International Covid-19 Breaking News v17: Russian PM infected

Compared to others, do you think your country did a good job at managing the situation so far

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<PlusJuan>

Assuming most people will be infected, it's better if otherwise strong and healthy people get infected first.

From what i can see based on the antibody tests done so far, it looks like most people will indeed have been infected by the time a vaccine rolls out.

From what i can see based on the antibody tests done so far, it looks like most people will indeed have been infected by the time a vaccine rolls out.
The potential vaccine could be useful as a booster at that point. I'm not optimistic regarding a vaccine though, it's really really hard to make, and it seems especially hard for coronaviruses. I wouldn't hold my breath.

@ShinkanPo blowing his wad

I know several Filipino nurses, and one of them has Covid. Luckily, she's feeling better and better for the last week or so. But for a while it seemed like nothing was improving, and it was scary. She was taking out of her normal role in surgery and put on Covid duty at her hospital.

That video reminds me of an interesting article that came out the other day.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/28/coronavirus-taking-outsized-toll-on-filipino-american-nurses/

Pretty scathing, in some ways. It's obvious that not everybody in nursing is thrilled with the tic-toc movement. But the article is a really deep piece that explores the somewhat complicated history of Filipinos in nursing, and the way they are viewed.
I have some Filipino family members, one guy in particular is the most humorless, "all business" type I have ever met. Not sure if thats indicative of the people as a whole, but I can for sure see that he wouldn't be the sort that would make vids like that.
I'm turned off by people who make vids of themselves crying and whining about their job. I respect all medical professionals but it IS their job. You take the good with the bad when you're getting paid for it. I'm tired of people thinking they deserve accolades for doing what they are supposed to be doing.

How do you figure? I don't think anybody knows how long immunity lasts at the moment, but it's reasonable to think full or partial resistance for years based on other viruses.
Partial immunity is not full immunity though, so if its reasonable to things full or partial resistance based on other viruses, none of which have had such a profound impact in over a century, its reasonable to believe we won’t see full immunity to c19. Another reason i feel that way is are reports that c19 doesn’t produce as much of an ab profile as most infections.

Partial immunity is not full immunity though, so if its reasonable to things full or partial resistance based on other viruses, none of which have had such a profound impact in over a century, its reasonable to believe we won’t see full immunity to c19. Another reason i feel that way is are reports that c19 doesn’t produce as much of an ab profile as most infections.
The first vaccine tests seem to support full immunity in monkeys.

Yeah there is no doubt about that. We won't be seeing full reversals any time soon. Really it's just a matter of fine tuning the approach finding the optimum balance between opening up as quickly as possible while keeping the curve below the 'red zone' and protecting the most vulnerable.

I see quite a few places talking about opening up schools within the next couple of months, so we're already seeing the shift happen.
Schools is a mistake, imo. Its May, just start back up in the fall and/or develop a contingency plan in the meantime should there be a second wave, or new data that presents a clearer path.

The potential vaccine could be useful as a booster at that point. I'm not optimistic regarding a vaccine though, it's really really hard to make, and it seems especially hard for coronaviruses. I wouldn't hold my breath.

and especially for old people who will have to take more precautions than the rest of us in the mean time. Not a good time to be old right now!

NY-NJ metro area pop = 21 million
Rest of nation pop = 327,000,000

NY-NJ metro covid19 deaths = 31,000
Rest of nation covid19 deaths = 31,000

Covid-19 deaths per capita disparity between NYC metro and the rest of nation is beyond explanation.
Not saying the numbers are cooked but man that disparity tho.

oA8vAZc.png

EMpw9Q1.png

Schools is a mistake, imo. Its May, just start back up in the fall and/or develop a contingency plan in the meantime should there be a second wave, or new data that presents a clearer path.

But what does delaying it until Fall do for us?

I think it's a given, that if for whatever reason there is a real spike after opening things back up, then they will re-introduce restrictions to keep the spike down if need be.

Not enough attention is being payed on this stupid and unnecessary thing

NY-NJ metro area pop = 21 million
Rest of nation pop = 327,000,000

NY-NJ metro covid19 deaths = 31,000
Rest of nation covid19 deaths = 31,000

Covid-19 deaths per capita disparity between NYC metro and the rest of nation is beyond explanation.
Not saying the numbers are cooked but man that disparity tho.

oA8vAZc.png

EMpw9Q1.png

Antibody testing suggests that some 20% of the population of New York has been infected at some point. So at least partially the explanation is way more people in New York have had the virus.

Antibody testing suggests that some 20% of the population of New York has been infected at some point. So at least partially the explanation is way more people in New York have had the virus.

1000s of U.S. counties put up cv deaths in March at about 1 to 20 and 100s of those counties have pretty not seen much more than that. For instance a number of parishes in Louisiana put up 5 to 10 deaths in March and are still at that. My own parish has 9 deaths and 5 of those occurred mid-March. Why do you think that is?

And then in New York state you have a number of counties with 0 to 5 deaths. Still! Why? Why has this virus not slammed less populated and less population dense areas yet. It seems to me that there is something about density that "activates" this virus's virulency that is still somewhat of a mystery. Like way more so than with the flu. Dose?

CA Antibody tests show many more infected also.

Yet you do not see deaths like you do in NYC/NJ.

1000s of U.S. counties put up cv deaths in March at about 1 to 20 and 100s of those counties have pretty not seen much more than that. For instance a number of parishes in Louisiana put up 5 to 10 deaths in March and are still at that. My own parish has 9 deaths and 5 of those occurred mid-March. Why do you think that is?

And then in New York state you have a number of counties with 0 to 5 deaths. Still! Why? Why has this virus not slammed less populated and less population dense areas yet. It seems to me that there is something about density that "activates" this virus's virulency that is still somewhat of a mystery. Like way more so than with the flu. Dose?

Density I'm sure is a factor for spreading, as is how international a place is (travel in and out). Beyond that, I wouldn't know. You'd need to examine the people who are dying. Maybe there are patterns there.

How do you figure? I don't think anybody knows how long immunity lasts at the moment, but it's reasonable to think full or partial resistance for years based on other viruses.

There is some encouragement to be taken from the immunity seen to other coronaviruses. Studies on seasonal coronaviruses have shown full immunity after a year, and even partial immunity to a different strain. Where partial immunity was found, the symptoms were less severe and there was less viral reproduction. Furthermore, an analysis of seasonal c-v cases in the US indicated at least 1 years immunity to the two closest related c-vs to sars2. Additional studies have found 2 years and 17 years immune protection from sars, with the latter case still having neutralising antibodies, as well as about 3 years for mers-cv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back