Could BJ make another run at the LW title?

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If BJ took some time off and reinvented himself, worked on his diet and got his training figured out. Do you think he could make a run at the LW belt? Hes 34 years old and is 11-3-1 at LW with two of those losses coming to the same guy and the other he avenged. I mean I think after fighting these big WW's for awhile now that he would feel strong at LW. I think if they gave him an easier fight first like Michael Johnson to get his confidence up. Id say because its BJ Penn that he would need two good wins before a number one contenders match. Who would want to see it? Thoughts?

Depends how motivated he is

No I highly doubt it. Once you're up in your thirties like BJ and your career has taken the turn that it has, there isn't a good shot of a miraculous comeback. People already consider him the greatest lw of all time (which I don't know if I agree with), I don't think BJ really cares anymore.

Short answer: no

Yes he can.

But no he shouldn't.

I say he retire in peace. He's great but his prime was reached before Frankie Rematch Edgar.

I definitely think he could win a few in a row to get a shot. Idk if he could beat Bendo tho, I'm like 50/50 on that. Either way I doubt he moves back down.

Sure, and Cro Cop, Franklin, Wandy or Tito, pleeeease, forget all these legends of the past , out their prime, and start thinking in present

No. KO via Hilo burgers

Motivated BJ could make a run at the hw title. Cain couldn't handle his counters.

I had always wanted to see BJ vs Aoki. It may not be relevant to the title, but it would be a great matchup.

I dont think so BJ's on his way out the door enjoy retirement

Why not?

I just don't want to see an Edgar rematch. Ever.

Because BJ's speed and reflexes have dropped considerably. His age is catching up to him.

When WW's who have 20lbs on him are out-moving and stymieing his speed, can you imagine what a more mobile LW would do?

I dont think he has it in him anymore. I mean who am I to say lol, but naw I really doubt it. I think the old BJ, the champ BJ, is not even close to the BJ of now

I would have said so when Edgar had the belt.

Edgar was a bad style matchup for BJ, and the first fight was still very close (the second it looked like BJ threw in the towel 1 round in).

Recent years of getting pounded at WW, his questionable motivation and fighters only getting better and better makes me think that wont happen.

I think hes still capable of being a very high end lightweight though.

Best years are behind him - The former Prodigy is now the Postigy

Because BJ's speed and reflexes have dropped considerably. His age is catching up to him.

When WW's who have 20lbs on him are out-moving and stymieing his speed, can you imagine what a more mobile LW would do?

I dont know...a 155 BJ is pretty quick and he has more one punch power than most LWs.

I dont know...a 155 BJ is pretty quick and he has more one punch power than most LWs.

Not anymore.
170 BJ should look a hell of a lot quicker than Rory and Diaz, but he did not.

The Division is too far ahead of him at this point.
Pettis/Penn would be ugly.

And the only One-shot Ko he's had in a long time was Hughes.

Back