Cormier's takedown in the fifth

It's nice that he got Jones up but considering he put all his energy into trying to get at least one takedown before the fight ended instead of trying his best to finish the fight(which is what he needed).

Jones was back up and pressing Cormier in the clinch within a second.

I liked Cormier's wrist throw better. I've never seen Jones ragdolled into the cage like that. Pretty impressive.

Daniel%2BCormier%2BSlams%2BJon%2BJones%2BUFC%2B182.gif

People keep complaining that Jon grabbed the fence here. While he did reach for it all this shows he did was show incredible restraint by not actually grabbing it to affect the takedown.

Olympic wrestlers don't put much emphasis on control after the takedown, so they often don't have great control. They got good takedowns, but that means fuck all when your opponent can pop right back up.
It's still scoring points. So not "fuck all" at all.

People keep complaining that Jon grabbed the fence here. While he did reach for it all this shows he did was show incredible restraint by not actually grabbing it to affect the takedown.

The thing is that actually hooking himself against it affect the situation, since Cormier was dragging himself in opposite direction.

Definitely props to him for not going full Aldo, and getting hold onto something while going for a ride is pretty much instinct anyway, but that was pretty 'solid' foul without a doubt.

Cormier got too obsessed with getting a takedown in rounds 4 and 5. I think he knew he was losing and he wouldn't be able to win, so he was looking for a moral victory by that point. I have to say that the fight played out exactly how I thought it would.

The amount of energy that slam takes versus the effect it had on Jones...

yeah...

isn't it weird how jones was practically touching the ground with his hand before he got dropped.....lmao leg arms

I saw someone say Jones takedown in the first wasn't a real takedown because it was a trip. LOL Totally bizarre. If you believe that then DC's TD wasn't a TD either because he didn't maintain any control all the way to the matt.

In reality they're both counted as takedowns in MMA

Meh, it wasn't too great. Definitely not like his other slams in the past.

Idk, it was pretty funny seeing Jones being carried around and flailing about before getting slammed. And that was a tired DC, too.

To be honest, I thought it was more impressive than Jones pulling Cormiers legs from under him when he was exhausted against the cage.

I thought the wrestling was a bit of a stalemate with Jones obviously getting some points in one DC was spent.

I dont know much about wrestling. But considering the opponent and who else has been able to do that to him, I thought that takedown was really impressive. To me he went to the floor and wasnt standing upright so that equals takedown.

It's actually not that great of a takedown for MMA since you don't have control of the person. Hendo got up from a bunch of the slams as well.

Olympic wrestlers don't put much emphasis on control after the takedown, so they often don't have great control. They got good takedowns, but that means fuck all when your opponent can pop right back up.

DC & Yoel probably got less than a combined 10 minutes of top control time in their entire careers since being in a major league like strikeforce/UFC. And most of that is Yoel vs Tavares. If you remove Tavares it's probably less than 5 minutes of top control.

Cormier was on top of Hendo for like 14 minutes. He fought Dion Staring mostly on the ground too.

he was too tired

but still best takedown of the fight

The amount of energy that slam takes versus the effect it had on Jones...

yeah...

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It reminds me of when Brock got Cain down and Cain sprung right back up. It's not that impressive when the guy pops right back up. Interesting position to see Jones in though.

Back