• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Conor McGregor just received his BJJ-blackbelt

Are McGregor’s BJJ-skills blackbelt worthy?

• Total voters
Remember back in the day that BJJ Black Belts could only be handed out by a very select few and they were very decorated. Now adays it seems like any coach can give out a black belt.. they seem to be passed around like confetti. How does one get a BJJ black belt when they have never competed in any BJJ competitions and have no history whatsoever of grappling and submissions.

There is no such thing as work in the gym, you have to go and prove it to be a BJJ black belt and COMPETE at a very high level. Well I can assure you thats how it used to be!!, but these days seems like any random investor who just opened their bro science gym can hand them out.

Uhm Danaher is one of the best coaches in the world.
Never competed.
And no you dont have to compete, there are tons of people that train BJJ and get belted but does not compete.
Mom and pops that does it recreational for years and years.
Should they not be able to get belted?

Ehh, I feel like we've seen a shitload of black belts with worse BJJ than Conor. Actually surprising he didn't get it just because lol.

Uhm Danaher is one of the best coaches in the world.
Never competed.
And no you dont have to compete, there are tons of people that train BJJ and get belted but does not compete.
Mom and pops that does it recreational for years and years.
Should they not be able to get belted?
This is the issue "never competed" you answered your own comment. I find it hard to understand how you can achieve these accolades when you have never ever proven it. Because boxing for example you can't be the WBC or the WBO champion if you have never had any boxing fights, same with MMA.. how can you be the UFC MW champion if you have never had any fights

Definitely back in early 90s you could never become a 6th degree black belt in BJJ without having an extensive career, it would be totally unheard of. But these days it seems all too easy without any proof

If Conor had thousands of BJJ matches and tournaments like Werdum for example, then thats different and he deserves it and earned it and proved it. Werdum is a real black belt because he has proved it over a long period.

I still wouldn't pick him to win a grappling match with Cub Swanson.

Mcgregor winning his next fight by sub confirmed.

This is the issue "never competed" you answered your own comment. I find it hard to understand how you can achieve these accolades when you have never ever proven it. Because boxing for example you can't be the WBC or the WBO champion if you have never had any boxing fights, same with MMA.. how can you be the UFC MW champion if you have never had any fights

Definitely back in early 90s you could never become a 6th degree black belt in BJJ without having an extensive career, it would be totally unheard of. But these days it seems all too easy without any proof

If Conor had thousands of BJJ matches and tournaments like Werdum for example, then thats different and he deserves it and earned it and proved it. Werdum is a real black belt because he has proved it over a long period.

What?
Getting a black belt is not the same thing as winning a championship...
Its not even in the same ball park. Thats just silly.

So Danaher is not a legit black belt?
You realize who trains under him..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Danaher_(martial_artist)

Also degrees in black belt is TIME not competition.
Anderson silva is a 3:e black belt in BJJ I cant recall any high level BJJ wins.

Comparing someone's BJJ in MMA, is not the same as someone's pure BJJ.

There are a lot of things that work when you're not getting punched in the face. Also, the main goal of MMA when someone is grappling with you, is to stand back up and disengage. This is not the same for in a BJJ competition.

Also, the 2 or so hours Conor has spent in the octagon fighting, are not fully representative of what he does in the thousands of hours he spends training outside of it.

I'm not really a Conor fan, just thought it's best to say this.

Also the fact that Chase Hooper and Brian Kelleher, who have achieved fuck all in the octagon are the UFC fighters calling him out for it, says a lot.

mcdojo.png

You're right. I should take the random Sherdogger opinion over the best no-gi grappler on the planet. Makes sense bud.
You’re probably all the yes voters from all your troll accounts including this one. I guess anyone even cans like Conor can get a black belt, at least buy one lmao.

Comparing someone's BJJ in MMA, is not the same as someone's pure BJJ.

There are a lot of things that work when you're not getting punched in the face. Also, the main goal of MMA when someone is grappling with you, is to stand back up and disengage. This is not the same for in a BJJ competition.

Also, the 2 or so hours Conor has spent in the octagon fighting, are not fully representative of what he does in the thousands of hours he spends training outside of it.

I'm not really a Conor fan, just thought it's best to say this.

Also the fact that Chase Hooper and Brian Kelleher, who have achieved fuck all in the octagon are the UFC fighters calling him out for it, says a lot.

How much of it fails when the guy att bottom doesn't want to play guard but get Up instead?

Remember back in the day that BJJ Black Belts could only be handed out by a very select few and they were very decorated. Now adays it seems like any coach can give out a black belt.. they seem to be passed around like confetti. How does one get a BJJ black belt when they have never competed in any BJJ competitions and have no history whatsoever of grappling and submissions.

There is no such thing as work in the gym, you have to go and prove it to be a BJJ black belt and COMPETE at a very high level. Well I can assure you thats how it used to be!!, but these days seems like any random investor who just opened their bro science gym can hand them out.

Belts are based on training time, not competition

I mean, he has escaped quite a lot of submission attempts from really good grapplers, didn't he hit an x-guard sweep against Diaz as well? This would indicate pretty good BJJ skills. Don't know if he's a legit black belt though, haven't seen enough grappling from him to make up my mind.

Are we disputing the legitimacy of that belt because it's Conor?

People saying no have no idea what they are talking about lol

hkzjtss2zbmb1.png
Conor Derangement Syndrome in full effect in this thread. People STILL acting like the dude can’t grapple.

He’s been a brown belt for what, 7 years? Even if he hasn’t been putting the work in as consistently since the Mayweather fight he’s still got a shitload of experience. Multiple world-class grapplers have given Conor his credits over and over yet Joe Schmo from Sherdog is convinced he’s a can lmfao, dude’s problem always has been cardio, not grappling.

Back