1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Conor training himself!?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Ogata Silver Belt

Rogan had Alex Volkanovski on his podcast recently. They mentioned Conor and how they heard that Conor has reached a point that he now can "train himself for fights" and no longer needs to be pushed by trainers.

At first I thought it was bullshit, but with fight getting closer and more content being released, all we see is Conor training by himself, hitting the bag or weights. No kickboxing sparring and no grappling sessions seem to be taken place.

Now I am curios to know, is this some psychological tactic to lure Dustin in a false sense of security?

cburm and Pressure Project like this.
  2. BFoe Western States Heritage Champion Platinum Member

No, he’s just rich and has gotten lazier.

3. cabear Brown Belt

if I had 100+ million and was going to get another 10 for just showing up I don't think I'd want to split it with people who probably weren't going to get me the win either. He's bob sapping it on a much larger scale and I respect that. he knows he's the belle of the ball for fighters to call out and use as paydays. the titles don't seem to be worth much to him, it was the money they brought that kept him going. He's a great 145er, average 155 and 170 fighter, but he's an expert businessman and self-seller. i don't like him or what he's done to the divisions with never defending a belt and the rematches after a loss, but I respect the hell out of how he got rich in a notoriously fickle paying industry.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  4. SokoudjouFanboy 39 tried, only 19 succeeded

I heard he's selling one of the spots in his corner for $5k and a quarter ounce of blow.

Kabzie, Jonas_MMA, Wizzlebiz and 11 others like this.
  5. KAZSoliloquy Steel Belt

it’s called “not being hungry anymore”

it’s the downfall of most great people

6. panem-et-circenses In the garden Double Yellow Card

I can’t imagine Conor has sunk that low. The reason he’s always alone in his posts is because… he’s promoting an exercise app of his, at least from what I have seen on here.

7. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Oh yes he’s achieved his full potential and has ascended to a new tier no one thought possible. Too bad he can’t check leg kicks yet.

8. LoneLynx Brown Belt

levels

9. Bowel-forged Stool Manlet belt Platinum Member

Shit, not me
    [​IMG]

10. flowoftruth Brown Belt

Kavanagh last fight was saying the whole camp was about staying out of Connors way and that he already knows everything. Pointless keeping a guy like that around

11. tymikeson White Belt

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Headstash, RichyN, Iroh and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ogata Silver Belt

Yes but he can still take damage which is bad for his health. I mean how much money is enough?

Not to mention he doesn't react well to losses which is not good for his quality of life. I just don't understand his end game as of now.

13. mommysboi420 Blue Belt

Conor is conors best conor

wanted226 and Dutchbawz like this.
  14. Ogata Silver Belt

Is the level of ascension at this level:
    sssjkosohlawd.jpg

15. Azure Sherdogology PhD.

I have it on good authority that he is the super double secret apprentice of Josh Fabia now.. They are keeping it under wraps till the fight walkout

16. surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

He's the head coach. Kavanagh even admitted they just let him do whatever he wants and that he knows more than them. Just along for the ride lol

biscuitsbrah and RoyJonesJr like this.
  17. Zakenkashish Orange Belt

he did check them, it was a part of the problem.

Iroh likes this.
  18. FIghtxIQ Brown Belt

He has always been training himself. He just lost a bit of hunger from before. Watch all his old stuff, it's him training randomly by himself trying new techniques out. Shadow boxing in the middle of the night by himself. He just sparred and rolled with people and hit pads with his coaches/trainers. But a majority of his training was done on his own. Lots of other fighters do this as well.

19. MescalineDreams Banned Banned

It does happen.

Mayweather hit that point and definitely wasn’t the first. Muhammed Ali. You see it in other sports as well. Michael Jordan, Lebron and other high level athletes reach a point where they don’t need the coaching in the same way others do. Conor has always had a very self motivated, independent mindset with his own unique way of seeing the game.

Some are more reliant on others. Some are fiercely independent and dictate their own path. We all have unique dispositions.

Although I think context is everything. “Training yourself” probably doesn’t necessarily mean you stop using the resources and training partners you have available to you.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  20. Herwald Red Belt

You're saying Conor's looking to get out of his UFC contract? Fabier's definitely the right guy.