Economy Countries are starting to hoard food, threatening global trade

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Teppodama, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Skarr

Skarr Brown Belt

I recognize what the chart is depicting, but it doesnt show the reality of it....ok so US exports 10-34% of its production.........so what?? how much does it rely on importing??? same with Canada, if we have so much food up here that we can export over 35% of what we produce.....why are we importing so much crap food from other countries??

that chart is only telling the lesser half of a story, anyone that doesnt think during a major crisis((like the one we're in now ...is on the verge of becoming)) that there is going to be food shortages in the US, Canada and all over the world.....is in for a very rude awakening should we ever get to that level of a disaster

also........as a country you could be producing 20x enough to feed the world and it dont mean anything if the food supply is seized and controlled

US-Canada is already fat....healthy is not in the cards, nor is it even possible to be fat and healthy at the same time....

if a country cant feed itself then we, whom are in the best position to do it, should be helping these countries get their food production in order ((after we have straightened out our own)) instead of going to their countries....raping them for every conceivable resource they have, then fucking off again and setting up charities to help those ((now)) despondent people so we can bilk the majority of the money said charities reap in....

in the US-Canada we have shit on our farmers for a long time, we dont properly subsidize them when there are shitty years, we make it as much of a hassle for people to farm as absolutely possible and create as much of a deterrent as possible for next gens to even want to go into the business....that is eventually going to come back and bite us in the ass....

theres also the side of things where if someone wants to produce a clean and healthy product...there is nothing but flaming hoops, red tape and hurdles infront of them at every step of the way........whereas....come up with something toxic and youre sure to not only get major pushing of your product but also on the fast track to get rich....its completely ass backwards of what any society that cares about itself should be

Primus Pilus and Teppodama like this.
  2. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

Quoting you cause I can't like it twice.

Skarr likes this.
  3. bobgeese

bobgeese Gold Belt

4. trac209

trac209 Red Belt

This is exactly how I see North America responding as a whole . I’ll take grain and beef to cheap crap made from slave labourers to make guys like Kevin O’Leary rich. Made in USA and Canada and even Mexico is going to make a big comeback prices be damned .

SammyPops likes this.
  5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Belt

Not if you don’t want to get worms

salamander and ShinkanPo like this.
  6. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt

Isn't the map showing that the US and Canada have a surplus and export a lot of their food?

7. D 1 Wrestler

D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

Does this mean we can stop giving farmers welfare ?

8. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

I have no problem with exporting excess goods. It's near total reliance on foreign production that is suicidal. Too many points of failure there.

9. Rygu

Rygu R.I.P. Obie Platinum Member

Hopefully this epidemic will wake up the pseudo intellectuals who think making cell phone apps is of equal a service to civilization as farming.

I appreciate the fuck out of what you do.

10. GiTGuD

GiTGuD Blue Belt

God Bless Undocumented Immigrants and Immigrants in general for being the liveblood of American agriculture.

[​IMG]

The Agriculture business would collapse with em....Or we would have to pay Americans $20 + to do this thus fruits/veggies would be more expensive, and have people bitch about it.

Possum Jenkins likes this.
  11. genecop

genecop Silver Belt

Not concerned really, but just called my extended family in rural CT and told them to keep feeding the Deer..

12. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt

On the bright side, people wouldn't be as fat anymore.

13. trac209

trac209 Red Belt

Idk what the fuck he is talking about but he obviously knows zero about how much food Canada can produce. And we have a short ass growing season.

14. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

This is a lie.

After the 2008 financial crisis, my entire segment of the industry saw a near total drop off of foreign nationals applying for work.

My farm personally didn't have any foreign nationals apply for work until 2014.

IngaVovchanchyn and Fugazy like this.
  15. Farmer Br0wn

Thank you for the kind words.

Be safe, travel well.

Lowiqredneck and Rygu like this.
  16. GiTGuD

GiTGuD Blue Belt

<Dany07>

Come to Cali, they are the bloodline of American Big Ag.

17. Farmer Br0wn

You're talking about personal anecdotes.

I'm talking about industry wide trends.

When the economy is bad, the foreign national labor force tends to dry up.

18. GiTGuD

GiTGuD Blue Belt

It's not drying up here...maybe in ur neck of the woods.

19. Not A Theist

Not A Theist Purple Belt

I wouldn't even blame nations for this. They tend to enact policy that is popular and gets votes. The reality is that people will scream "We must protect our supply lines!" but when they get to the supermarket and they see local garlic next to Chinese garlic for only 2/3 the cost, they'll buy that Chinese garlic a majority of the time. People talk with their mouths, vote with their wallets, and government knows which one is more important. When it comes time to enact a law/impose a tariff that stops that Chinese garlic from hitting the shelves, they know what the people really want, whatever they say. I mean, hell, we've seen first hand how people react to the prospect of tariffs being imposed recently. If they only knew how many tariffs are already in place, they'd freak the hell out.

Teppodama likes this.
  20. dissectingaorticaneurysm

dissectingaorticaneurysm Red Belt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "The American Farmer" is a faceless multinational conglomerate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020