Could Siver grind this one out on the ground?

How do you know? It's not like we've seen much of that from him.

We have seen enough of it to make that call. Couple that with Conor's relative athleticism and size, and it is axiomatic.

We have seen enough of it to make that call. Couple that with Conor's relative athleticism and size, and it is axiomatic.

I do think he'd be tough to keep down but I haven't seen that much of his actual wrestling to make the call. Which of his fights did you feel showed off his wrestling skills the best? I'll go give it a look (not being facetious here).

I hope Siver tries... I'm curious to see how McGregor's take down defense has matured. It's been quite a while since that Guida fight. I have to believe he'd be pretty hard to keep down. Dude is pretty squirrely. It's gonna be fun to watch either way. I think the "McGoat" will do exactly as he predicted. :)

That Guida fight was amazing, who won I forget?

Yes, because Conor hasn't done any grappling training at all in the past four years since that fight.

Kind of a stupid response. I don't think Siver can but that is still a dumb answer. There are lots of guys that had poor grappling 4 years ago and still can't do shit on the ground. Ever watched Rampage

I do think he'd be tough to keep down but I haven't seen that much of his actual wrestling to make the call. Which of his fights did you feel showed off his wrestling skills the best? I'll go give it a look (not being facetious here).

His fight with Max Holloway was very impressive in terms of his grappling ability. He dominated Max on the ground in a way Bermudez couldn't manage to pull off. That being said, we've seen NOTHING in terms of his ground game off of his back or his tdd because he has not faced any great wrestlers. There are a shitload of them at 145 yet he has faced none of them.

If he wins this fight (and I think he will) he does not deserve a title shot. He'll have earned one if he can beat Mendes, Lamas or Lentz.

Another one of these threads?

Fight against Dave Hill (YT Vid):

[YT]jk4EBqXHBJQ[/YT]

Reversal against Diego Brandao (GFY):

Wrestling control against Max Holloway (GIFs):

yNPZM5.gif

y4ZArn.gif

vVVw7x.gif

y3OkD4.gif

Conor McGregor BJJ Competition (YT Vid):

[YT]b_CfSdJVnik[/YT]

Robin Black's breakdown on Conor McGregor's TDD evolution. Upto 3:30 he pretty much covers the ground/TDD aspects (YT Vid):

Conor McGregor grappling open workout (pre-Holloway fight YT Vid):

[YT]Uohwrg3qPSk[/YT]

Cool, man.

None of those videos have anything to do with an mma fight where you have someone on top of you who won't let go.

I could post quite a few videos of blackbelts tearing it up on the mat and then their mma fight with a wrestler or just a fighter with good top control in general where they get laid on and punched in the face for 15 minutes like white belts because that has nothing to do with being on the bottom in an mma fight.

It will be interesting.....Siver has pretty good takedowns....strong and changes levels incredibly fast while avoiding strikes. Conor leads with his left leg and throws with his body up right....Siver has a great takedown he does where he ducks under, grabs a leg and drives through very quickly. From there it depends if he can keep him on this back.....Siver has a heavy top game.

I think this is the best route to victory for him.

Cool, man.

None of those videos have anything to do with an mma fight where you have someone on top of you who won't let go.

I could post quite a few videos of blackbelts tearing it up on the mat and then their mma fight with a wrestler or just a fighter with good top control in general where they get laid on and punched in the face for 15 minutes like white belts because that has nothing to do with being on the bottom in an mma fight.
You are right. For the simple fact no one has been able to. I don't think it is fair to say he would be hapless up on the ground when he controlled and GnP'd Holloway and Brandao respectfully. The same Brandao who is a blackbelt who has a great takedown percentage, who subbed Bermudez.

That would be the same as saying the weakness in Jon Jones' game is his guard from the back. We have hardly if ever seen it, for all we know he could be a wizard on the back.

Rolling with John, and Gunni in the gym, and being a brown belt himself who has shown impeccable TDD and offensive wrestling when he's chosen to...

It is simply an unjustified belief to think he would easily be held up on the ground or subbed.

You are right. For the simple fact no one has been able to. I don't think it is fair to say he would be hapless up on the ground when he controlled and GnP'd Holloway and Brandao respectfully. The same Brandao who is a blackbelt who has a great takedown percentage, who subbed Bermudez.

That would be the same as saying the weakness in Jon Jones' game is his guard from the back. We have hardly if ever seen it, for all we know he could be a wizard on the back.

Rolling with John, and Gunni in the gym, and being a brown belt himself who has shown impeccable TDD and offensive wrestling when he's chosen to...

It is simply an unjustified belief to think he would easily be held up on the ground or subbed.

Haha, dude saying that someone is a blackbelt doesn't have much to do with anything because Jiu Jitsu has any different styles and applications. So, saying that Brandao is a blackbelt over and over doesn't really emphasize a ton considering he's rarely showed any great takedowns or top pressure/control, but quite the opposite: his opponents tend to fairly quickly generate scrambles from the bottom when he is on top.

It's like saying that Kenny Florian couldn't take Gray Maynard down and submit him as if it's some big deal, because Kenny is a black belt and Gray is a blue belt. Completely different styles of grappling, very odd thing to brag about.

Jon Jones has fought many wrestlers, the best wrestlers probably on any resume currently in the UFC in DC, Bader, Hammill, Rampage, Rashad, Matushenko and so on...he's also submitted black belts like Machida and Belfort...he's not a good analogy for this.

The point is, Conor has yet to fight someone who regularly and expertly takes dudes down and grinds on or submits them from the top. Period. He's also been submitted twice in pretty embarrassing fashion from people who took him down and got top control. With these variables in mind....it's a fair assumption that this might be a weak spot. It might not be, as well, but there's certainly more evidence that it is than there is that it isn't.

I assume zyGOAT has worked on his ground game since he knows it's his weakest point. If it goes to the ground and he doesn't lose their, they'll say that proves he's a ground fighter worthy of a title shot.

People who actually think Siver has a even a remote chance in this fight lmfao. Siver is more like a amateur compared to McGregor.

I'd say Siver's best shot involves mixing in his takedowns with his excellent striking. I don't get why people are completely writing off his ability to stand with the GOAT. He's an excellent kickboxer and is more than capable of standing and banging with Conor, although with his suspect chin probably not for 5 rounds. He's an extremely well-rounded fighter with fantastic top control and ridiculous upper body strength and while I don't see Conor losing this fight, I think he'll struggle mightily in the first couple rounds with Siver. This is a good fight and I look forward to it.

I still would've rather seen Conor against Guida, personally.

2001 og finally making sense

Haha, dude saying that someone is a blackbelt doesn't have much to do with anything because Jiu Jitsu has any different styles and applications. So, saying that Brandao is a blackbelt over and over doesn't really emphasize a ton considering he's rarely showed any great takedowns or top pressure/control, but quite the opposite: his opponents tend to fairly quickly generate scrambles from the bottom when he is on top.

It's like saying that Kenny Florian couldn't take Gray Maynard down and submit him as if it's some big deal, because Kenny is a black belt and Gray is a blue belt. Completely different styles of grappling, very odd thing to brag about.

Jon Jones has fought many wrestlers, the best wrestlers probably on any resume currently in the UFC in DC, Bader, Hammill, Rampage, Rashad, Matushenko and so on...he's also submitted black belts like Machida and Belfort...he's not a good analogy for this.

The point is, Conor has yet to fight someone who regularly and expertly takes dudes nu down and grinds on or submits them from the top. Period. He's also been submitted twice in pretty embarrassing fashion from people who took him down and got top control. With these variables in mind....it's a fair assumption that this might be a weak spot. It might not be, as well, but there's certainly more evidence that it is than there is that it isn't.

Spot on

The point is, Conor has yet to fight someone who regularly and expertly takes dudes down and grinds on or submits them from the top. Period. He's also been submitted twice in pretty embarrassing fashion from people who took him down and got top control. With these variables in mind....it's a fair assumption that this might be a weak spot. It might not be, as well, but there's certainly more evidence that it is than there is that it isn't.

You misunderstood why I picked him. Jon Jones' guard from the back sucks. Why? Because we haven't seen it. See the issue with that logic?

Where is that evidence? I haven't seen any. I'll gladly rescind my statements.

You misunderstood why I picked him. Jon Jones' guard from the back sucks. Why? Because we haven't seen it. See the issue with that logic?

Where is that evidence? I haven't seen any. I'll gladly rescind my statements.

...Conor Mcgregor has been taken down and submitted lightening fast twice.

Terrible analogy, please move on.

Recently watching Conor's fight where he was taken down and submitted in just a minute or so, it absolutely seems fair enough that this could be the best method in beating McGregor.

Question is, you think Siver could do it?

333.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back