Could Siver grind this one out on the ground?

IamnotJonFitch

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Recently watching Conor's fight where he was taken down and submitted in just a minute or so, it absolutely seems fair enough that this could be the best method in beating McGregor.

Question is, you think Siver could do it?

I don't know if Siver will be able to get in that close to be able to take him down.

Could, will is a different question.

He has some good control in top but he does seem tire when doing so.

How Conor copes with adversity is unknown to me.

I'm thinking maybe McGregor thought to improve on that aspect of his game at some point in the five years since it happened.

I'm never one to state in impossibilities, but I would be fairly surprised not if he could take Conor down, but more so KEEP him down. McGregor has a lot of will.

That's his best chance.

He's probably too slow and robotic in his movements to do it though.

His age doesn't help either.

Bad matchup for him.

Yes, because Conor hasn't done any grappling training at all in the past four years since that fight.

I'm thinking maybe McGregor thought to improve on that aspect of his game at some point in the five years since it happened.

No way bro, he has just been getting tattoos and practicing hook kicks no time for that ground nonsense.

Recently watching Conor's fight where he was taken down and submitted in just a minute or so, it absolutely seems fair enough that this could be the best method in beating McGregor.

Do you realize how long ago and how early that was in his career? Do you realize the Conor now is an absolute machine compared to the Conor then?

I cant beleive some of the logic that comes up on this forum.. Did you see the video of Anderson Silva getting submitted very early, early in his career.. That made him suck on the ground forever? Conors ground game is no joke now.. John Kavanagh one of the best Jiu Jitsu coaches in Europe.

Actually, I didn't realize how long ago that was. Fair enough. Regardless, still would guess that it's probably his biggest weakness.

Conor is going to ko or tko him quick. Siver will get hit and will go down. Conor hype train will continue and he'll jump past frankie and mendes in line and fight for the title to earn some cold hard cash (>50 million USD) for the corporation.

Actually, I didn't realize how long ago that was. Fair enough. Regardless, still would guess that it's probably his biggest weakness.

Few seem to remember the level of control he had on the ground over Max Holloway with a torn ACL and meniscus..

I'd say Siver's best shot involves mixing in his takedowns with his excellent striking. I don't get why people are completely writing off his ability to stand with the GOAT. He's an excellent kickboxer and is more than capable of standing and banging with Conor, although with his suspect chin probably not for 5 rounds. He's an extremely well-rounded fighter with fantastic top control and ridiculous upper body strength and while I don't see Conor losing this fight, I think he'll struggle mightily in the first couple rounds with Siver. This is a good fight and I look forward to it.

I still would've rather seen Conor against Guida, personally.

I originally thought he had a shot of doing just that (grinding him out, not submitting him fast), but this fight is five rounds which means Siver is absolutely fucked even if he wins a round or two on the mat at first (which wouldn't surprise me at all). Just doesn't have the gas tank to preserve all his skills.

I am a fan too.

All that could change if he manages to catch some kind of finish and crash Sherdog for like a week and a half though. That's most likely only going to happen if he hurts McGregor with a spinning back kick or a high kick or something then chokes him out, though. He's not really a submission machine although his takedowns, top game, GnP etc are all pretty nice.

if anyone thinks siver has no chance of winning then they are probably going to jump ship on conor the second he loses again. Dennis is a game fighter, the only way he would get "dominated" is if he gives in to conors mind games and lets him win that battle.

it's a possibility. both of conor's losses were by sub, and let's be honest he tapped out quick as fuck both times. we don't know how much he's improved there yet, but regardless... have to wonder what kind of heart he has if he gets pushed after seeing those? you can't train heart.

Back