Could BJ make another run at the LW title?

ABSOLUTELY.

If BJ joined a good camp (Tri-Star or going back to Nova Uniao, IMHO are the best options for him), and TRULY dedicated himself to being in the best shape possible, and was willing to amend his tired game plan of just boxing, he definitely could contend for the LW title.

Fighting at WW with mixed results, and keeping his TERRIBLE fanboy cornermen, have been awful decisions. He is too small to fight at 170 anymore, and really only had success a long time ago when he beat Hughes and gave GSP a good scare in their first fight. since then, not so good...

No. If he had stayed at 155 after his second Edgar loss and rebuilt his profile, had four good wins in that space by now then he'd be a lock for another shot. He really is amazingly talented, but he's too content being embarrassed by WW fighters to fight where he should have stayed.

I think it's passed him by now, even if he tried.

Any guy of that kind of caliber? Sure he can make a comeback. Look at someone like Anderson, he wasnt exactly the glorious master fighter he is today and he started making a comback/get up in rank when he was in his 30's. It's highly unlikely though considering BJ is kinda lazy at times.

BJ has the skills to STILL compete at LW. He can beat a few WW but the bigger WW will have a feast on him. He can be trouble to a lot of LWs..bendo is not only a big LW but also a fast one. Penn should stay at LW if he wants to keep fighting and he will be a huge hill for any upcomers who wants a crack at the title.

I've lost all hope for BJ coming back for real with a gas tank and the intent to kick ass.

Yes, but I don't know if he still has the passion to go back to 155
hell, he could probably cut to 145 if he wanted too and there he would dominate

a great way to put unnecessary wear and tear on your body and grind down your physical abilities is to constantly fight above your natural weight class

the cardio is atrocious (always has been really but not so much in the past that he couldn't overcome as a lw - i don't think it's there at all anymore) - he's also visibly slower in both his hand speed and his reflexes

i wouldn't say it's impossible but at this point it's an uphill battle and uphill battles aren't exactly his forte (to put it kindly)

Coming from an ex-nuthugger, there is no such thing as a motivated BJ Penn anymore. He doesn't have the drive to be the best anymore.

No. He seems like he thinks too much now.

Back