Conor training himself!?

I think this has gotten a bit out of hand. Agree to disagree. But we both are right in some sense. You, in that many are incorrectly pushing this idea that Conor just wakes up, eats breakfast, pretends to train, then goes to sleep. But me in that Conor clearly hasn't done himself any favors by running his own training camps, and probably has traded control for evolution.
In the end I don't really think it matters. Stopping low kicks is a difficult and nuanced thing which likely wouldn't happen in a few months anyway. His best bet might be to sharpen his arrows in his current quiver and hope for a good showing on fight night. They weren't that far apart so anything can happen.
{<redford}

I remember Chael said something interesting once, when you play the role of the villain for so long, you actually start becoming that character in real life over time.

Ive heard actors say similar things and how much depicting these fictional characters can transfer into their normal lives. The joker in Batman was always thought to be a cursed role of sorts, bringing incredible darkness into the lives of those who portrayed it. Heath Ledger actually died shorty after the dark knight came out playing the role.

I think that same thing probably happened to Conor to a degree. Although in no way am I suggesting Conor is a genuinely good human being in real life, he’s certainly demonstrated some redeemable and respectable qualities outside the cage.

Definitely a lot of wisdom and truth came out of him up until the Aldo fight. I feel like that’s the side of him you have to respect. Then there’s the drunken, coked up, gangster persona which most of Ireland hates him for now.

I think these mega stars are just really hard to pinpoint. They’re extremely layered humans and it’s difficult to define them as any one way.

Andrew Dice Clay would be the perfect example of that.

His persona was a gimmick. Now that he's older, he talks like an old Jewish guy.

Not going to believe that a 30 year old with millions and millions of dollars is fighting just because he's bored lol. Pretty sure he can find some other way to spend his time. It's not like money's any sort of limit for him.
some other way to spend his time that’s going to make him $50M for 3 months of work? not likely

I think it's legit... Because he said not too long ago about how he is the master of this shit and so he should be in charge.

Whilst in one sense I agree with him,
There is some logic to that idea aka how failed boxing champions train world beaters...

But at the same time,
I think the structure of having someone experienced watching you and someone who is NOT YOU seeing your mistakes and pushing you in the areas you're fucking up in or weak in is a historically world-tread idea and it's stupid he's trying to abandon it in on the whim, and may well lose again due to it.

conor is a striker whose coach is a strip mall BJJ guy in ireland
conor has basically been self trained for his entire career

imagine how good this guy would be if had a legit coaching staff instead of a bunch of leprechaun yes men

It does happen.

Mayweather hit that point and definitely wasn’t the first. Muhammed Ali. You see it in other sports as well. Michael Jordan, Lebron and other high level athletes reach a point where they don’t need the coaching in the same way others do. Conor has always had a very self motivated, independent mindset with his own unique way of seeing the game.

Some are more reliant on others. Some are fiercely independent and dictate their own path. We all have unique dispositions.

Although I think context is everything. “Training yourself” probably doesn’t necessarily mean you stop using the resources and training partners you have available to you.

There is a pretty massive difference in the fight/basketball IQ of Ali, Floyd, Jordan and Lebron and Conor. Jordan and Lebron have two of the best basketball minds ever and Ali and Floyd might have the highest Boxing IQ ever.

Conor is good at getting in some of his opponents heads, but he is not even close to having the highest fight IQ in MMA.

More so the fiercely independent and self motivated mindset that many champions have. I simply used them as an analogy.

But Conor is not someone who should have that mindset. Floyd and Jordan and to a lesser extent Lebron/Ali are all brutally honest with themselves about their weaknesses. They find them and do everything they can to make them a strength. Conor doesn't do that. He just keeps to his strengths

Conor is the type of person that NEEDS a coach that will be tough on him and point out his flaws. The Floyds and Jordan's will do that themselves

Reactions: Kb7
some other way to spend his time that’s going to make him $50M for 3 months of work? not likely
You are an idiot if you think Conor will make 50 million. Do the math. The UFC wont even profit 50 million

His coaches are all there to just collect a paycheck, they don’t do much for him

Rogan had Alex Volkanovski on his podcast recently. They mentioned Conor and how they heard that Conor has reached a point that he now can "train himself for fights" and no longer needs to be pushed by trainers.

AKA breaking point AKA point of giving up.

AKA point where Conor knows he no longer needs to win fights to make money because he's amassed tons of nuthuggers who will buy his PPV and whiskey as long as he continues to talk shit and accomplish nothing else.

Already preloaded excuses for when Dustin KTFO Conor again lol "He had no proper camp" I can already see the nuthuggers excuses.

Rogan had Alex Volkanovski on his podcast recently. They mentioned Conor and how they heard that Conor has reached a point that he now can "train himself for fights" and no longer needs to be pushed by trainers.

At first I thought it was bullshit, but with fight getting closer and more content being released, all we see is Conor training by himself, hitting the bag or weights. No kickboxing sparring and no grappling sessions seem to be taken place.

Now I am curios to know, is this some psychological tactic to lure Dustin in a false sense of security?

No follow ups. Why he can't put people away at this slightly higher weight. No gas.

Skip this is you dont want sherdog armchair analysis :

Looks like hes trying to bring back that balanced karate stance, lots of hopping in the first clip when hes throwing kicks. However as soon as he has any intent to throw a punch (2nd clip) He goes back to his boxers shell and bladed stance. I don't think he can untrain the boxing work hes put in, and boxing sucks in MMA.

Only Mcgregor and Perry have ascended on this level, so powerful!

Conor has a round and a half of gas. No trainer in the entire world is going to change that. Might as well save the money.

Back