money as you can't absorb that much protein in one sitting anyway and (B) should go post on a powerlifting website because that is not how MMA athletes eat. Protein shakes with that much protein typically have a ton of calories, so that would have to be all that you eat otherwise you would never make weight. And if it is all you eat then you will have little energy to train. If you argue that you workout 5 times a day, I am going to laugh in your face and call you a liar.

So yeah, if you are a hardgainer powerlifter who doesn't mind gaining weight, by all means fill yourself up with tons of protein. Since Sherdog is an MMA site, I'm guessing most people want to talk about how fighters eat. When was the last time you saw a boxer or MMA fighter look like a round-belly powerlifter? Not often. So why the hell would you eat like one?

The guy's nearing 50 years old, and in better shape than I am at during my early 20's. Whatever he's doing, and whatever he knows in order to do it, it's something that I'd listen to.

I just wouldn't use him as my only resource. :icon_chee

I never said he was my only source, but I tend to listen to real fighters above scientists with pot bellys

I train fighters, they all drink shakes. None over 45 grams per serving. But none the less, I employ as many BB diet trends as I do athletic trends. Yet every single client makes progress.

Do I think most people consume to much protein? Ya, do I think a lot of people don't consume enough? Ya. Point beng, you need to look at both sides of the box. Most advances in nutrition and supplement science are based on BB supplement studies etc.

For the record, I rock climb, do yoga, and lift. I don't live BB lifestyle. But both ways have benefits. Just like training both stand up and ground has its benefits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back