Economy Countries are starting to hoard food, threatening global trade

This pandemic also shows the sheer stupidity of nations over specializing in particular crops that depend on a global market for viability.
I recognize what the chart is depicting, but it doesnt show the reality of it....ok so US exports 10-34% of its production.........so what?? how much does it rely on importing??? same with Canada, if we have so much food up here that we can export over 35% of what we produce.....why are we importing so much crap food from other countries??

that chart is only telling the lesser half of a story, anyone that doesnt think during a major crisis((like the one we're in now ...is on the verge of becoming)) that there is going to be food shortages in the US, Canada and all over the world.....is in for a very rude awakening should we ever get to that level of a disaster

also........as a country you could be producing 20x enough to feed the world and it dont mean anything if the food supply is seized and controlled

US-Canada gonna get fat and healthy.

If a country can't feed itself ….. well … hope you learn.
US-Canada is already fat....healthy is not in the cards, nor is it even possible to be fat and healthy at the same time....

if a country cant feed itself then we, whom are in the best position to do it, should be helping these countries get their food production in order ((after we have straightened out our own)) instead of going to their countries....raping them for every conceivable resource they have, then fucking off again and setting up charities to help those ((now)) despondent people so we can bilk the majority of the money said charities reap in....

in the US-Canada we have shit on our farmers for a long time, we dont properly subsidize them when there are shitty years, we make it as much of a hassle for people to farm as absolutely possible and create as much of a deterrent as possible for next gens to even want to go into the business....that is eventually going to come back and bite us in the ass....

theres also the side of things where if someone wants to produce a clean and healthy product...there is nothing but flaming hoops, red tape and hurdles infront of them at every step of the way........whereas....come up with something toxic and youre sure to not only get major pushing of your product but also on the fast track to get rich....its completely ass backwards of what any society that cares about itself should be

I recognize what the chart is depicting, but it doesnt show the reality of it....ok so US exports 10-34% of its production.........so what?? how much does it rely on importing??? same with Canada, if we have so much food up here that we can export over 35% of what we produce.....why are we importing so much crap food from other countries??

that chart is only telling the lesser half of a story, anyone that doesnt think during a major crisis((like the one we're in now ...is on the verge of becoming)) that there is going to be food shortages in the US, Canada and all over the world.....is in for a very rude awakening should we ever get to that level of a disaster

also........as a country you could be producing 20x enough to feed the world and it dont mean anything if the food supply is seized and controlled

US-Canada is already fat....healthy is not in the cards, nor is it even possible to be fat and healthy at the same time....

if a country cant feed itself then we, whom are in the best position to do it, should be helping these countries get their food production in order ((after we have straightened out our own)) instead of going to their countries....raping them for every conceivable resource they have, then fucking off again and setting up charities to help those ((now)) despondent people so we can bilk the majority of the money said charities reap in....

in the US-Canada we have shit on our farmers for a long time, we dont properly subsidize them when there are shitty years, we make it as much of a hassle for people to farm as absolutely possible and create as much of a deterrent as possible for next gens to even want to go into the business....that is eventually going to come back and bite us in the ass....

theres also the side of things where if someone wants to produce a clean and healthy product...there is nothing but flaming hoops, red tape and hurdles infront of them at every step of the way........whereas....come up with something toxic and youre sure to not only get major pushing of your product but also on the fast track to get rich....its completely ass backwards of what any society that cares about itself should be
Quoting you cause I can't like it twice.

US-Canada gonna get fat and healthy.

If a country can't feed itself ….. well … hope you learn.
This is exactly how I see North America responding as a whole . I’ll take grain and beef to cheap crap made from slave labourers to make guys like Kevin O’Leary rich. Made in USA and Canada and even Mexico is going to make a big comeback prices be damned .

Less reliance on foreign production. One of the reasons I believe some of these larger corporations that mostly outsource overseas should be allowed to fail. Sacrifice a few to show the rest. Prioritize financial bailouts and assistance to those businesses predominately kept within our borders.

Isn't the map showing that the US and Canada have a surplus and export a lot of their food?

Isn't the map showing that the US and Canada have a surplus and export a lot of their food?
I have no problem with exporting excess goods. It's near total reliance on foreign production that is suicidal. Too many points of failure there.

Nebraska currently has more cows than people.

An average 1000 pound steer on the hoof will usually yield somewhere around 430 pounds of retail meat.

By current estimates, we have 834,200,000 pounds of available beef in our state alone.

(Correction: I was working off of an older number, Nebraska currently has 6,150,000 cows, bring the total for possible poundage of retail beef at 2,644,500,000)
Hopefully this epidemic will wake up the pseudo intellectuals who think making cell phone apps is of equal a service to civilization as farming.

I appreciate the fuck out of what you do.

God Bless the American farmer.

Africa and the Middle East have gonna have a bad bad time.
God Bless Undocumented Immigrants and Immigrants in general for being the liveblood of American agriculture.

1200x475-Produce-Workers.jpg

The Agriculture business would collapse with em....Or we would have to pay Americans $20 + to do this thus fruits/veggies would be more expensive, and have people bitch about it.

Not concerned really, but just called my extended family in rural CT and told them to keep feeding the Deer..

God Bless Undocumented Immigrants and Immigrants in general for being the liveblood of American agriculture.

The Agriculture business would collapse with em....Or we would have to pay Americans $20 + to do this thus fruits/veggies would be more expensive, and have people bitch about it.

On the bright side, people wouldn't be as fat anymore.

Idk what the fuck he is talking about but he obviously knows zero about how much food Canada can produce. And we have a short ass growing season.

This is a lie.

After the 2008 financial crisis, my entire segment of the industry saw a near total drop off of foreign nationals applying for work.

My farm personally didn't have any foreign nationals apply for work until 2014.

Hopefully this epidemic will wake up the pseudo intellectuals who think making cell phone apps is of equal a service to civilization as farming.

I appreciate the fuck out of what you do.

Thank you for the kind words.

Be safe, travel well.

This is a lie.

After the 2008 financial crisis, my entire segment of the industry saw a near total drop off of foreign nationals applying for work.

My farm personally didn't have any foreign nationals apply for work until 2014.
<Dany07>

Come to Cali, they are the bloodline of American Big Ag.

<Dany07>

Come to Cali, they are the bloodline of American Big Ag.

You're talking about personal anecdotes.

I'm talking about industry wide trends.

When the economy is bad, the foreign national labor force tends to dry up.

You're talking about personal anecdotes.

I'm talking about industry wide trends.

When the economy is bad, the foreign national labor force tends to dry up.
It's not drying up here...maybe in ur neck of the woods.

You really think either nation is gonna learn a viable lesson from this and enact real changes moving forward? Lol, no my friend. It will be mostly business as usual because people have short memories and profits conquer all.
I wouldn't even blame nations for this. They tend to enact policy that is popular and gets votes. The reality is that people will scream "We must protect our supply lines!" but when they get to the supermarket and they see local garlic next to Chinese garlic for only 2/3 the cost, they'll buy that Chinese garlic a majority of the time. People talk with their mouths, vote with their wallets, and government knows which one is more important. When it comes time to enact a law/impose a tariff that stops that Chinese garlic from hitting the shelves, they know what the people really want, whatever they say. I mean, hell, we've seen first hand how people react to the prospect of tariffs being imposed recently. If they only knew how many tariffs are already in place, they'd freak the hell out.

God Bless the American farmer.

Africa and the Middle East have gonna have a bad bad time.
GNJjnDmHanBHQoV-800x450-noPad.jpg

9JI1j8s8wujEfWcHik9-0BpmuyOoh4VhXIktAe-T-AFyzVScIdJ7g7c_WYkvuFE-28PEuCbH7hOk4DuMGf08KOadEZdfRfA3HFjyq9gzIjkZRyqTyEzvppYgkYTZ4qi2sdmyJaNRwTscrkN1

"The American Farmer" is a faceless multinational conglomerate.

I wouldn't even blame nations for this. They tend to enact policy that is popular and gets votes. The reality is that people will scream "We must protect our supply lines!" but when they get to the supermarket and they see local garlic next to Chinese garlic for only 2/3 the cost, they'll buy that Chinese garlic a majority of the time. People talk with their mouths, vote with their wallets, and government knows which one is more important. When it comes time to enact a law/impose a tariff that stops that Chinese garlic from hitting the shelves, they know what the people really want, whatever they say. I mean, hell, we've seen first hand how people react to the prospect of tariffs being imposed recently. If they only knew how many tariffs are already in place, they'd freak the hell out.
ET2DD2rXYAEuKeP

Last edited: