Conor training himself!?

He also isn't a champion, and hasn't been for some time. I get your point, but what I am trying to say is either Conor is satisfied/not hungry or delusional and thinks he is allowed to train like the previous champs you mentioned. Either way its flawed and stupid by him
That mindset is the same thing that got him 2 belts and hundreds of millions. He’s the wealthiest and most famous mma fighter of all time because of it.

Who’s to say dictating and navigating your own path is delusional when it’s you’ve attained the highest prizes in the sport on the back of that sort of independence.

Although I get what you’re saying and maybe you’re right. Maybe he does need that extra kick in the ass. On the other hand, some people are just different. Those basic rules don’t always apply and Conor may very well be one of those people.

Personally, I think Conor’s biggest battle is with himself. The skills, talent and potential is there. He just has to put in the work and discipline to bring it out. Only he can really do that at this point.

When you hear “they train themselves”, i don’t think it means they literally train alone. They’re obviously still utilizing the resources and training partners available to them. They’re just examples of athletes who are fiercely independent, leaders in their own right and don’t have the same reliance on coaches to dictate and guide their path that others do.

I wasn’t trying to compare McGregor with the all time greatness, legacy and accomplishments of those legends. Obviously.

Though I think McGregor has definitely shown that he carves his own path and has his own unique way of seeing the game.
I was not going to reply to you and let you expose yourself as below average IQ, but I couldn't help myself.

So you claiming Conor is going to carve his own path not rely heavily on his coaches. That's means he goings go to gym whenever he wants, whatever time, easily pick his training(not good ones) and practically do what he thinks will work.
We call that stubborn and ignorant, history has shown in the sport of MMA, you have to stay disciplined and hungry. Mayweathegr & Ali never forgot where they came from, same as Jordan same Lebron same As Tom Brady. Conor has forgot what's it's like to be a man on welfare, like Fedor said, he sees Everyman who's across from him what's put back him into the time of being poorer. It's clear Conor has gotten soft and him allegedly dictating his training and what he does will only make softer. He needs to be pushed. This won't help him.

When you hear “they train themselves”, i don’t think it means they literally train alone. They’re obviously still utilizing the resources and training partners available to them. They’re just examples of athletes who are fiercely independent, leaders in their own right and don’t have the same reliance on coaches to dictate and guide their path that others do.

I wasn’t trying to compare McGregor with the all time greatness, legacy and accomplishments of those legends. Obviously.

Though I think McGregor has definitely shown that he carves his own path and has his own unique way of seeing the game.

I got your point. But I think the counter is that those guys were fierce competitors who were pioneers and legends in their sport, and had earned that right. And their "independence" was unique in that they out trained their competitors. Even Floyd is known to run crazy camps. Conor's "independence" isn't based on the same fire and training intensity. From what his own coach and others have said, he seems to lean on this approach as an excuse to not put himself in uncomfortable positions or training camps that help him evolve

Lol you mean the Conor who assaults old men at bars because they turn down his piss whiskey, the kind that is well known for cheating on his whatever she is, the guy who hurled a dolly at a bus to the tune of getting arrested. Yea, Conor is WWE alright. That caricature view of him is totally unwarranted, you're right.
What does that have to do with his training camp for Dustin?

All this really does add to what I'm saying haha, why can't you accept you don't know Conor, and you're making a lot of huge assumptions you know nothing about. You've seen him post a handful of things on social media that play into your preconceived notion of him, and you're positive you have him pegged

He actually looked really good against Dustin until his leg got ate up, good enough that you could tell he at least trained for the fight competently. All of this takes away from what Dustin did honestly, I think Conor shouldn't have tried to use his Boxing so much, but other than that, I feel like that's close to prime Conor, Dustin is just damn good

Lol you mean the Conor who assaults old men at bars because they turn down his piss whiskey, the kind that is well known for cheating on his whatever she is, the guy who hurled a dolly at a bus to the tune of getting arrested. Yea, Conor is WWE alright. That caricature view of him is totally unwarranted, you're right.

And of course Conor is probably different in private than his social media persona. But that doesn't change the fact that he deserves every bit of his caricature view we all so stupidly take of him apparently. And back to the main argument, it does not appear he has done anything significantly different than his other training camps this time around, which according to his own coach, is run mostly by Conor and what he feels like on any given day. That is hardly a wild take.
I remember Chael said something interesting once, when you play the role of the villain for so long, you actually start becoming that character in real life over time.

Ive heard actors say similar things and how much depicting these fictional characters can transfer into their normal lives. The joker in Batman was always thought to be a cursed role of sorts, bringing incredible darkness into the lives of those who portrayed it. Heath Ledger actually died shorty after the dark knight came out playing the role.

I think that same thing probably happened to Conor to a degree. Although in no way am I suggesting Conor is a genuinely good human being in real life, he’s certainly demonstrated some redeemable and respectable qualities outside the cage.

Definitely a lot of wisdom and truth came out of him up until the Aldo fight. I feel like that’s the side of him you have to respect. Then there’s the drunken, coked up, gangster persona which most of Ireland hates him for now.

I think these mega stars are just really hard to pinpoint. They’re extremely layered humans and it’s difficult to define them as any one way.

I was not going to reply to you and let you expose yourself as below average IQ, but I couldn't help myself.

So you claiming Conor is going to carve his own path not rely heavily on his coaches. That's means he goings go to gym whenever he wants, whatever time, easily pick his training(not good ones) and practically do what he thinks will work.
We call that stubborn and ignorant, history has shown in the sport of MMA, you have to stay disciplined and hungry. Mayweathegr & Ali never forgot where they came from, same as Jordan same Lebron same As Tom Brady. Conor has forgot what's it's like to be a man on welfare, like Fedor said, he sees Everyman who's across from him what's put back him into the time of being poorer. It's clear Conor has gotten soft and him allegedly dictating his training and what he does will only make softer. He needs to be pushed. This won't help him.
"That's means he goings go to gym whenever he wants, whatever time, easily pick his training(not good ones) and practically do what he thinks will work."

The audacity to call someone low iq

What does that have to do with his training camp for Dustin?

All this really does add to what I'm saying haha, why can't you accept you don't know Conor, and you're making a lot of huge assumptions you know nothing about. You've seen him post a handful of things on social media that play into your preconceived notion of him, and you're positive you have him pegged

He actually looked really good against Dustin until his leg got ate up, good enough that you could tell he at least trained for the fight competently. All of this takes away from what Dustin did honestly, I think Conor shouldn't have tried to use his Boxing so much, but other than that, I feel like that's close to prime Conor, Dustin is just damn good
Two separate points. He is a goon, and he has proved that time and time again in real life and on social media. The second part is that he doesn't build good camps that help him evolve. I am not even sure why we are arguing this. It has been stated by several fighters in the UFC who know far more than we do, and even by his own coach. And I am sure he thought he put in a good hard camp for the Dustin fight. But again, as several fighters, coaches, and analysts stated after the fight, he was totally baffled by the low kicks and basically admitted as such afterwards. Which, by 2021 UFC standards is a bit inexcusable if you want to be this demi-god champ which he asserts himself to be. And that brings it full circle; I am sure he thought he had an amazing camp, but if you don't evolve or listen to others in your training, then the result is showing up and being completely clueless on how to stop low kicks.

I remember Chael said something interesting once, when you play the role of the villain for so long, you actually start becoming that character in real life over time.

Ive heard actors say similar things and how much depicting these fictional characters can transfer into their normal lives. The joker in Batman was always thought to be a cursed role of sorts, bringing incredible darkness into the lives of those who portrayed it. Heath Ledger actually died shorty after the dark knight came out playing the role.

I think that same thing probably happened to Conor to a degree. Although in no way am I suggesting Conor is a genuinely good human being in real life, he’s certainly demonstrated some redeemable and respectable qualities outside the cage.

Definitely a lot of wisdom and truth came out of him up until the Aldo fight. I feel like that’s the side of him you have to respect. Then there’s the drunken, coked up, gangster persona which most of Ireland hates him for now.

I think these mega stars are just really hard to pinpoint. They’re extremely layered humans and it’s difficult to define them as any one way.
A lot of men that age with that type of quick fame and money do crazy shit, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. He had a couple of years being a piece of shit, and he seems to of gotten his act together after being very humbled for his actions. And like I've said in other posts, as fans we feel like we know these people and we don't.

"That's means he goings go to gym whenever he wants, whatever time, easily pick his training(not good ones) and practically do what he thinks will work."

The audacity to call someone low iq
Isn't that what dictating your career is? You really think Conor is putting himself in Shark Tank? Point is him training himself isn't going to bode well compared to having others push you and put you in bad positions where you have to actually see where you're at. Him dictating his hours, time of training and variety of trainings partners isn't going to give him any help. He needs outside non bias coaches and training partners someone to tell him.

There is a reason why Bj Penn training with Marinovichs, bringing in training partners in Yves Edwards, Ben Henderson, Nate & Nick Diaz, Dominick Cruz, Kid Yamamoto, Kenny Florian, Tito Ortiz. Showed why he was a dominate champion in his title reign at 155. Once Bj got back his yes men, his career went downhill fast.

There are absolute parallels with how Bj and Conors careers are. The similarities are uncanny.

Agreed. We started to see the negative side of Conor in that lead up. Talking about how he would drive into the favelas and stuff. As if he didn't come from a welfare background who almost quit MMA.
But your point is spot on. I think Conor has gotten lost in his own persona

he’s like 30 dude he’s gonna get bored. he knows he can continue to rake in cash if he keeps fighting and it gives him something to do. he’s also a pretty damn good fighter still.

Not going to believe that a 30 year old with millions and millions of dollars is fighting just because he's bored lol. Pretty sure he can find some other way to spend his time. It's not like money's any sort of limit for him.

Reactions: lsa
Two separate points. He is a goon, and he has proved that time and time again in real life and on social media. The second part is that he doesn't build good camps that help him evolve. I am not even sure why we are arguing this. It has been stated by several fighters in the UFC who know far more than we do, and even by his own coach. And I am sure he thought he put in a good hard camp for the Dustin fight. But again, as several fighters, coaches, and analysts stated after the fight, he was totally baffled by the low kicks and basically admitted as such afterwards. Which, by 2021 UFC standards is a bit inexcusable if you want to be this demi-god champ which he asserts himself to be. And that brings it full circle; I am sure he thought he had an amazing camp, but if you don't evolve or listen to others in your training, then the result is showing up and being completely clueless on how to stop low kicks.
His coach said Conor looked better than ever in that training camp lol. Yeah he was surprised by the low kicks, but that's what happens in fighting haha, it's not like he didn't know they existed, he hadn't experienced them in a fight yet, so he learned the hard way, do you say that about every fighter that is surprised by a technique and loses? What are you even referring to? You act like his coaches, and everyone was screaming he needs to stop low kicks to beat Dustin, that's all hindsight 20/20, don't even know what you're talking about him not listening to his coaches.

Isn't that what dictating your career is? You really think Conor is putting himself in Shark Tank? Point is him training himself isn't going to bode well compared to having others push you and put you in bad positions where you have to actually see where you're at. Him dictating his hours, time of training and variety of trainings partners isn't going to give him any help. He needs outside non bias coaches and training partners someone to tell him.

There is a reason why Bj Penn training with Marinovichs, bringing in training partners in Yves Edwards, Ben Henderson, Nate & Nick Diaz, Dominick Cruz, Kid Yamamoto, Kenny Florian, Tito Ortiz. Showed why he was a dominate champion in his title reign at 155. Once Bj got back his yes men, his career went downhill fast.

There are absolute parallels with how Bj and Conors careers are. The similarities are uncanny.
I'm talking about how incoherent the sentence is, not your point

His coach said Conor looked better than ever in that training camp lol. Yeah he was surprised by the low kicks, but that's what happens in fighting haha, it's not like he didn't know they existed, he hadn't experienced them in a fight yet, so he learned the hard way, do you say that about every fighter that is surprised by a technique and loses? What are you even referring to? You act like his coaches, and everyone was screaming he needs to stop low kicks to beat Dustin, that's all hindsight 20/20, don't even know what you're talking about him not listening to his coaches.
You like very simple arguments don't you. Fights are not the first time you see a technique. Do you actually believe that is the only way to learn/see a new technique and subsequently how to stop them? And Kav has stated that Conor runs his own camps. They just follow what he says. That is not the way to evolve. And just about every analyst and fighter after the fight stated it's pretty inexcusable to be that surprised by low kicks in today's MMA game. I am not even sure why we are discussing this. This is not an new or profound argument that is being made. It is one that MMA pundits have been pushing for a while. Why you are so hell bent on calling it hooey is beyond me but to each his own

You like very simple arguments don't you. Fights are not the first time you see a technique. Do you actually believe that is the only way to learn/see a new technique and subsequently how to stop them? And Kav has stated that Conor runs his own camps. They just follow what he says. That is not the way to evolve. And just about every analyst and fighter after the fight stated it's pretty inexcusable to be that surprised by low kicks in today's MMA game. I am not even sure why we are discussing this. This is not an new or profound argument that is being made. It is one that MMA pundits have been pushing for a while. Why you are so hell bent on calling it hooey is beyond me but to each his own
It's a hard thing to replicate fully in training, Dustin was surprised by them when he fought Jim Miller. Yeah Conor runs his own camps, but it's not like his coaches don't coach him or give him advice, you're taking what Kavanaugh has said and exaggerating it, and bending it. You think he would agree with you saying "he just follows what he says" again; caricature perception.

What are you referring to? Conor lost a fight, all the analysts and pundits aren't saying the shit you're saying lmao. Yeah in hindsight he should've respected the calf kicks more, any expert, or analyst in MMA that's well known has way more respect for Conor than you do hahaha.

It's a hard thing to replicate fully in training, Dustin was surprised by them when he fought Jim Miller. Yeah Conor runs his own camps, but it's not like his coaches don't coach him or give him advice, you're taking what Kavanaugh has said and exaggerating it, and bending it. You think he would agree with you saying "he just follows what he says" again; caricature perception.

What are you referring to? Conor lost a fight, all the analysts and pundits aren't saying the shit you're saying lmao. Yeah in hindsight he should've respected the calf kicks more, any expert, or analyst in MMA that's well known has way more respect for Conor than you do hahaha.
I think this has gotten a bit out of hand. Agree to disagree. But we both are right in some sense. You, in that many are incorrectly pushing this idea that Conor just wakes up, eats breakfast, pretends to train, then goes to sleep. But me in that Conor clearly hasn't done himself any favors by running his own training camps, and probably has traded control for evolution.
In the end I don't really think it matters. Stopping low kicks is a difficult and nuanced thing which likely wouldn't happen in a few months anyway. His best bet might be to sharpen his arrows in his current quiver and hope for a good showing on fight night. They weren't that far apart so anything can happen.

Back