Cormier vs. Henderson - how does their wrestling match up ...

Cmon, this fight is a total mismatch. Cormier dominates every aspect of the fight with Hendos only chance being pure luck. He also hasn't been a good MMA wrestler for the vast majority of his career, having been taken down by tons of fighters throughout his career with ease.

Being a good MMA wrestler doesn't mean you can't be taken down any more than being a really good striker doesn't mean you can't get rocked with strikes. It happens eventually. He's had over 40 fights. I'm making a compilation of Dan's career...I've posted some of it here. I assure you, his wrestling has served him very well.

It's one of those Sherdoggism that gets passed around and people repeat, but it isn't accurate. Like, for example...."ohh, Ninja totally outgrappled Dan in the clinch!" He caught a knee and laid on him for like 10 minutes. But Dan took him down a bunch of times and nearly knocked him out.

throws_slams_Dan_Henderson_vs_Murilo_Ninja_Rua_Takedown_Battle_Pride_17_C.gif

I don't see this one going well for Hendo if DC fights intelligently, and he does seem to have good fight IQ...
Dan Hendo's only chance is to land a patented HBomb, but I hpoe he doesn't because he would spoiled us of one of my most anticipated fights in the latest years

Cormier beats hendo all over the shop. Hendo has a punchers chance. That's it. They're feeding up Cormier for the jones fight.

Agree with this post. But in all fairness Cormier was signed to fight Rashad until Rashad got injured. I feel that Rashad fight would have tested Cormier in many areas. Other than landing an H-bomb, Henderson has little to no chance....

On paper, cormier has the definite advantage.

Hendo's wrestling hasn't looked good for years, and he got taken down by Jake Shields repeatedly.

Cormier's looked solid defensively and offensively, but he hasn't faced a guy with elite skills in MMA specific wrestling. He could look like GSP absolutely tossing guys around, or he could end up like phil davis vs rashad.

Cormier > Hendo in everything besides XP, power (I would assume Hendo has a little more of this), and face flat-ness.

We haven't seen anything of Cormier's chin, as far as I remember, that lets us grade it in the same manner as Hendo's, but I would assume it's worthy enough to stand up to most things that aren't massive H-bombs.

Perfect. Agree 100%.

It's been too long since Hendo looked decent.

Just a note:

A lot of people ITT are mentioning Hendo's questionable TDD as a reason for how there's no way he could take down Cormier. Realize you can have good TDs and not the best TDD. Just because Hendo can get taken down by Cormier (most likely) does not mean he cannot return the favor.

Just a note:

A lot of people ITT are mentioning Hendo's questionable TDD as a reason for how there's no way he could take down Cormier. Realize you can have good TDs and not the best TDD. Just because Hendo can get taken down by Cormier (most likely) does not mean he cannot return the favor.

I actually think his takedown defense is better than his takedowns are now, I've thought this since about a year or so after the Rampage fight. When he was first in MMA his TDD was questionable but he had good takedowns, now I think it's flipped as he's aged and become a guy just looking for the KO.

Either Hendo lands a big Right Hand against the run of play or we shall loads of threads telliing Hendo to retire.

I am betting on the latter

Cromier had every advantage beside weight cut and punching power.

Back