Could BJ make another run at the LW title?

Fitch and GSP were able to take him down but prob the two best wrestlers in the WW division
No one at LW is as big, strong or as good as them

FrankieEdgar_Headshot2012.png

Is this the part where I turn into the average Sherdogger and call Frankie a blown-up Featherweight and discredit BJ Penn for losing to him?

I think BJ is done with fighting.

He's older and has a child now, I think he's leading a different life. I think he could go back to LW is he was willing to cut the weight, and give us some great fights, but I doubt he is willing to make the necessary sacrifices any more.

People accuse him of being lazy, but I don't believe that. You don't accomplish the things he has over the amount of years he was great while being lazy.

Like I said, no one at LW

First of all, you originally said "Well on that note, I'll just fall back on the fact that BJ wasn't motivated" assuming I meant what I was saying. I didn't. Frankie Edgar's a beast and there's no shame in losing to him or being taken down by him. However, he's a fairly small Lightweight compared to guys like Maynard. BJ would likely be taken down by guys like Varner/Maynard/Bendo/etc. He's not the same guy anymore.

BJ's a legend and he'll go down as one of the best ever. He just doesn't have the necessary skill to be elite anymore.

And don't use that motivated BJ stuff seriously. You're probably joking but yeah, don't bother with that.

Oh look, it's the bi-monthly BJ Penn hate fest.

it's 50/50

i just think bj will not risk losing to a person at that weight class at this stage in his career

he wants to chase glory by fighting bigger guys

If BJ took some time off and reinvented himself, worked on his diet and got his training figured out. Do you think he could make a run at the LW belt? Hes 34 years old and is 11-3-1 at LW with two of those losses coming to the same guy and the other he avenged. I mean I think after fighting these big WW's for awhile now that he would feel strong at LW. I think if they gave him an easier fight first like Michael Johnson to get his confidence up. Id say because its BJ Penn that he would need two good wins before a number one contenders match. Who would want to see it? Thoughts?

Oh look, it's the bi-monthly BJ Penn hate fest.

i don't think the ts had any intention of hating on bj

I want to believe he can, but what I've seen from Penn lately doesn't make me optimistic.

I think he can at least get a little win streak going and make it to a title shot if he went back down and didn't go after the top guys right away. Have a "warm up fight" against someone that has a name built at LW that he would be a decent favourite against. Than on to someone in the top ten. That might be enough for him to get into a #1 contenders match. Win that than onto the title. B.J. wouldn't be too big of a dog vs. many in the top 10. Allot easier said than done. But he could do it.

I will always watch BJ fight, but I think it is time to hang it up. His resume is very good and he should just leave. Can he coach, does he even want to?

Mad respect to the man.

Last edited:
No I highly doubt it. Once you're up in your thirties like BJ and your career has taken the turn that it has, there isn't a good shot of a miraculous comeback. People already consider him the greatest lw of all time (which I don't know if I agree with), I don't think BJ really cares anymore.

Short answer: no

Hendo is in his 40s and still doing incredibly well. Age is only a problem when you are unmotivated or getting knocked out easily. BJ hasn't been knocked out, even while fighting WW. I think hed be fine at LW if he were motivated enough to hit the gym and cut back down to 155. He has the talent, just not the drive.

No

I really doubt he could make it past

Cerrone
Maynard
Pettis
Bendo

What makes you think he has KO power? Penn has 2 KO's in 27 fights!

He has 7 ko/tkos 4 of which he knocked the $h1t out of his opponents. Sherk, Din Thomas, Caol Uno, and Matt Hughes. I am a huge BJ Penn fan but even I know his best days have past. I feel he could be competitive with alot of lws but getting back to the title is a big stretch

Back