Cormier's takedown in the fifth

imagesmb

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Can someone post a gif of this? I keep seeing people post that it was the best takedown in the fight but Jones' back never even touched the canvas. He landed on his knees for a second and sprung right back up.

Because 2 of his limbs were on the mat when DC lifted him over his head..

Daniel%2BCormier%2BSlams%2BJon%2BJones%2BUFC%2B182.gif

Meh, it wasn't too great. Definitely not like his other slams in the past.

Cormier wanted to win bad man. Pretty crazy that he was able to lift Jones up like that when he was so tired

I honestly still can't believe Jones tried to grab outside the cage. Not in a "he's cheating" way... but that his brain actually told him to do it. If Cormier had fallen backward instead of forward, Jones could have seriously f'ck up his shoulder.

Not the best take down of the night at all. Lifting him up was very impressive, the actual slam was not due to how Jones was able to position the landing.

That's not landing on his knees lol. You're thinking of one of Cormier's other takedowns (earlier).

Was a pretty good takedown

Considering it was 5th round and Jones used Travis Browne Cagegrab, it was actually pretty damn good IMO.

Just shows that real 'riddle' is getting good hold on Jones legs.

He's just ridiculously good at positioning them out of danger.

Cormier would've gotten no points for that takedown if it were a wrestling match.

It's actually not that great of a takedown for MMA since you don't have control of the person. Hendo got up from a bunch of the slams as well.

Olympic wrestlers don't put much emphasis on control after the takedown, so they often don't have great control. They got good takedowns, but that means fuck all when your opponent can pop right back up.

DC & Yoel probably got less than a combined 10 minutes of top control time in their entire careers since being in a major league like strikeforce/UFC. And most of that is Yoel vs Tavares. If you remove Tavares it's probably less than 5 minutes of top control.

After staring at the gif for a couple of minutes I can say that it's definitely a better takedown than what I thought I saw live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back